• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Noticed the legendary BBC U15 team of 2013 lost their first game of 2014 to TSS. From what I hear, only one boy is playing First XV so what has happened? Injuries?

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Noticed the legendary BBC U15 team of 2013 lost their first game of 2014 to TSS. From what I hear, only one boy is playing First XV so what has happened? Injuries?
I believe its 2 boys, but close enough.
BBC 12-0 up and coasting, then 29 unanswered points.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
IGS First XV 2014​
1. Braden Schiller​
2. Unga Wolske​
3. Shambeckler Vui​
4. Harry Douglas​
5. Jake Anderson​
6. Jaidan Schultz​
7. Sam Wallace​
8. Maranatha AJ Raeli​
9. Harry Parcell​
10. Lachlan Vellacott​
11. Bryce Edwards​
12. Ethan Page​
13. Geoffery Robertson​
14. Jackson Weir​
15. Jacob Teevan​

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
I know this a sensitive issue but could anyone here care to explain how Hiale Roycroft is deemed to be effectively less elegible to play firsts footy as a student brought in during term 2 of 2013 then all the other students brought in on scholarships at the commencement of this year?

Can anyone also confirm if Richie Asiata ran on during Churchies win over IGS? Off memory he was brought in mid-semester 2013.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I know this a sensitive issue but could anyone here care to explain how Hiale Roycroft is deemed to be effectively less elegible to play firsts footy as a student brought in during term 2 of 2013 then all the other students brought in on scholarships at the commencement of this year?

Can anyone also confirm if Richie Asiata ran on during Churchies win over IGS? Off memory he was brought in mid-semester 2013.

Can confirm Richie Asiata ran on. Who was 12 for GT? Was he much better than Hiale?

Rouge

Bob McCowan (2)
At 39-0 Barker called on the BBC boys to start playing.
From there they won the balance of the match 10-7 which shows what they were capable of.
Final score TSS 46 BBC 10.
Just some arsey tries let them get away.
And its just 1 game.
BBC can still win this comp! They're on the same points as Nudgee.

I think it's going to be a very long season for BBC, the big forward pack looks very slow and not committed, also the backs seem to crab across the field.
Barker has a hard road ahead to get the boys firing.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

It is due to a rule that I was told was brought in late last year but has not been published on the GPS Qld website. So I cannot state as absolute fact that this is the rule.

But this rule supposedly requires a student who is on a scholarship to have commenced at the beginning of term 1 in year 11 to be eligible to play in Firsts rugby (not sure of other sports)

Apparently Hiale Roycroft did not commence until Term 2 last year in yr11 on a part scholarship.

The confusion over his eligibility not being known was due to this rule being made retrospective which did not appear to be consistent with other rules made by the Qld GPS Assoc.

Other players from other schools that did not start in Term 1 of year 11 last year have been stated by their schools to be full fee paying students for the whole of the year and are therefore eligible. GT have put up their hand and said that Roycroft was not eligible. It is yet to be stated which school has kicked up the stink to cause this.

But like I said in an earlier post, I heard a couple of very different versions from different levels of source but this one sounded the most plausible and from a couple of sources.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hi King

yes - I started with 4/4 for round 1. I was closest with the ACGS-IGS score but there were some blow outs in other matches with scores but not the outcomes.

Well done - which account was yours on the Tipping page? I see RuggasXV (I'm assuming a fluke :p ), "grassy", "mungindigrasshoppers", and BraveandGame all had perfect scores.

BBC have the cattle, and they don't yet have massive injury tolls and they have the depth and they have the coaching experience so can GSP or Spikhaza or someone tell me what they honestly think it is??? All jokes aside - this was a ridiculous score.

They certainly do - my only thoughts were the same as Dark Sharks, they must be over worked. As far as I could tell BBC had at least 6 trial matches, and possibly 7. Churchie had 6 I believe, not including their tour to Scotland. These two schools have both had huge preseasons. Churchie according to rumours start their pre-season in November each year! Curious to see the difference in results. Were TSS just that good? I remember seeing their trial against Toowoomba and being very unimpressed. I can't wait to read @Sam Hausers match report tomorrow morning on the front page

Some random musings on other games.
BGS only had interest in the rugby program during Brian Short's final years as headmaster - he was going to see the 100 -0 mercy call off result during the BSHS 08-09 reign righted on his watch. With the premiership box ticked, the only numbers Grammar are worried about now are OPs and starting graduate salaries. Well done GT, you'll win a few more yet.

