• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Brief Overview of State Champs - u14

The results from last year's u13 comp is as follows:-
  1. BJRU Red
  2. BJRU Green
  3. Gold Coast
  4. BJRU Blue
  5. BJRU Gold
  6. Sunshine Coast
  7. Townsville
  8. Darling Downs
  9. Bushrangers
The Green team actually knocked over the Red team in the pool game, but there was not a struck match between them in any of the games.

The composition of the Green team changes this year, with the Redlands team moving from this catchment into the Yellow team catchment. So the Green team actually lose a couple of their best players from the comp. However, they have picked up Lucas who I believe did not play u13 last year as he was running around in the u14 comp and was not eligible. So the Green team mainly consist of the BJRU Div 1 Premiers, Sunnybank and Souths. They should be considered the front runners.

The BJRU Red team have kept a great deal of their successful team from last year together. This team consists of the BJRU Div 1 Grand Finalists, Albany Creek and the BJRU Div 2 Premiers, Norths. They have guys who have been there and done that and will be equal to the occassion, although they have lost their 10 & 12 to injury and it also appears an effective front rower from last year has not been selected or injured, so it will be tough.

Once again, the Gold Coast's investment in their team and length of time the squad is together will provide them with a chance. The Darling Downs team I thought under performed last year and if it contains a few of the Downlands players from their 14A team, may also surprise.

The BJRU Blue team may be the smokeys in this comp. Built around a good Wests side and Ashgrove Div 1, this is probably one of the more diverse teams. The guys in the Wests team have played a lot of footy together at club and school this year and have caused some upsets along the way. This may continue.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Brief Overview of State Champs - u15

The results from last year's u14 comp is as follows:-
  1. BJRU Red
  2. BJRU Blue
  3. Victoria
  4. BJRU Green
  5. Bushrangers
  6. Darling Downs
  7. BJRU Gold
  8. Townsville
  9. Sunshine Coast
  10. Gold Coast
Last Year's BJRU Red team, centred around Brothers, upset the BJRU Green team in the semis of the State Champs with the Green team comprising mainly of the Sunnybank team that pipped them in controversial circumstances in the BJRU GF. In the State Champs finals, the Red team easily overcame the BJRU Blue team.

This Red team has seemed to have come through largely intact from last year, but it should start even favourites with the BJRU Green team consisting of the BJRU u15 Div 1 Premiers, Sunnybank.

These teams and players have had a fierce rivalry over the years, so the first game at 11.20 on Monday between the two teams should be cracking. As long as the loser convincingly wins the rest of their pool games, these two teams should meet again in the finals. Expect a few of these players to pop up in their school First XV's next year.

This year there is no Victorian team which may give the Bushrangers a look in to the top 4 many of the other country teams may be able to overcome the other two BJRU teams during the comp.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Brief Overview of State Champs - u16

Unfortunately with the u16 National Champs on at the same time causing a talent exodus, this age group becomes a bit flakey to pick as there is no consistent form to go by. Last year's results for the u15 comp are as follows:

1. BJRU Green
  2. Sunshine Coast
  3. BJRU Gold
  4. Bushrangers
  5. BJRU Blue
  6. Gold Coast
  7. Townsville
  8. BJRU Red
  9. Darling Downs
Perhaps with a lack of representation in the two u16 QLD sides, the Sunshine Coast may push through. Although I believe they did lose some of their players to Brisbane GPS schools this year.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Brief Overview of State Champs - u17

The results from last year's u16 comp is as follows:-

1. BJRU Green
  2. BJRU Blue
  3. Gold Coast
  4. BJRU Red
  5. Bushrangers
  6. Townsville
  7. Sunshine Coast
  8. Darling Downs
Once again the form from last year and this years local comp is hard to go by because of unavailability last year for u16 and then lack of consistent playing due to school commitments.

Unfortunately I have not seen team lists posted so can not provide any insight based on players.

The BJRU Green team had dominated this age group every year since u13's but this year there only appears to be a BJRU Blue and a BJRU Yellow, so it makes the form guide even murkier.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Qld State Champs

Being held at Albany Creek Brumbies at Brendale, these will be the first State Champs held in Brisbane since 2009.

It is a great opportunity to see some of the best rugby talent running around in junior rugby. So do yourself a favour and get down there from Mon, 23 Sept to Wed 25 Sept.

Also the comp is a little different to last year with no set Pools and no semi finals. It makes all games almost sudden death to make the finals, so every game will be interesting.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
QLD CITY v COUNTRY Games

City and Country teams are to be selected and announced after each age group finals at the State Champs for every age group from u13 to u17. A great initiative.

