• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 12 2018 NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues. 36 and 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No, I didn't see any indication that a penalty was due - I thought that Beale just didn't think that they were going to get through the Blues defence on the line so tried something different. Probably came up with the 'penalty' excuse due to his tactic failing.

Pretty sure I heard Peyper say "no, play on".

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Probably came up with the 'penalty' excuse due to his tactic failing.

yeah, thats why I was interested.
The highest he can put it would be "I thought we deserved a penalty" so kicked it way - Hoiles' commentary was funny though "he just over clubbed by a metre.....or 2" it was actually over clubbed by about 10, so not even close.
Why do the commentators feel the need to protect the players, it just perpetuates the problems.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At the game the initial thought during that passage of play was that the Waratahs had advantage but then Jaco put his arm down. Apparently there was knock-on advantage for a short period of time that the Waratahs incorrectly thought was penalty advantage.

The cross field kick was certainly the wrong option without penalty advantage.

They should have passed it to Isaia Toeava instead who would have surely scored.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
They should have passed it to Isaia Toeava instead who would have surely scored.

giphy.gif

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Except his winning percentage as a Wallaby is higher than any other player currently in the side as far as I know. So I'm not sure you can make the correlation that the Wallabies would be more successful with a better defender playing instead.

Also, Isaia Toeva is an exceptional player and I would like to see him one day named King of Pitcairn.

What? Winning percentage something like 5 or 6% against the team's of maybe 4.9 to 5.9%? Sure makes a hell of a difference BH. That's not to mention who the oppositions were for the games won while Beale was present versus otherwise. Is your case a clear example of what is commonly called a straw man argument?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What? Winning percentage something like 5 or 6% against the team's of maybe 4.9 to 5.9%? Sure makes a hell of a difference BH. That's not to mention who the oppositions were for the games won while Beale was present versus otherwise. Is your case a clear example of what is commonly called a straw man argument?

No. The central premise of your argument was that Beale's defence (and others) was bad and that if the Wallabies had employed a selection policy that didn't reward these players with selection they would be more succcessful.

Actual statistics refutes your argument. Beale's winning percentage as a Wallaby is not significantly higher than some other players but it is the highest in the team.

If you want to look at opponents, Beale's winning percentage in Bledisloe Cup games is 31.75%. All of our other experienced Wallabies that I have looked at are under 20% there.

I am suggesting that your perception is not backed by reality.

I am also suggesting that Isaia Toeava should have been a 50 test All Black at a minimum.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
A lot of talk about Beale - he was one of the shining lights for the Tahs I thought - his influence at 12 was one of the real positives.

However I thought the loose forwards for the Tahs got outplayed by the Blues - Papalii was much more effective at the breakdown than Hooper and Akira was hugely influential in the game whereas Wells was not. Like others it baffles me that Holloway has not kicked on at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Quade Cooper has the highest winning percentage against New Zealand.

No. 18.18% in Bledisloe Cup games. 2 wins 9 losses.

I note that ESPNscrum lists Bledisloe Cup games as a separate line which makes it easy to list. This would exclude up to two games (and losses) for our players when we have played them at the 2011 and 2015 RWC.

Isaia Toeava was part of that 2011 RWC squad although he didn't play in the semi final or final.

x2_a7d1d51.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A lot of talk about Beale - he was one of the shining lights for the Tahs I thought - his influence at 12 was one of the real positives.

However I thought the loose forwards for the Tahs got outplayed by the Blues - Papalii was much more effective at the breakdown than Hooper and Akira was hugely influential in the game whereas Wells was not. Like others it baffles me that Holloway has not kicked on at all.

Beale is quality, he is one of the few units who is an actual threat

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
lucky for the Tahs that Isaia Toeava wasn't playing last week or the thrashing would have been so much worse.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No. The central premise of your argument was that Beale's defence (and others) was bad and that if the Wallabies had employed a selection policy that didn't reward these players with selection they would be more succcessful.

