• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

"Queensland Rugby Records its Largest Growth in History"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I apologise if this has in the past been posted, I just picked it up today. In the context of our ongoing debate re growing (or shrinking) the code in Australia, and the relative importance of S15 teams doing well AND installing competent business and code development management within a State RU, it's very relevant:

Queensland Rugby records largest growth in history

Queensland Rugby
Monday December 12, 2011 SportsAustralia.com

Queensland Rugby has achieved its largest growth in recorded history with 2011 highlights showing a 33 per cent increase in participation figures year on year.

Over 136,791 participants enjoyed Rugby in the year the St.George Queensland Reds won the Super Rugby title – significantly up from 102,673 in 2010.

Other notable game development highlights include reaching 15,000 junior participants for the first time in history (15,726), the number of junior teams in Queensland climbing above the 1,000-mark to 1,033 and a record number of schools (458) becoming involved in Rugby activities.

Queensland Rugby’s market share has grown to 32 per cent of the code’s reach in Australia – the top percentage to date - after generating the highest participation levels from the state unions for annual sampling programs Super Rugby Week and Walla Rugby Week.

Queensland Rugby’s pilot Try Sevens juniors program was also a huge success with 12,322 students from 112 schools across the state taking part during November’s Festival of Rugby celebrations.

Records reached off the field were matched on it in 2011, with Queensland teams recording a clean sweep of the National Championships.

The Queensland Schoolboys of 2011 continued the champion side’s dominance to record its sixth consecutive title, defeating NSW I 37-20 in the Australian Schools Rugby Union Championships at Ballymore.

The Queensland Under 16s also claimed their age-group title with Queensland Red 48 defeating NSW Schools 14.

At the National Women’s Championships, Queensland beat the ACT Brumbies 5-0 and Keebra Park State High School claimed the National Schoolboys Sevens Championships for a second year in a row, defeating fellow Queenslanders Brisbane State High School 28-12 during the final day of the inaugural Gold Coast Sevens tournament at Skilled Park.

Queensland Rugby CEO Jim Carmichael said the year on year rise in participation is outstanding.

“It is an exceptional result to achieve Queensland Rugby’s highest-ever growth in participation and I am thrilled for what these figures mean for 2012,” Mr Carmichael said.

“These results are testament to hard work, and they reinforce the structures and strategies we have in place in the ‘One Rugby Community’.”

Queensland Rugby General Manager - Community Rugby David Hanham also said the increase in participation was a significant result.

“Our participation figures show Rugby is capturing the hearts and minds of the youth in Queensland,” Mr Hanham said.

“These results are critical as we look to build for the future generation and achieve growth across all areas of the business to, in effect, future proof our game.

“The support from all of Queensland Rugby’s stakeholders in coming together and working with a common ambition has greatly assisted us in achieving such significant results.”

Queensland Rugby also generated a 200 per cent rise in benefits allocated to the community clubs through its “One Rugby Economy” capacity development business unit.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The problem is the reliability of the figure. How have they counted the figure? How many participants are counted on multiple occasions? And does participating have any relation to a long term involvement in the game?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I find that quite heartening, I know my clubs junior figures last year weren't all that great, but already this year in our junior rego numbers are up by about 30-40% at least. Not sure how many are newcomers to game,or come from other clubs, but sure seems good news for the game to me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The problem is the reliability of the figure. How have they counted the figure? How many participants are counted on multiple occasions? And does participating have any relation to a long term involvement in the game?

bang on Jets, which is why we have decided to measure retention rates as well as participation rates

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, great news, but some figures count registrations, not humans.

So school, club & a sevens tournament can equal 3 o_O

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah, great news, but some figures count registrations, not humans.

So school, club & a sevens tournament can equal 3 o_O

Thing is all the football codes do this. Actually, my kid brother counted as both a RL and Auskick 'junior' because he participated in a few school clinics both groups ran last year.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
bang on Jets, which is why we have decided to measure retention rates as well as participation rates

OK, but provided a stat is measured consistently and from the same sources year on year, it's likely to hold some real trend validity.