The games will be played at Ballymore on Friday, 27 September.

Unfortunately these teams will not have had any time to bond or train, so it will rely a lot on individual talent on the day or it could just be simple game plans which may cause some terrific rugby.

Based on review of the age groups above, I believe that the City teams will prevail, mainly due to having a season of consistently tougher football than their country cousins.

Any way a good reason if you can to get back to Ballymore!!

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
I have seen a bit of the U13 grand final winning Albany Creek team this season they are a well drilled team and have a few stand out players - They will deservedly make up most the U13 RED team at the state champs and if you add in Small from Norths and Wood from Redcliffe you have a very pwoerful unit, and for most of them it will be a home ground so they like the 14s will be tough to knock off - A bit disappointed with the U13 div 1 this year as only 5 teams competed in it which meant every team played each other 3 times and had 3 byes - the only team to go undefeated in the season proper was the powerful team from Sunnybank (They beat the grandfinalists 3 times during the year) surprisingly the only game they dropped was their semi final they will make up most of the GREEN Team and will be tough to beat, with Big brusing forwards a skillful 10 that has a great passing game who directs them around the paddock and speed to burn out wide - Making up the YELLOW region is another first divsion team Brothers green who had players from the champion Nudgee team and the East team that won the div 2 title combined and on paper they look very powerful.In the BLUE they have the other grand finalist Ashgrove which will make up most of that region the standout here was a Charles at 8 or 12 and Wolske at 8.
There is a lot of talent in this age group that I recall from the U12 state championships in Banyo last year.

Forde - Met North 2012 - Current 2013 Brothers - Nudgee
Colvin - Met North 2012 - Current 2013 Brothers - Nudgee
Suemalo - Met North 2012 - Current 2013 Albany Creek -BSHS
Hearne - Met North 2012 - Current 2013 Brothers - Terrace
Siolo - Met East 2012 - Current 2013 Sunnybank - Terrace
Soli - Met East 2012 - Current 2013 Brothers - Terrace
Niha - Met East - Current 2013 Sunnybank - ?
Charles - Met East 2012 - Current 2013 Ashgrove - Churchie
Koorts - Met West 2012 - Current 2013 Sunnybank - Ippy
Wolske - Met West 2012 - Current 2013 Ashgrove - Ippy
Lea - Met West 2012 - Current 2013 Sunnybank - Ippy
Aliva - Met West 2012 - Current2013 West - BSHS
Small - Sunshine Coast - Current 2013 Norths - ?
Howard - Met North 2012 - Current 2013 Albany Creek - ?

These boys featured in the U12 state championships in 2012 taken out by Met North coincidently Albany creek catchment, many are now playing in the BJRU U13 div 1 competition and GPS 13a competition, I believe we will see some of these names in the Brisbane selection for this age group.
The Yellow team has many of the boys from the U12 Schools State Chamionship from last year. They have power up front, the halves are very sharp and lots of speed out wide, they will be in the mix.

Forde
Colvin
Greentree
Soli
Beall
Hearne
Condon

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
Thank you DS - really enjoyed your posts and opinions. You nailed it on the head regarding last years tourn.
AB's 10 played in the final in the u14 final although heavily strapped. The RED team will be very difficult to beat, I really like a number of their players in particular their 9. If someone does beat them it will be by The Green team who have defo lost something not having the first pick on Redlands players, I do know the Green coach is from Redlands and was very hopeful of 2 in particular being missed on selection (As you can guess I will be following the Green team)
The Blues will be majority Wests based with little support from the bottom team of Ashgrove.
Yellow will in my opinion be a huge disappointment - Too many from an average Brothers team, not enough from a average Easts team and 5 too few from a very good Redlands team who despite their very limited resources consistently do well. (Rumour has it a number of these boys will be moving to Sunnybank next year particularly the BSHS boys) What I find so very strange about the Yellow team is the variety of players from lower division teams including 3 from Redcliffe (the coaches team) who came bottom of div 2 with many heavy defeats and not winning a single game?
This is not a development carnival this is supposed to be the very best players within the age group celebrating the game with fierce competition allowing us all to see the cream rise to the top.

I am already picking my City team Pre tourn team would consist of-
Forwards
4 of the pack will come from SunnyBank including No's 1,5,6,8
2 from - No's AB 7,2
1 from Redlands No 4
1 Wests No 3

Backs
3 AB No's 9,11,14
2 SB No's 10,12
1 Rlands No's 15
1 West No's 13
Any thoughts on the U13 city team, do you know many from this age group

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Any thoughts on the U13 city team, do you know many from this age group

I think that you wil find it will probably be a Sunnybank / BJRU Green centric team. Which I think is only natural from their regular season performance.