Actual statistics refutes your argument. Beale's winning percentage as a Wallaby is not significantly higher than some other players but it is the highest in the team.

If you want to look at opponents, Beale's winning percentage in Bledisloe Cup games is 31.75%. All of our other experienced Wallabies that I have looked at are under 20% there.

I am suggesting that your perception is not backed by reality.

I am also suggesting that Isaia Toeava should have been a 50 test All Black at a minimum.

I find it easier to agree with your comment on Toeava than any of the others BH. The statistics on Beales involvement in winning teams are pretty much meaningless. I might suggest that, if they are such an insightful guide to overall success, than Quade should have started every test match for which he was fit. I understand his statistics are much more impressive thab Beales.

My suggestion is that in a team where every player performs his tackling/defensive duties at least adequately, there would most likely have been more success at the Wallaby level. That goes for a team including Beale if he were to improve his defensive abilities to something resembling adequate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find it easier to agree with your comment on Toeava than any of the others BH. The statistics on Beales involvement in winning teams are pretty much meaningless. I might suggest that, if they are such an insightful guide to overall success, than Quade should have started every test match for which he was fit. I understand his statistics are much more impressive thab Beales.

My suggestion is that in a team where every player performs his tackling/defensive duties at least adequately, there would most likely have been more success at the Wallaby level. That goes for a team including Beale if he were to improve his defensive abilities to something resembling adequate.

Beale's winning percentage is higher than Cooper's.

Of course it would be great if Beale's defence was better. It would be great if all our players were better at the things they're not very good at.

Based on the statistical improvement in the Wallabies results when he is in the team (which in a 71 test career is not an insignificant amount of data) it can be surmised that the benefits he provides to the team exceed any shortfalls in his defence (and other weaknesses in his game).

I'm not really sure how you can dismiss statistics showing that the Wallabies are more likely to be successful when Beale is in the team, particularly against the All Blacks because you think his defence is inadequate.

It's a bit perplexing.

former_all_black_isaia_toeava_joins_french_club_clermont.jpg

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Beale's winning percentage is higher than Cooper's.

Of course it would be great if Beale's defence was better. It would be great if all our players were better at the things they're not very good at.

Based on the statistical improvement in the Wallabies results when he is in the team (which in a 71 test career is not an insignificant amount of data) it can be surmised that the benefits he provides to the team exceed any shortfalls in his defence (and other weaknesses in his game).

I'm not really sure how you can dismiss statistics showing that the Wallabies are more likely to be successful when Beale is in the team, particularly against the All Blacks because you think his defence is inadequate.

It's a bit perplexing.

former_all_black_isaia_toeava_joins_french_club_clermont.jpg

Same must surely then also go for Quade, given his better stats than Foley! Surely? No?
61% vs 54% against all opposition.
Yes yes he's down against the ABs. 2-9 vs 2-8-1 (but he'll be better after the next couple bledo matches - benefit by exclusion!)
Come on BH, same argument, you have to agree. I'm sure Isaia agrees.

Reactions: TSR

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Same must surely then also go for Quade, given his better stats than Foley! Surely? No?
61% vs 54% against all opposition.
Yes yes he's down against the ABs. 2-9 vs 2-8-1 (but he'll be better after the next couple bledo matches - benefit by exclusion!)
Come on BH, same argument, you have to agree. I'm sure Isaia agrees.

His record is great but I think Cooper is past it.

If he can find a coach that thinks he is up to Super Rugby and prove otherwise then I'm all for him coming back. At his best form he's clearly an exceptional player.

I just have my doubts we'll ever see it again.

His current situation is interesting. It certainly looks like the door is shut to him in Queensland. If he stays there beyond this season just playing club rugby is he basically drawing the curtains on his elite career? Another year of club rugby isn't likely to land him a big contract after that.

Maybe Cooper can get a gig in France with Isaia?

Status
Not open for further replies.