• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC5: Springbokke vs Wallabies @ PE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Very important test for both teams in the windy city.

From a Bok point of view.

There are expectations now after our famous won against the All Blacks in NZ. Our players will ooze with much needed confidence.

Players release for CC this weekend are
Golden Lions
Ross Cronje
Blue Bulls
Marco van Staden
Embrose Papier
Sharks
Thomas du Toit
Western Province
Wilco Louw
Bongi Mbonambi
Sikhumbuzo Notshe
Damian Willemse

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd have Foley and To'omua start this game. Beale has been underwhelming in his last few outings.

Thor to start, and some more mongrel from the tight 5. Let's see how much the Jersey and the cumulative losses really means to them.

Tough game but think the bokke might take this.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth, South AfricaGoogle Earth
NelsonMandelaStadium.jpg

Date Opponent Score Attendance
20 Aug 2011 New Zealand Win: 18-5 45478
23 Jun 2012 England Draw: 14-14 45000
28 Jun 2014 Scotland Win: 55-6 40973
25 Jun 2016 Ireland Win: 19-13 42324
19 Aug 2017 Argentina Win: 37-15 48000

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe its time to adjust what we are trying to do. My backline would look like this:

9. Genia
10. Foley
11. DHP
12. To'omua
13. Hodge
14. Folau
15. Beale

That is picking the best players in their best (or close to best) positions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe its time to adjust what we are trying to do. My backline would look like this:

9. Genia
10. Foley
11.Koro
12. To'omua
13. Hodge
14. Folau
15. DHP

That is picking the best players in their best (or close to best) positions.
DHP is the only in form backline player, i don't think rewarding Beale's terrible form with a move to fullback in place of DHP is the right move.

I'd have the above. Not much in it either way and i cant see us winning.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
DHP is the only in form backline player, i don't think rewarding Beale's terrible form with a move to fullback in place of DHP is the right move.

I'd have the above. Not much in it either way and i cant see us winning.

personally i'd have beale out of the match day, but at the very least he should be riding the pine. perhaps its time to revert to the super sub to come on against tired opposition. chieka set the precedent with benching foley, how he manages to continue to live up this, well we will need to see. i also think that the bokke would exploit beale at fb.

agree on dhp, you'd think that form would be rewarded. time to give one of the young speedsters a crack. who hasnt played yet?

still think that unless we get the pack combo right then the backline discussion is moot.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sport24
Bok lose key players for home Tests

Cape Town - Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus has named a preliminary squad oif 17 players for his side's final two Rugby Championship matches.
The squad will be finalised after this weekend's round of Currie Cup action and after some final injury assessments have been done by the Bok medical team.
The 17 will assemble in Port Elizabeth on Friday when they will start their preparations for the final two Tests of the tournament.
Erasmus, SA Rugby’s Director of Rugby, confirmed that the squad will be further bolstered on Saturday when a number of other players have concluded their provincial duty in the Currie Cup.

“We are still keeping an eye on a number of players who we would like to involve in the coming weeks, but we would first like to see them get through their provincial matches this weekend,” said Erasmus.
It was also confirmed that Damian De Allende (centre), Lukhanyo Am (centre) and Makazole Mapimpi (wing) will not feature in the two home Tests after they were ruled out due to injury.
Furthermore, Willie le Roux (fullback) and Francois Louw (loose forward) have returned to their English clubs after the pair featured in the Springboks’ four tournament matches to date. They will notfeature in the two home Tests.
“The players had a brief break after returning from New Zealand and I’m sure they will return fresh and energised for the last two matches,” said Erasmus.
“While we lost a couple of players to injury, but we are looking forward to possibly welcome back some others who have been playing for their provinces and recovered from injury. The two home matches will give us more time to work together as a group, to build on continuity and increase our depth.”
South Africa, who stunned the world by beating the All Blacks in Wellington this past weekend, take on the Wallabies in Port Elizabeth on September 29 and then the All Blacks once more at Loftus on November 6.
Preliminary Bok squad:
Forwards:
Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Steven Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi (captain), Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Franco Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira, RG Snyman, Warren Whiteley
Backs:
Faf de Klerk, Aphiwe Dyantyi, André Esterhuizen, Elton Jantjies, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Handré Pollard

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
personally i'd have beale out of the match day, but at the very least he should be riding the pine. perhaps its time to revert to the super sub to come on against tired opposition. chieka set the precedent with benching foley, how he manages to continue to live up this, well we will need to see. i also think that the bokke would exploit beale at fb.

agree on dhp, you'd think that form would be rewarded. time to give one of the young speedsters a crack. who hasnt played yet?

