• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
The tide seems to be turning with the fans a bit, according to statistics there were approx. 16k in attendance on Saturday night. The Sunday arvo Dolphins v Knights game only drew 18k through the gates.

It has been a while since the Reds have beaten attendance numbers of any NRL team playing at Suncorp so we are climbing there and hopefully we get close to 20k for the Rebels game in a few weeks.
I always take attendance numbers against kiwi opposition with a grain of salt as their fans usually outnumber us 2-1.

Unfortunately it's not normally a reflection of where the Reds are at........

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Bit of a pity it's the Rebels and the Force as the remaining home games as they don't traditionally draw as many. Rebels might be a bit different this year with everything going on there though.

The Blues and Highlanders games have definitely generated some buzz though. A win against the crusaders would probably do a lot to drive that home.

Yeh I am thinking with the narrative of potentially the Rebels folding and Taniela coming home it might drive the numbers up. Also I feel like a Friday night game is good timing there, get the rugby corporate flocking in from work.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I always take attendance numbers against kiwi opposition with a grain of salt as their fans usually outnumber us 2-1.

Yeah - but that would’ve been the same last year, right. If anything the numbers of Blues and Hurricane fans in recent years is probably more constant as you’d imagine their fans wouldn’t be put off by the performance of the Reds. So if crowd numbers are up it can only be a positive??

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yes but hard to deny a big win against the Highlanders and then followed by a good performance against the Blues would do anything but increase the crowds.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes but hard to deny a big win against the Highlanders and then followed by a good performance against the Blues would do anything but increase the crowds.
Oh for sure!

On a weekend where half of Brisbane took Friday off & went away for a 4 day weekend any increase in crowd was a good thing

tig

Frank Row (1)
Vunivalu is a League winger, and they come in off their wing in defence, instead of leaving the inside to the cover defence. Wendell Sailor did it, Lote Tuqiri did it, and any other League winger we pick up will still do it.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Vunivalu is a League winger, and they come in off their wing in defence, instead of leaving the inside to the cover defence. Wendell Sailor did it, Lote Tuqiri did it, and any other League winger we pick up will still do it.
Isn't that what coaching is supposed to do - teach new players how to position themselves and get rid of habits that the sport doesn't want. League players hold onto the ball on the ground when they get tackled - we coach them to not do that so surely the Reds coaching staff can coach a league winger to stay on his wing and the players on the field can tell him where to stand. Right now opposition teams know that to attack down his wing is a good bet for making metres.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Isn't that what coaching is supposed to do - teach new players how to position themselves and get rid of habits that the sport doesn't want. League players hold onto the ball on the ground when they get tackled - we coach them to not do that so surely the Reds coaching staff can coach a league winger to stay on his wing and the players on the field can tell him where to stand. Right now opposition teams know that to attack down his wing is a good bet for making metres.

Coaching a specific action e.g. releasing a ball on the ground vs holding it is very different to trying to coach a 'reaction'. Jamming in from the wing is a reactive defensive tactic and I'd argue it's not just league wingers who have that mindset.

I coached juniors and grades for a number of years (at no level of note) and coaching things like defensive alignments and even running lines was far harder than telling someone to catch and pass a ball or lift in a lineout.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not claiming he's a good defender at all, but blaming Vunivalu for coming off his wing kind of misses the point for me, at least for the last try. He did it on the weekend because he was stranded in a 2 v 1 against him with no support coming (as far as he could tell) and the defensive line was shot to pieces by another player shooting up and not shutting anyone down.

The kick-off soon before is another case in point. The Reds want Vuni to charge down the field to pressure the receiver off kick-offs, but then they don't have anyone setup behind him for when he inevitably gets stepped (or in this case blocked).

And of course, some of these lapses are inevitable in the 78th minute of a huge game against the Blues due to fatigue

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
'. Jamming in from the wing is a reactive defensive tactic and I'd argue it's not just league wingers who have that mindset.

First person I thought of on this discussion was non league background Daugunu.

I think it’s what’s made his transition to outside centre a roaring success. He is not the last line of defense anymore out on the wing.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not claiming he's a good defender at all, but blaming Vunivalu for coming off his wing kind of misses the point for me, at least for the last try. He did it on the weekend because he was stranded in a 2 v 1 against him with no support coming (as far as he could tell) and the defensive line was shot to pieces by another player shooting up and not shutting anyone down.

The kick-off soon before is another case in point. The Reds want Vuni to charge down the field to pressure the receiver off kick-offs, but then they don't have anyone setup behind him for when he inevitably gets stepped (or in this case blocked).

And of course, some of these lapses are inevitable in the 78th minute of a huge game against the Blues due to fatigue
I think what kinda annoys me more on Vunivalu, isn't that defensive miss read, its when he turns and just slowly jogs after the attack.. I mean come on dude you should be busting your arse to help, even if there's only a 5% chance you can help out.. get on your fucking bike and try and catch the play.

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
Hunter Paisami weighing up a big offer to go to Exeter in the Prem on a long term deal. Rugby Australia have only offered him a 1 year national top up, leaving the Reds a little bit stranded in the deep end trying to retain him. Exclusive from the Roar.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Lets hope Henry gets fit for next year
Last I heard recovery has been going very well and they were pushing for a 7 month turnaround.

On another note, the support from the Reds (and RA) has apparently been absolutely top notch, which is fantastic to hear. There may have even been a call from one J. Schmidt with some very welcome words of encouragement.