• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamo

Bob McCowan (2)
Ippy has got problems , rob Charles was the coach at the beginning of the year , as per ippy website , but apparently the players didn't think he was up to it or didn't get along with him , people think David eagles is the coach ???? Which has never been confirmed formally

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
Ippy has got problems , rob Charles was the coach at the beginning of the year , as per ippy website , but apparently the players didn't think he was up to it or didn't get along with him , people think David eagles is the coach ???? Which has never been confirmed formally

Charles & Eagle both coach the team. Both were at Churchie on the weekend.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Ippy has got problems , rob Charles was the coach at the beginning of the year , as per ippy website , but apparently the players didn't think he was up to it or didn't get along

Sounds like the inmates running the asylum. I doubt that would be the case.

Jamo

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep such a shame ippy grammar a great tradition over the years , but yes cash strapped , but at least the boys that have been they for the long haul won't get replaced buy buy ins like churchie and Bgs have done

Headgear

Bob McCowan (2)
Charles is the head coach of IGS 1st XV, Eagle assists. Eagle is the rugby advisor to all age group coaches (rugby director role). If IGS rugby was in such bad shape then why did they win 12a, 13a, 14a, 15a, and 2nds against Churchie, a school twice the size in numbers and finances. Pretty sure a lot of rugby money was spent preparing new rugby fields at their Brassall complex too.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Charles is the head coach of IGS 1st XV, Eagle assists. Eagle is the rugby advisor to all age group coaches (rugby director role). If IGS rugby was in such bad shape then why did they win 12a, 13a, 14a, 15a, and 2nds against Churchie, a school twice the size in numbers and finances. Pretty sure a lot of rugby money was spent preparing new rugby fields at their Brassall complex too.

Agreed, I thought it was quite a good day for IGS, although I don't know how the B and C teams went. It's painful to see people judging a school's rugby program based on the performance of their First XV.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
IGS seems to be doing considerably better than BGS at present. On the weekend BGS won three games 15B, 12A and 11B and drew 16 C lost all the rest and a lot by 20+ points.

They lost the 4 Open games by a combined 128-8 and the 13a - First XV 143-25

Seems like Rugby has slipped down the list at BGS as well.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
IGS seems to be doing considerably better than BGS at present. On the weekend BGS won three games 15B, 12A and 11B and drew 16 C lost all the rest and a lot by 20+ points.

They lost the 4 Open games by a combined 128-8 and the 13a - First XV 143-25

Seems like Rugby has slipped down the list at BGS as well.

In fairness to BGS, they don't do much of a pre-season outside of the firsts. At least I don't think they do. So their results from the first few rounds will be poor until this changes.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
In fairness to BGS, they don't do much of a pre-season outside of the firsts. At least I don't think they do. So their results from the first few rounds will be poor until this changes.

These things go in cycles, GT was there only a few years back probably worse, but in modern day GPS Rugby if you take your eye of the ball (pun intended) you slip down the ladder very quickly.

Quality coaching even in the lower grade especially in the younger age groups and some sort of recruitment program seem bare minimal to complete these days.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think BBC will struggle this year to get out of the bottom half of the table despite pre-season predictions. Their tight forwards are big yet look sluggish in a competition where speed, accuracy, and aggression in the piggy's seem to be the way to win. Their loose forwards also lacked all-around against TSS, though returns from injury may help.
The back line has some individual skill, but don't physically dominate in attack or defense, and lack cohesion. Also, it does not feel like there is an inspirational "game breaker" on the field (ala tuttle, horan, greene, perese) though some come close especially through no lack of effort (Dempsey).
My best advice ( not worth much) is perhaps they need to try playing "JakeBall", keeping it in tight, but I am not confident in their ability to prevent turnovers over the ball.
Plus the lineout looks weak and also their kicking game.
Still early days, and my only knowledge is from following this thread and watching livestream from the USA, but the GPS season can be over very fast once you lose one or two games.
That's my 2 cents (yes BBC Old Boy, but a poor working one), good luck to all the lads and all schools next week!

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
I think BBC will struggle this year to get out of the bottom half of the table despite pre-season predictions. Their tight forwards are big yet look sluggish in a competition where speed, accuracy, and aggression in the piggy's seem to be the way to win. Their loose forwards also lacked all-around against TSS, though returns from injury may help.
The back line has some individual skill, but don't physically dominate in attack or defense, and lack cohesion. Also, it does not feel like there is an inspirational "game breaker" on the field (ala tuttle, horan, greene, perese) though some come close especially through no lack of effort (Dempsey).
My best advice ( not worth much) is perhaps they need to try playing "JakeBall", keeping it in tight, but I am not confident in their ability to prevent turnovers over the ball.
Plus the lineout looks weak and also their kicking game.
Still early days, and my only knowledge is from following this thread and watching livestream from the USA, but the GPS season can be over very fast once you lose one or two games.
That's my 2 cents (yes BBC Old Boy, but a poor working one), good luck to all the lads and all schools next week!

