• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Randwick Rugby Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The famous Randwick Galloping Greens inducted the following Hall of Fame Team today in the Hilton Hotel Ballroom in Sydney attended by about 650 people:
#1 Sir Nicholas Shehadie
#2 Peter Johnson
#3 Ewan McKenzie
#4 Richard Thornett
#5 Warwick Waugh
#6 Colin Windon
#7 Simon Poidevin
#8 Arthur Buchan
#9 Ken Catchpole
#10 Mark Ella
#11 David Campese
#12 John Brass
#13 Cyril Towers
#14 Alan Morton
#15 Russell Fairfax
#16 Jeffrey Sayle

Out of about 800 Men in Gold, about 100 have been associated with Randwick.

Their Hall of Fame Team Backline would be useful on Saturday night against the Blackness.

Gordon Bray gave a phantom call of this team playing against 2010 All Blacks at Coogee Oval in front of 15000 people, and Randwick won (no surprises given the audience) by 12 - 7 (two tries to one).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No doubt Campese missed a tackle for the AB try.

Seriously - there are some great players there. Catchy was the best Wallaby that ever was IMO. How great would he be in the modern game??

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That is a veritable cornucopia of Australian rugby legends. There are some guys in there who would rank as our countries best ever in their positions. Amazing that they've all come from the one club. I recall in my formative rugby years watching those great Randwick teams and marvelling at the power, skill and pace with which they played the game. It was unbelievably exciting stuff for a nipper like me to see.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Must admit that I used to go to Coogee Oval a lot when the Ella boys were playing when I was in Sydney. I worked in the mountains in those days. Some of the backyard moves they put on made opponents look like the Marx Brothers and you'd see them giggling with each other walking back after the try from the joy of it.

It was a great pity that Gary Ella had to get a knee reconstruction as a teenager because although he played for the Wallabies after that he wasn't the same player as he would have been.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Yes, great team and loved Sir Nicholas Shehadie's quote!

Looking at the team I would think Warwick Waugh would be very happy to have made it and flanker John Maxwell must have gone close. Also John Cole and Phil Smith didn't make it. Must have been difficult decisions.

G

Goldenone

I was fortunate enough to be raised in the eastern suburbs ( not as flash as it is now ) during those wonderful years and attend school not far from Coogee Oval.The best part about " Randwick Rugby" was that it was played in the same fashion from the 1st Grade down to under 10's.Skinny kids runing all over the place and having a ball.I remember Jeff Sayle refereeing a testimonial match one day,he said the laws today are the same as always but you can't kick the ball EVER !!If you did it was a penalty to other side.Great days,great memories.A couple more to miss out on that team were Phil Kearns,John Berne,the Burke brothers,Chris Whittaker,George Gregan,Jack Weber,Speed Kennedy .....

G

Goldenone

I was there at Coogee the day they played the All Blacks.What a day.I don't think we will ever see an International team play a club side again ( in Australia)with the intensity of that match.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A pity to see that they included Alan Morton, who was actually a product of St George club. Surely Michael Cleary deserves a spot. Seven tries in a club match against Eastwood. :-[

Of course Simon Poidevin played first for Uni of New South Wales, but I think I would let him in.

Other great players who miss out include George Reubner, Ted Heinrich and the Outterside brothers. Tony Moore was pretty handy, as was Stu Pinkerton.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Other great players who miss out include George Reubner, Ted Heinrich and the Outterside brothers. Tony Moore was pretty handy, as was Stu Pinkerton.

Ah Stu Pinkerton...a blast from the past...he was a Scots' old boy wasn't he? Still, I can't see how he can be that good to be considered to be one of Randwick's greats...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't panic everyone. I believe that Randwick will continue to induct past legends into their Hall of Fame on a regular basis.

This particular one off mass induction was run primarily to establish the Hall of Fame. It was a big effort to induct 16 legends, and the most appropriate vehicle for this was obviously to use the 15 positions.

While no great international star, Jeffery Sayle's induction as the 16th was a foregone conclusion for anyone who has been associated with Sydney rugby over the past 40 years. It is well known that Jeffreys blood is Myrtle Green.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Don't panic everyone. I believe that Randwick will continue to induct past legends into their Hall of Fame on a regular basis.

This particular one off mass induction was run primarily to establish the Hall of Fame. It was a big effort to induct 16 legends, and the most appropriate vehicle for this was obviously to use the 15 positions.

While no great international star, Jeffery Sayle's induction as the 16th was a foregone conclusion for anyone who has been associated with Sydney rugby over the past 40 years. It is well known that Jeffreys blood is Myrtle Green.

I thought it would have been brown, to match his favourite beverage. Sayle would be amongst the worst ever Wallabies. He was embarrassing against the All Blecks - I have never seen a player look so scared.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Moses,

can we add a wiki entry for Hall of fame teams?

I am sure that Randwick are not the only club to have produced a hall of fame team.

If Randwick has produced 100 Men in Gold, then 700+ have been produced from somewhere else.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Here's an Eastwood team:

1. Benn Robinson
2. Matt Dunning
3. Ben Alexander
4. Alan Skinner
5. Stuart Gregory
6. Daniel Manu
7. Scott Gourley
8. Steve Tuynman
9. Travis Hall
10. John Ballesty
11. Jack Thompson
12. Brett Papworth
13. Graeme Bond
14. Ian Williams
15. Matthew Burke.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I thought it would have been brown, to match his favourite beverage. Sayle would be amongst the worst ever Wallabies. He was embarrassing against the All Blecks - I have never seen a player look so scared.

Surely his blood would be black. Don't get between Jeffrey and a glass of Tooheys Old.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here's an Eastwood team:

1. Benn Robinson
2. Matt Dunning
3. Ben Alexander
4. Alan Skinner
5. Stuart Gregory
6. Daniel Manu
7. Scott Gourley
8. Steve Tuynman
9. Travis Hall
10. John Ballesty
11. Jack Thompson
12. Brett Papworth
13. Graeme Bond
14. Ian Williams
15. Matthew Burke.

Some greats there.
Is this the fair dinkum Eastwood H of F, or your view. Is there a Woodies Hall of Fame?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wicks 2011 Hall of Fame Inductees

The 2011 Inductees to the Wicks Hall of Fame were:

1. Bob Dwyer
2. Eddie Jones
3. Phil Kearns
4. John Maxwell
5. Wally Meagher
6. Bob Outterside
7. Keith Windon

Full Story here:
http://randwickrugby.com.au/component/content/article/632-2011-randwick-rugby-hall-of-fame-inductees
and here
http://southern-courier.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/randwick-rugby-hall-of-fame-1/

Photos here:
http://randwickrugby.com.au/photo-gallery/2011-season/869-2011-hall-of-fame-luncheon-photos
A cracker of Mrs Sayle's boy Jeffrey at photo #32

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
I was there at Coogee the day they played the All Blacks.What a day.I don't think we will ever see an International team play a club side again ( in Australia)with the intensity of that match.
So was I great memories I did the scoreboard and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.