• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Rugby 7s 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The 7s season is due to get underway in the coming weeks. Are the following the only tournaments this year?

UQ Emmanuel 7s: September 15th & 16th
Brothers 7s: September 23rd
West's 7s: October 7th & 8th
Fiji Day 7s: October 7th
Noosa 7s: October 14th & 15th
Byron 7s: October 14th & 15th

It baffles me as to why there are 2 weekends with 2 tournaments. There could have been a chance to realy push a series type event. Is this why Easts had to cancel their event due to same day scheduling as Brothers?

Any other 7s comps?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
All I know is the next logical date in that series is October 21st. That's the day of the Brisbane Test match. Perhaps there's a understanding around the brisbane rugby community not to schedule anything on the day of tests matches?

The best scheduling compromise in the above scenario is move one of the Byron or Noosa tournaments to weekend of October 7 and then move either Wests or Fiji to the following weekend. in that scenario you'd have a brisbane sevens tournament on both weekends of Oct 7 and Oct 14. You'd also then have Byron and Noosa on differing weekends and i bet some of the spoils about playing 7's is going to exotic destinations like Byron and Noosa. Think its a win/win for all parties involved.

What about the 15 a side local Pacific Islanders tournament (Is it called Kings&Queens?) no idea what weekend that will be on.. but that's definitely worthwhile going down and witnessing. It's actually a really good day/weekend of footy because you see all the Pacific Islanders who play premier rugby turn out for their respected nations.

Darwin has a 7's tournament on Australia Day (But thats pushing across state boundaries and into 2018). there's usually good representation from the Queensland 7's community like I know Sunnybank & Tribe have gone up there in seasons pasts.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I heard that Easts got their approval from the QRU for 23/9/17 but then the QRU approved the Crosby 7s for the same day - Brothers wouldn't move it so given it was a first up for the Tigers they decided to pull the pin.

Its a shame that there cant be better coordination

T

TOCC

UQ Emmanuel 7s: September 15th & 16th
Brothers 7s: September 23rd
West's 7s: October 7th & 8th
Fiji Day 7s: October 7th
Noosa 7s: October 14th & 15th
Byron 7s: October 14th & 15th
Bledisloe 21st
Central Coast 7s 27th & 29th

January
Darwin Hottest 7s 19th-21stJan
Sydney 7s 26th-28th Jan

February
Kiama 7s 24th Feb

Updated it slightly.. Out of those, Kiama, Darwin, Central Coast and Noosa are the higher profile tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.