It is easier for me to nominate those from outside that group that may have worked their way onto the starting team rather than name the Sunnybank players in contention. These non Sunnybank players in contention include:-
no. 2 - Forde - Bro
no. 3 - Alo Emile - AC
no. 4/5 - Blackmore - Nor (I believe this is the tall forward that also plays at NC - but I stand to be corrected on the name)
no. 12 - Soli - Bro
no. 13 - Peter - AC
no. 14 - Beall - Bro

It may also be interesting for no. 10. I think Mead (Tay or Ash) could be in the mix.

The bench is also likely to attract a few non Sunnybank players as well, but selections may depend on utility value.

It is likely to be an extremely big and mobile forward pack which any Country team will struggle big time to contain.

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
No I don't I am afraid JCW70 but between Quakezone, Dark Shark and yourself I have some names to look out for.
From the boys I know my picks are:
Forwards
Forde
Colvin
Small
Charles
Hearne
Keepa

Backs
It would be a robbery if the 10 Christian from Albany Creek was not named.
red head half back from Brothers
Soli
Springthorpe
Beall

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I am already picking my City team Pre tourn team would consist of-
Forwards
4 of the pack will come from SunnyBank including No's 1,5,6,8
2 from - No's AB 7,2
1 from Redlands No 4
1 Wests No 3

Backs
3 AB No's 9,11,14
2 SB No's 10,12
1 Rlands No's 15
1 West No's 13

There is also the BGS no. 8 from Albany Creek who I believe is a standout in the u14 BJRU comp and the boy Birgan (GT) who is in the u14 BJRU Blue team who is a very handy hooker.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Thanks JCW70

Ok I will give it a go.
I would have to agree with DS in that most would have to come from the SB team that beat all comers this year although they did not make the grand final they were a strong team I have seen them play all year. The pack surely must have a strong representation of these boys as the SB forward pack were so dominant this year a lot of 8's in there but they could play in the 2nd row I guess

The big # 1 from SB -
The # 3 from SB - Koorts
Ford
The 8 from SB - Armi
The 8 from Norths - Small
The 8 from Bros - Colvin
Charles
Wolske
Wood from Redcliffe
Alo emile from AC

For the boys I know in the backs as I mentioned I have viewed a lot of Albany Creek div 1 this year and just believe that Christian is better suited to 12 where he played at club and at school level, his passing was a bit ordinary for a 10 but he is strong runner and defender he is definitely a shot as a utility at the very least - the 9 from brothers is a shot as well a very tenacious player

I like SB halves combination particularly the boy at 10 he has a strong passing game from what I saw when we played Sunnybank he actually outplayed Christian he is very quick and has great footwork - I also saw Springthorpe play in a trial game against Yellow last Sunday and he has grown and really improved he must be a shot as well he had a very strong trial I think he outplayed Soli in the Yellow squad both yellow halfbacks look strong. SB outside backs are very quick and the number 15 in particular has great footwork and exposiveness

9. Greentree or Hughes from Kenmore
10. SB 10
12.Soli
13.Springthorpe
14.Beale
11. SB 11
15.SB15

I have also heard there are a couple of backrowers, one each from the Sunnybank and Albany Creek u14 Div 1 sides who are u13 who also may be in contention.

I believe the Sunnybank u13 flyhalf is Siolo.

During the season I also saw an u13 Div 1 AC v Bro game where the boy Peter played outside centre or wing and dominated what I thought was a strong Brothers team. Peter ended up running in at least 5 tries of his own, which is rare as you get into the teenage Div 1 sides and that is why I thought he may be a strong contender.

Is the boy Charles from Ash / ACGS the red head backrower?

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes that boy Charles is from Ashgrove in the semi where they beat Sunnybank he played at 12 and was very damaging but he plays normally in the backrow for school and occaisionally at club very good footballer I have also seen Peter play he is indeed a very handy footballer and must be in contention.