Having an exit strategy from their own 22, other than pass to someone standing still would also help.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok so Round 1 is done and dusted. I was pretty happy with my form getting all tips right. My margin of 3 for TSS beating BBC was "slightly" out, but that was based on the BBC Bus with the forwards on it actually leaving Toowong, that didn't happen (it's still there apparently - which is handy for this weekend!) so the blowout was expected.

And in other news the Bulimba Wax Back and Crack has been doing a roaring trade from the vouchers it handed out post the Churchie game to the Ippy people scouring Woolloongabba for their cars. Lucky Ippy has the bye to recover...

TSS V GT
The Catholic People Movers will make their way down the Pacific Highway for a game they will think they should win. TSS will be happier than a dog with 2 preverbials after the first half slaughter of BBC the previous Saturday.
This is going to be a ding-dong battle of well inflated egos with the home team just getting home by the thickness of a Gold Coast Bikies jacket.
TSS by 3

BBC V TGS
The T-Ba boys will have recovered from the sausage roll induced food poisoning and a close loss at Carina last Saturday and will arrive pretty bullish about a win and clearing out the BBC canteen, which should be much better stocked than the State High one. BBC will no doubt have the pipe band on hand which should piss the T-ba boys off during the pre-game just enough to ensure the College sneak away with an unconvincing win.
BCC by 9

NC V BGS
BGS will be more nervous than a Grammar old boy from the 70's on the way to a proctologists appointment. And it is completely justified. The Nudgee boys had to occupy themselves with a game of Monopoly against Downlands last week and will be eating raw T-Bones as they run on. If Grammar get within 40 they will have done well.
NC by 39

ACGS V BSHS
Churchie no doubt will have hired BBC's dysfunctional PR firm and will have spent the week drinking their own cool-aid, whilst reading their own press and following Kim Karadashian on Instagram. State High will be looking forward to a decent feed and some cold drinks at that flash Churchie canteen. When State High stop watching the TV in the corner of the oval and realise its an electronic scoreboard, they will give Churchie a fright for a while. But Churchie will roll home home in the end and justify the Salary Cap.
ACGS by 18

tommymc15

Bob McCowan (2)
How did the IGS foward pack go against Churchie?
The pigs seem good from what I've seen
Igs were quite disappointing as they had size over the churchie pack but were woeful in holding onto the ball and were punished for it every time. Can't can say much positive about there forward pack.

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Igs were quite disappointing as they had size over the churchie pack but were woeful in holding onto the ball and were punished for it every time. Can't can say much positive about there forward pack.

Are you serious? Did you see the lineup? Smallest Ippy side I've seen for a long time. Wolske and Vui the only forwards with size and Page in the backs. They were without Meafou Rodda Sokimi Broadhead and Maafu. It has been highlighted that they will struggle without their strongest team on the paddock.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Just got off the phone to a fellow parent from another school and the Directors of rugby at all schools should look past their own self importance and fix what is a joke of a weekend of rugby in the u15s...so you scholarship players into the 15 age group to get then some experience before they enter into a first 15 program but then you toss up an average round of rugby ... Heads of colleges give me one good reason that rugby has benefited from going to term 3 ... Surely this has been in the media for the last three years ... Put a bye round for the u15s or better still start communicate with Reginald sports offices and change the date if the schools championships ... How hard is it ...

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Just got off the phone to a fellow parent from another school and the Directors of rugby at all schools should look past their own self importance and fix what is a joke of a weekend of rugby in the u15s.so you scholarship players into the 15 age group to get then some experience before they enter into a first 15 program but then you toss up an average round of rugby . Heads of colleges give me one good reason that rugby has benefited from going to term 3 . Surely this has been in the media for the last three years . Put a bye round for the u15s or better still start communicate with Reginald sports offices and change the date if the schools championships . How hard is it .

The priority for students is not sport, plain and simple. If a sport suffers at some point because of a more important development program, so be it!

They went to term 3 to allow the boys to play Soccer, so perhaps the rise of soccer should be your target?

Scholarships if they are indeed that are only now offered in U14/15 because if they aren't then the student cannot play first XV Rugby. Just ask GT!

I think you're frustration is misplaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.