still think that unless we get the pack combo right then the backline discussion is moot.
Beale most useful from the bench as an attacking weapon in the second half. The other options do not have the try scoring potential.
Samu is under an injury cloud and with Tui unlikely to be available we have a lack of depth in the back row. Might be time to give Cottrell a run? Have not heard any news on Hooper but he would be a welcome inclusion.
Tough couple of weeks coming up for the Wallabies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Congrats Gus Cottrell.
Pleasing to see you come back so well after the knee recon.
Enjoy the time on the road.
Hope you can get some time on the park.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wallabies 30-man squad to play Springboks and Pumas
Forwards:
Allan Ala'alatoa (27 Tests, Brumbies, 24)
Rory Arnold (17 Tests , Brumbies, 28)
Adam Coleman (26 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Angus Cottrell* (uncapped, Melbourne Rebels, 28)
Folau Fainga’a (3 Tests, Brumbies, 23)
Ned Hanigan (15 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 23)
Michael Hooper (c) (85 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 26)
Sekope Kepu (97 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 32)
Brandon Paenga-Amosa (3 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)
David Pocock (72 Tests, Brumbies, 30)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (86 Tests, Leicester, 33)
Tom Robertson (24 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 24)
Izack Rodda (11 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)
Rob Simmons (89 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Scott Sio (49 Tests, Brumbies, 26)
Caleb Timu (2 Tests, Queensland Reds, 24)
Taniela Tupou (6 Tests, Queensland Reds, 22)
Backs:
Tom Banks (2 Tests, Brumbies, 24)
Kurtley Beale (78 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Israel Folau (67 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Bernard Foley (62 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 28)
Will Genia (94 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 30)
Jake Gordon* (uncapped, NSW Waratahs, 25)
Dane Haylett-Petty (25 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 29)
Reece Hodge (31 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 23)
Marika Koroibete (15 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Jack Maddocks (4 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 21)
Sefa Naivalu (7 Tests, Melbourne Rebels, 26)
Nick Phipps (67 Tests, NSW Waratahs, 29)
Matt To'omua (37 Tests, Leicester/Melbourne Rebels, 28)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Beale most useful from the bench as an attacking weapon in the second half. The other options do not have the try scoring potential.
Samu is under an injury cloud and with Tui unlikely to be available we have a lack of depth in the back row. Might be time to give Cottrell a run? Have not heard any news on Hooper but he would be a welcome inclusion.
Tough couple of weeks coming up for the Wallabies.

Reckon we'll go 6. Hanigan 7. Hooper 8. Pocock 20. Timu or 6. Pocock 7. Hooper 8. Timu 20. Hanigan.

But good to see Cottrell touring, had a brief chat to him in Mudgee last weekend, nice bloke.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reckon we'll go 6. Hanigan 7. Hooper 8. Pocock 20. Timu or 6. Pocock 7. Hooper 8. Timu 20. Hanigan.

But good to see Cottrell touring, had a brief chat to him in Mudgee last weekend, nice bloke.

Hmmmm depending on Hoopers fitness (his been off) maybe Start 6, Cottrell, 7 Pocock, 8 Timu then Hooper off the bench, or Hanigan Hooper with a 6 - 2.

But we will probably go Hanigan 6 , Hooper 7 Poey 8 which isn't bad either as Hanigan's great in the air and works hard around the park.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wouldn't lose anything in the lineout with Cottrell. Very good jumper. And more impact in open play than Hanigan. Would really like to see 6 Cottrell, 7 Pocock, 8 Timu.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wouldn't lose anything in the lineout with Cottrell. Very good jumper. And more impact in open play than Hanigan. Would really like to see 6 Cottrell, 7 Pocock, 8 Timu.

I'd also add that he wasn't real big, not for a 6 at least anyway. Maybe he looks like a lineout star at super level but I'm not sure how he'd go against Etzebeth, Lood and du Toit all together. If you're looking to boost the lineout you'd pick Ned, if you're looking for impact around the park you'd pick Hooper. I suspect he'll pick both. At this stage I'd say Cottrell is good cover for Hooper/Pocock but that's about it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Would love to see Timu given a chance off the bench, ~20 minutes to rip in will suit his game well and might help him find his feet in test rugby a bit better than the starting shifts he put in against Ireland.

That said I'd be just as happy to have Cottrell in that role, we could use some of his aggression in the later stages of matches.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not real big but certainly bigger than Samu or Hooper and he has a different skill set. Hopefully he gets a run at some point in the next few weeks.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Granted, but I’d say Ned gets elevated for Tui and assuming Hooper is fit he will come in as the 3rd back rower for Samu. Timu will get the bench spot: if Hooper is still out then Timu will start and Cottrell will get the bench spot- There’s a 3rd option of course where it’s preferred to bring Hooper back off the bench, but that will still see Timu preferred over Cottrell.

Status
Not open for further replies.