Yes Siolo that's the boy he directs that team very well and had a blinder on selection day for the 13s I think he is the GT 10

If you are right and there are indeed boys that are playing U14 div 1 but are only 13 particularly for those teams you mentioned SB and AC div 1 then they must be in contention if they are available - are they eligible for selection? Will they make Brisbane U14?
The only U13 I know that is playing U14 and also in the BJRU U14 side is Cameron Howard, this boy is a true rugby player, if he doesnt make the City U14 side and is allowed into the 13s he would be a very handy addition to a pack that will be very strong.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
There's been a bit of talk about the Brisbane based teams (particularly U13's) so thats prompted me to post what I know abot the Gold Coast Cyclones team(s)

U13 squad is:

1. Lewis Pye
2. Charles Pye
3. Tyrell Kopua
4. Tom van der Schyff (capt)
5. Harry Cox
6. Brock Smithers
7. Kale Brenssell
8. Iharaira-Faavae Tamarapa
9. Jim Chapman
10. Rhian Stowers
11. Dempsey Tihema
12. Indiha Sao Tui-Huta
13. Keahn Tipu
14. Lachlan Bruce
15. Ashley Marsh
16. Tyson Spisich
17. Connor Wallace
18. Ethan Singh
19. Zander Henn
20. Emile Du-Toit
21. Fraser Donald
22. Tyler Wright
23. Zack Busuttil-Rochford

Players to watch are 4. Tom Van der Schyff (Eagles & TSS), 8 Iharaira-Faavae Tamarapa (Nerang), 12. Indiha Sao Tui-Huta (Surfers Paradise) and 15. Ashley Marsh (Helensvale)
No disrespect to the other players of course, I believe the team had good wins in trials against Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Dempsey Tihema named on the wing I have seen him play at inside centre is he a big lad from Keebra? - and Rhian Stowers at 10? I have seen him on the wing - Agree the fullback is a player to watch out for

Yes he is a big lad, and quite fast. Usually plays in the centres for Nerang.
Rhian also plays in the centres or wing for Helensvale (from memory)

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Gold Coast Cyclones U14 squad

Peni Kacimaiwai
Tipene Seymour
Jed Eglington
Jack Butler
Teunu Aumareva
Egan Siggs
Ryan Briggs
Loni Tietie
Malachi Reweti
Josh Vuta
Josh Walker
Noah Lolesio
Koen Dovey
Daniel Burns
Jedd Percival
Giano Norman
Josh Kelly
Nathan Harrison
Oscar Morris
Howard Utai
Josh Flatley
Dylan Lust
Taylor Davies

Players to watch Jack Butler & Egan Siggs (TSS)
Don't know much about this team, other than Josh Flatley is a pretty decent goal kicker (who'd have thought) and that Josh, Jed and Jack were very popular names on the Gold Coast 15 years ago

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
U15 Gold Coast Cyclones Squad

Kyle Cullen
Isiah Wildermouth
Lachlan Carlisle
Angus Blyth
Brendan Jansen
Dylan Walker
Nick Stringer
Nick Patrick
Angus Murray
Noah Scallan
Bryce Lington
Keegan Lyon-Wilson
Anthony Nam
Aidyn Hui-Hui
Rhys Hohaia-Johnston
Austin Leider
Jack Otter
Fraser Quirk
Callum Jinks
Rory O'Kelly-Woller
Tate Aitchinson
Jake Wyatt
Kallum Mckay

OK, almost complete ignorance of this age group.
May not have a lot of depth as only 5 teams in comp.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
U16 Gold Coast Cyclones Squad

Shay McNicol
Jake McGarry
Sifa Lord
Kurt Mansell
Rory Hitchcock
Dylan Nunn
Braydon Zygaldo
Kieran Stothers
Riley McIntyre
Sam Wood
Jamieson Quirk (capt)
Caleb Harris
Lachlan Currie
Willis Turnbull
Kale Daly
Zac Newton
Ethan Lolesio
Jay Siggleko
Kai Fielding
Kynan Stowers
David Romeo
Daniel Arase
Harry Hill

It will be very interesting to see how the U16 Cyclones go, however they may not have a lot of depth due to only 4 teams in the comp, and even then lots of forfeits.

Missing a few GPS players due to U16 National Championships (Jordan Lenac & Cooper McKenzie) but probably not missing as many as the Brisbane teams. Look out for several non-GPS boys with points to prove after being snubbed for the opportunity to trial for the National Championships

Players to watch: Lachlan Currie and Jamieson Quirk

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
U17 Gold Coast Cyclones Squad

Ryan Newton
Jonathan Muir
Morehu Atutahi
Mitchell Scott-Young
Josh Watson
Mahonri Wineera
Cody Simeon
Rawiri Johnson
Alfie Kensit
Jared Layt
Tauterangimarie Atutahi
Ward Andrews
Trent Harris
Ray Creighton
Lochlan Stewart
Luke Gittins
Elliot Aisthorpe
Daniel Sierant
Nathan Martin
Cleve Barrell
Karel Fox
Josh Taylor
Anro Appi

Can't add anything here as there was no local U17 comp. I believe Palm Beach Currumbin entered a team in the Brisbane comp instead. Coached by Garrick Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.