• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I searched around and there wasn't anything for this topic. I don't have a Club Rugby Pedigree so, as a newly installed member of the Committe at Brothers, I often find myself to be a bit like an Amish on rumspringer who wandered into Comicon - I just don't have the background or frame of reference to understand half of whats going on around me. I'm picking it up after a few years coaching Junior teams (very junior teams), but on the whole, I don't know what I don't know.

So I thought, somewhat selfishly, that I would open a thread where all things Qld Junior Rugby could be discussed. Stuff like coaching techniques, who's who in the zoo, new rules, transitions as boys move up the age groups, club politics, BJRU related stuff, etc. Even "players to watch" - I think it'd be hilarious if we could show with historical evidence that we identified the next John Eales when he was playing u9. :lmao:

I'm also happy to answer questions that Club people might have in terms of my area of expertise - ie the Law - to the best of my ability. On the understanding of course that nothing I say would constitute legal advice or counsel and that any of the aforesaid unoffocial personal opinion was provided with a modicum of care and no liability whatsoever :)

And I have an initial conversation starter -

How do others find the relationship between the Junior Club and the Senior Club at their Club? Are they integrated or separate Incorporated Associations? Any issues with game scheduling, field use, decision making about utilisation of club resources etc? How do you navigate these issues for the benefit of all members and players?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
The best junior rugby player I ever saw was a girl.

I was talking to her coach after training - turns out her last name was Ella.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Girls can be great little players. If you run over one to score a try, these pics show that you then need to be careful of her over-protective mate. My boy got one around the neck and in the goolies in the same tackle. That takes skill.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 627
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 611
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 616
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 586

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
What are some of the things other Junior Clubs do to generate revenue? I say "generate revenue" as opposed to "raise money" because I'm looking more at sponsorship arrangements and how they are done at different clubs and regular income producing activities as opposed to things like one off type events like annual dinners or smaller, irregular things like raffles etc. What sort of supporter and player gear do other clubs sell for example? Do you cut deals with brands (say Canterbury) to sell their stuff at your club at some sort of decent member discount? How do you encourage people to hang around after training for half an hour and have a sausage and a drink? That sort of thing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Does anyone have any info on the Gold rugby squads, what used to be the NTS? Have been trying to find info on how it works and who is selected but can't find anything.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's ok Karl. The guys from the ARU and QRU don't seem to have any idea about it. How can people in clubland be expected to know anything about it.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's ok Karl. The guys from the ARU and QRU don't seem to have any idea about it. How can people in clubland be expected to know anything about it.

Why do you need to know about it. The only persons that need to know are the players, their family and the ARU. It has nothing to do with clubs or schools. The players are those identified by the ARU that they believe have potential to progress to higher levels after their schooling finishes.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Why do you need to know about it. The only persons that need to know are the players, their family and the ARU. It has nothing to do with clubs or schools. The players are those identified by the ARU that they believe have potential to progress to higher levels after their schooling finishes.

Really? Interesting response - maybe unintentionally "Mind your own fucking business" in tone. Given what I saw at the link you gave above, ie:

The 2011/2012 Sydney Junior Gold Program selections have been announced today inviting over 175 players aged between 15 and 18 years of age into the high performance talent development program coordinated by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU). The program forms an important part of the ARU’s Pathway to Gold program – the national talent development program designed to develop and select players U15 and above for future representation at the highest levels of Rugby.

The program received over 400 nominations from Sydney’s most talented young players, with 90% of the players’ nominated coming from the Junior Club Rugby system. Program coordinator Hugh Carpenter of the ARU rated the selection process extremely difficult and encouraged all players – whether selected or not – to continue to challenge themselves to become better players.

I would have thought that knowing about the existence of the program and how it was run so people could nominate was really important. And if 90% of players nominating come from the Junior Club Rugby system, I'd say it has a LOT to do with them. I mean, US.

Schools too - have a look at this:

“We are fortunate to have some very good Talent Scouts throughout Sydney, and have accessed quality information from various Junior Club Rugby bodies and schools to select the group.

http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=187171 - The link has a list of the schools and clubs the kids come from - most play for a school AND a club.

So are you saying iluvmyfooty, that the ARU has their scouts run by Program Co-ordinator Hugh Carpenter, those scouts operate in a vacuum and clubs, parents and schools involved with boys who are possible candidates need know nothing about it until they are selected?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would have thought that if clubs and schools had some knowledge about who was in the programs they would be able to provide some assistance to the kids in terms of adjusting training workloads to work in with the program. The fact that no one can tell me who is coaching them makes me question the value of the program. I would have thought that they would be keen to let people providing the players know what the program involved and like Karl says if 90% of players are coming from club land they could then inform the potential players what they are getting themselves into.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Was I telling you to mind your business maybe maybe not. What I was really commenting on is the previous whingeing and moaning that has gone before about the program and how little johnny should be in it and little joey is hopeless and really doesn't deserve a place, and really the program is crap and clubs do so much better, and the ARU is crap and noone knows whats best.

I would have thought that knowing about the existence of the program and how it was run so people could nominate was really important. And if 90% of players nominating come from the Junior Club Rugby system, I'd say it has a LOT to do with them. I mean, US.

In the past the ARU has run its NTS/Junior Gold program where certain schoolboys were specifically targetted in NSW and Qld and invited to join a training squad that ran from late October through to March/April. The training involved two or three sessions a week normally about 2 hours in length and was split into field skills work and then gym session. Coaches who have had a role in NSW include Hugh Carpenter, Manu Sutherland, Ben Whittaker and Craig Twentyman. The program was designed to end once the schools began their rugby committments. The schools were told in who was involved in the program and what training programs they received.

Players were identified from the various National and State Championships and from the various schools competitions. The age of these players was from 16 to 18. Once a player entered Year 12 (NSW) their participation ceased in that March to allow them to do their HSC.

Last year and this year as well as the elite player group a second tier of identified players was created and a program was introduced for this level of player. Players eligible for this level are 15 - 18 years old and still at school. Clubs and schools were notified that a seperate selection process had been introduced and that players could nominate themselves for inclusion in the program. Hence the large number of nominations and the ARU selected the participants from this pool of players based on the information in the nomination and from feedback from the clubs and schools. In NSW some school players are allowed to play club up until U16 only and if they are a First XV or Second XV player then they are not allowed to play club rugby on the weekend.

Information on the program for last year is readily available from the Australian Schools website in Resources Library.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of any previous bitching and moaning although I imagine there would be a high to very high probability of disagreement :)

Sounds like NSW have things working pretty well - but what's the deal up here and how do we find out?

Status
Not open for further replies.