• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 1 SRA 2021 Queensland Reds v NSFW Waratahs

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NSW being poor in the second row and lack of development players coming thru in second row is a side effect of an obsession with recruiting league players.

Just look at the two big negatives of the week for Rugby Union a player punching a security guard and a absolutely mindless red card. Both ex rugby league players and one a drug dealer as well.

We don’t need to recruit from league there hasn’t been a single league player leave rugby Union a better sport and we have their Chairman actively working against Union stopping broadcasting on Sky to pubs & clubs and complaining to Nine Entetainment.

For crying out loud there are so many grubs in league that they have had to invite the NSW Police Commissioner to join their Board

We are not going to make Rugby Union better by looking to league and their players!

I don’t see the correlation between Vunivalu punching a security guard and the Waratahs failing to develop locks.
Queensland and ACT both do pretty well at developing locks, and both have recruited rugby league wingers.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Until recently, we've had a pretty poor track record with developing locks out of age grade and put too many eggs in that basket. Despite some improvement there, there are too many teams (Brumbies, Rebels, Force) who are also tapping that limited resource. 7 odd years back you could understand why guys like Coleman and Philip, who went on to be good Wallabies, went elsewhere because of the log jam at the Tahs in Skelton, Douglas, Dennis, etc. But I look at Esei Haangana and Nick Frost ending up at the Rebels and Brumbies and can't help but think the Tahs might be missing a beat. Assuming the mountain will come to Mohammad rather than Mohammad having to be a bit more pro-active.

I'd like to see some RA leadership on this front- help the various clubs to identify/develop younger talent (and get them into the game in the first place), strengthening non-traditional pathways (to get a few more Arnolds and the like), encouraging clubs to bring back overseas locks to reduce pressure on the system (doesn't have to be the stars either- more like the Brumbies picking up Neville), and whatever else helps make things better for the group.

Don't see how any of that has anything to do with league outside backs. Love blaming things on them though. Hate those guys.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I prefer to see it as there are about 50 NRL Teams to recruit from, such luxury
Maybe it was more in response to this comment. You aren’t going to find a second rower at a league club. I just find the whole let’s go pick up a rugby league player to solve the problem so disrespectful to those who commit to rugby union and most have come with issues and diminished the Rugby Union brand and image. (Brad Thorn is the only exception I can think of and that is because he adheres to the the mantra the standard you walk past is the standard you accept.). League standards are low and have been that way for years.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think the biggest proof of the Waratahs just not caring for their player development was how they used the NRC. The Reds used it as a development parthway, if you were on a Reds contract you were playing NRC, if you weren't on a Reds contract you got it by playing well in NRC. The Waratahs on the other hand didn't really show any interest in the NRC, they had basically zero Waratahs spots open to the NRC players so why would a good club player with Super Rugby aspirations want to play NRC. A lot of their big Super Rugby players didn't play in it. So you end up with a lot of club hacks and a smattering of quality club guys.

I think Rugby in Australia will need some form of NRC or third level competition (Tests, Super Rugby, third level, Club) in order to be successful, you look at the Reds probably 90% of their very impressive squad has come through the Queensland NRC parthway. I don't think the same can be said for the Waratahs at the moment.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm a huge fan of the NRC, but I don't see it coming back. The optimist in me would like to see some form of GRR resurrected where the Asia Pacific can play Australian NRC standard sides in the Wallaby windows with player development in mind. I just don't see that being supported over east and I can't see anything happening until COVID is well and truly under control.

I like the idea of Aussie clubs loaning development players out for a season or a stint in Japan or Europe. Keeps them on our books, keeps them from getting bored and looking elsewhere, etc, etc.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
NSW being poor in the second row and lack of development players coming thru in second row is a side effect of an obsession with recruiting league players.

Just look at the two big negatives of the week for Rugby Union a player punching a security guard and a absolutely mindless red card. Both ex rugby league players and one a drug dealer as well.

We don’t need to recruit from league there hasn’t been a single league player leave rugby Union a better sport and we have their Chairman actively working against Union stopping broadcasting on Sky to pubs & clubs and complaining to Nine Entetainment.

For crying out loud there are so many grubs in league that they have had to invite the NSW Police Commissioner to join their Board

We are not going to make Rugby Union better by looking to league and their players!

This is as good incohererent ranting as I have seen in a while - well done!

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe it was more in response to this comment. You aren’t going to find a second rower at a league club. I just find the whole let’s go pick up a rugby league player to solve the problem so disrespectful to those who commit to rugby union and most have come with issues and diminished the Rugby Union brand and image. (Brad Thorn is the only exception I can think of and that is because he adheres to the the mantra the standard you walk past is the standard you accept.). League standards are low and have been that way for years.

If you had followed the commentary logic you would know that the comment was directly related to outside backs and not second row forwards. Where do you think the most athletic outside backs in Sydney are running around?