Don't quite agree with you here. Let's not forget about BGS' tumultuous off season. The forward pack outside of Dooley and Egan have zero First XV experience, and Egan was injured for round 1. The backline in an ideal world might have gone something like

9. Halliday
10. Sly (who spent a long time this pre-season injured - he tells me he's lost 10% vision in one of his eyes after accidentally head butting a touchie's flag in a league match)
11. Wolstenholme
12. McCorley
13. Lanskey
14. Forsyth
15. Fison

That's a lot of punch lost in the backline. McCorley was in fine form before he withdrew from the school with some serious personal issues, and cracked GPS 3.
Lanskey started in that U16 Origin side, but had a shoulder reco 16 weeks ago (eying an optimistic return against Churchie - the coaches are advising against though)
Forsyth, don't get me started... He will play very well in the GT 16As. It'll be interesting to see if the 'Hiale rule' will apply to him next year...........

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Hi King ...... ..... ....

the dressing room - BBC have the cattle, and they don't yet have massive injury tolls and they have the depth and they have the coaching experience so can GSP or Spikhaza or someone tell me what they honestly think it is??? All jokes aside - this was a ridiculous score.

All I can say is that in my decade of watching 1st xv rugby I have never seen a team that flat.They were exhausted and unstructured after 15 minutes.It was ridiculous .Examples:
1) Dylan Leyland was the biggest player on the field ,a 2nd year 1st xv player and Qld 2 lock.I did not see him touch the ball';
2) Farrell (7) is the best athlete in the BBC team and Qld 1 player.He did nothing.

In the trials BBC steamrolled TSS without their stars.It was woeful.No goalkicker ,lost 5 lineouts with the 2 biggest locks in the comp. Two representetive props and the scrum was pushed around.
Note to selectors-John Tamoura (a workhorse ) had a blinder in the 2nds as did Tom Jellie(15).
oh -I forgot Jellie was in Noel Mcleans camp.
Phillpotts where are you.

a star team will always beat a team of .........

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
U15A , IGS 20 d ACGS 14,

U14A IGS 13 d ACGS 10, T

U13A, IGS 24 d ACGS 0,
Is anyone surprised by this?
BSHS & BBC put 50 points on IGS in 13A in pre season.
I heard ACGS 15A was a hot team.IGS only have 2 teams in each age I think.

Stillnoidea

Peter Burge (5)
Much can be said about the TSS v BBC game but to sum it up BBC played a shocker.
BBC:
i. no structure in the first half
ii. most forwards didn't clean out effectively (ie driving past the ball) which meant too many needed at the break down.
iii. scrum obviously out-pushed by TSS
iv. terrible at the front of the line-out

TSS played a typical well structured game and reaped the results in the first half.

Second half, BBC returned to a simple forward hit-up pattern and finally put some pressure, resulting in 2 ties each (?).

TSS will be a force this year. BBC will need to play some simple rugby.

I thought the BBC scrum held their own in the first half at least. It was mainly in the second half I thought they were out muscled. Some changes in the backs seemed to make the attacking difference in the second half. Agree their hooking woes continue.
Shell shocked by TSS I think and unable to fully recover. Harsh introduction to 1st XV for some of the BBC boys.
I heard that the flu had raged through the squad in the last couple of weeks. No excuses but probably didn't help.

SideKick

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought the BBC scrum held their own in the first half at least. It was mainly in the second half I thought they were out muscled. Some changes in the backs seemed to make the attacking difference in the second half. Agree their hooking woes continue.
Shell shocked by TSS I think and unable to fully recover. Harsh introduction to 1st XV for some of the BBC boys.
I heard that the flu had raged through the squad in the last couple of weeks. No excuses but probably didn't help.
Yes, it was a 'welcome to 1st XV rugby' to some young players who are used to being stars: the BBC front row seemed to hold it's own or better, but the scrum appeared to lack shove from behind. But terrible lack of structure in the 1st 1/2.

NextPropModel

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes, it was a 'welcome to 1st XV rugby' to some young players who are used to being stars: the BBC front row seemed to hold it's own or better, but the scrum appeared to lack shove from behind. But terrible lack of structure in the 1st 1/2.

Agreed, the front row seemed solid, although slightly less so in the 2nd half. Think you're right re: shove from behind. #6 looked like he was only about 60kg, and #8 not much more. Missing the muscle/grunt of Tuuga and Gunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.