IMO, if you look at all the data in the whole article, it's fantastic for QLD rugby and the job being done by the new QRU. You'd have to be a real 'glass half-empty' person to fret about one stat, amongst all of them, perhaps not being consistent or revealing enough. (Not saying you or Jets are that, just a general observation re looking at all of the data above.)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I apologise if this has in the past been posted, I just picked it up today. In the context of our ongoing debate re growing (or shrinking) the code in Australia, and the relative importance of S15 teams doing well AND installing competent business and code development management within a State RU, it's very relevant:

I don't know what you're crowing about, RH. I haven't got any figures but I suspect the senior state would more than match you in growth rate. We've just got to get the direction of growth right.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep I not sure about official figures etc, but as I said earlier in this thread my club's junior figures are up 30-40% on last year, and this is with paid up players, thats not double regos by being at school, just at club. It looks good to me, so I taking positive outlook and am very happy with it.

R

ripper868

I don't know what you're crowing about, RH. I haven't got any figures but I suspect the senior state would more than match you in growth rate. We've just got to get the direction of growth right.

Would be nice if the Senior State would publish these numbers for all to see so a comparison can be made...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep I not sure about official figures etc, but as I said earlier in this thread my club's junior figures are up 30-40% on last year, and this is with paid up players, thats not double regos by being at school, just at club. It looks good to me, so I taking positive outlook and am very happy with it.

d54, hey, well done. That's a terrific uplift. At my son's inner Brisbane club, Brothers Juniors, I believe their 2012 regos are up very significantly, and they are barely going to be able to cope with their new numbers in terms of facilities, etc.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Quality work Bruce, although I suspect the finer points have gone through to the keeper on a couple of occasions here.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
d54, hey, well done. That's a terrific uplift. At my son's inner Brisbane club, Brothers Juniors, I believe their 2012 regos are up very significantly, and they are barely going to be able to cope with their new numbers in terms of facilities, etc.

I went to a function down there Friday evening a few weeks ago, and I've never seen so many blue & white striped vegemites.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quality work Bruce, although I suspect the finer points have gone through to the keeper on a couple of occasions here.

I have just been to a lunch where Eddie Cowan spoke, SF. Eddie is developing a reputation for the number of deliveries he leaves alone, but compared to some of our members he's a regular Dave Warner.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
OK, but provided a stat is measured consistently and from the same sources year on year, it's likely to hold some real trend validity.

IMO, if you look at all the data in the whole article, it's fantastic for QLD rugby and the job being done by the new QRU. You'd have to be a real 'glass half-empty' person to fret about one stat, amongst all of them, perhaps not being consistent or revealing enough. (Not saying you or Jets are that, just a general observation re looking at all of the data above.)

The ARU reported a similar uplift in participation figures last year I seem to remember - not sure they got the same reception....

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The ARU reported a similar uplift in participation figures last year I seem to remember - not sure they got the same reception....

Post them bro, and let's clap.

Anywhere there's good evidence that rugby is solidly growing in Aus, is cause for that.

And a State by State analysis would be best.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep thats great too RH, we in same position, need to buy new sets of jerseys for new teams etc. A good problem to have.

T

TOCC

yes they did, built largely on the back of growth in Queensland..

Now i know some of those figures are slightly questionable, as all comparitive numbers are when talking about participation etc etc.. But there is no denying that there was significant growth last year..

the biggest difference in rugby in QLD and NSW that ive seen(admittedly after only a short period in Sydney), is that the clubs actually support the QRU, there was growing disgruntlement a couple of years back at clube level with funding cuts, but i believe that has since been restored through the means of this 'one rugby economy' that the QRU implemented.

I thought the NSWRU made the right steps through making the Shute Shield an independent entity, but there is still a massive disconnect. Somehow the NSWRU needs to reconnect with the clubs, the club players and supporters are the very people who support the Tahs on a commercial level, its just not happening as well as it should at the moment.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Its telling for me that the GWS AFL club has been on the radio in Sydney every day highlighting thrir drive for a 17000 first year membership. The whole week I have also been subjected to general AFL news, NRL and A league. Rugby hasnt made a bulletin all week. For those wanting to grow the game this is a major impediment.

Status
Not open for further replies.