I know that Folau's name is on par with Hitler's at the moment but for a large period of time he was the biggest (and probably best) thing to happen to rugby in terms of talent, publicity and getting young kids from broader Sydney interested in the sport.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I know that Folau's name is on par with Hitler's at the moment but for a large period of time he was the biggest (and probably best) thing to happen to rugby in terms of talent, publicity and getting young kids from broader Sydney interested in the sport.

Do you know what would be better than having a Folau type outside back who generates publicity and interest - winning!

In my opinion the two most important players in laying a platform for your win are your two second rowers. If you are not winning.your scrums, lineouts and getting over the gain line and stopping Opposition behind the gain line your chances of winning are slim. Look at how NZ go when Whitelock & Retallick are missing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Do you know what would be better than having a Folau type outside back who generates publicity and interest - winning!

In my opinion the two most important players in laying a platform for your win are your two second rowers. If you are not winning.your scrums, lineouts and getting over the gain line and stopping Opposition behind the gain line your chances of winning are slim. Look at how NZ go when Whitelock & Retallick are missing.

And the relationship/trust with a newby hooker

The Tahs lost Simmons & Harrigan who both had the ability to turn a turd into a flower @ lineout & replaced them with military medium locks, who can work but it will be by teamwork and timing

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
After watching the game again McReight my MOM. An absolute f&$$ing beast.

QLD played really well, the forward pack were awesome and worked hard for each other. Some dumb offsides, some small defensive lapses. not much else wrong. I like how Stewart throws himself at the breakdown but I wish he'd hold himself back just a wee bit, but his work ethic is second to none.

I think the 12,13,14 worked, really well - where do we fit the fighting mungo? Jock was steady enough though his defensive brain fart was the reason for the NSW try.

Felt sorry for the 'tahs, jeez they were actually really disappointing. They've got the cattle, I am unconvinced Rennie is the man to bring them along. A very quiet night from Harrison whom I rate highly, but you cannot do much when your pack is being munted. Gordon and Tizzano head and shoulders above everyone. I like Harris but I reckon he will be stuck behind Harry for a long time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm a huge fan of the NRC, but I don't see it coming back. The optimist in me would like to see some form of GRR resurrected where the Asia Pacific can play Australian NRC standard sides in the Wallaby windows with player development in mind. I just don't see that being supported over east and I can't see anything happening until COVID is well and truly under control.

I like the idea of Aussie clubs loaning development players out for a season or a stint in Japan or Europe. Keeps them on our books, keeps them from getting bored and looking elsewhere, etc, etc.

And if twiggy prepared to fund that situation where GRR Asia Pacific teams play NRC type sides I am sure RA would have no objections...;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Let's get this out of the way: DAYmon Murphy is about as fucking awful a ref as Tim Horan is a commentator.

Neither side was that impressive on defensive alignment, but that will come with time. The difference was QLD held the ball in contact, and NSW could not. There were chances both ways early, but NSW couldn't capitalise on theirs - probably robbed of a penalty try when Gordon was held up by 3 guys who were never onside, but other than that they squandered a lot of pill.

While we're on it, I think the dropout rule beats the 22m restart hands-down, BUT it is rubbish for people being held up, and have proposed a simple change: if kicked into the in-goal by attacking side, then dropout. Any other situation (kicked, passed, carried by defence, or carried by attacker) then 5m scrum. Otherwise it just pisses away the reward for getting that close.

Crap refereeing and one-eighth of the commentary team providing zero couldn't hide the fac that the NSW tight forwards got absolutely beasted. For a couple of big blokes, the Kiwi second rows in Caird and Whetton are soft as a pensioner's turd. Dempsey had some good moments and Tizzano was a fucking star. The other Harry/is/son at blindside was largely absent and a bit more Swinton could add the necessary aggression to this team to give them a bit more platform.

Reds had good combination across the midfield and Daugunu, who had a superb game. McReight and Wilson were on fire and the front five were generally good as a unit.

Tahs are missing someone like Hunt in the midfield to help read and shut down attacks.

Going to be a loooooooooong season.

I am unconvinced Rennie is the man to bring them along.

Good thing as getting them to standard is Penney's job ;)

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely Waratahs' lock problems are the same as Australia's. They don't develop them over in France and the UK as well as we do. We have something like 10 arguably Wallabies locks playing in the NH: Skelton, Arnold x 2, Rodda, Philip, Coleman, Simmons, L. Jones, Douglas, Meafou.

No other position has been pillaged like that, of course we'd be struggling to have good locks back here. All teams are.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
That’s a good point with the line drop out. If I’m understanding the rule correctly, a cynical team under pressure could pass it into the in goal, ground it and get a line drop out? If so, that’s rubbish.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s a good point with the line drop out. If I’m understanding the rule correctly, a cynical team under pressure could pass it into the in goal, ground it and get a line drop out? If so, that’s rubbish.
I believe that would still he an attacking 5 metre scrum.

As I understand it, the problem they were trying to solve was the amount of time wasted on packing scrums