• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 12: Reds v Sunwolves, Lang Park, 3/5/19 @ 7:45pm

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
At the very beginning of the game Gardiner called the front row/ captains together and said he didn't want the game to be about him, yet here we are and he's the main focus. The offside above was line ball at best, it looked offside because the Sunwolves player shot out like a rocket to cut Kerevi's space.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Angus had great control over teams who insisted on breaching the laws.
He gave the captains plenty of opportunity to control their own players.
One of his comments included "I'm backing off a bit here" iirc so we were spared the disaster of even more cards.
I can't think of a way any ref could have done better.

re-listen, I'm pretty sure he said "I'm not going to back off with one in the bin."

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
At the very beginning of the game Gardiner called the front row/ captains together and said he didn't want the game to be about him, yet here we are and he's the main focus. The offside above was line ball at best, it looked offside because the Sunwolves player shot out like a rocket to cut Kerevi's space.
I’m pretty sure a comment like that implies - get your shit together otherwise i will be the centre of attention. You can’t be having the Wild West out there because you simply don’t want to blow the whistle. While it wasn’t a good spectacle the blame for that should solely be put on the players.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Discipline wise, I didn’t think the Reds were that bad besides for Hockings stupid act at the end.

Sunwolves played consistently cynical when defending in their own red zone which put Gardner under pressure to try and sort it out, I think that then compounded a bit later on which lead to that YC for offside, which probably wasn’t a penalty at all.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Gardner reffed it how all refs should. It's the coaches who instruct the players to continually push the envelope. Clearly penalties alone aren't enough of a deterrent to stop giving away penalties. The laws are there for a reason - to ensure the game is good to play and watch.

I'd be all for taking a leaf out of the AFL's book and march the offending team 25 metres downfield at every penalty. When the AFL increased the 10m penalty to 50m for deliberately slowing the game, coaches dropped the tactic. I'd go further with an auto binning if the penalty occurs inside the 22.

Whilst i'm at it, i'd bring in a free kick if a team is not ready for a scrum or a lineout within 30 seconds of the ref's ruling. all the standing around is ruining the spectacle.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Hockings' card was a joke, careless at worst, he wasn't looking, could not be expected to know where the guy's head was. I expect common sense will prevail at the hearing.

I'll take the win but we were way too impatient. This is the inexperience, we needed an old bull to slow the game down play phase ball, the gaps will come. The mindset was "we need to score NOW" so they pushed the passes, ran around like headless chooks.

Feauai-Sautia needs to attach himself to Kerevi's shoulder, Samu creates so much space but the back up has been lacking.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wright again getting through mountains of work, we are still not getting 80 solid mins from Scott. Thought the tight 5 were solid,though Salakaia-Loto could be making more impact.

CFS solid again, Stewart more than made up for his errors with some sublime running and Kerevi the best back on the park. I'm with Mark Ella, Tate is the backup half for Australia; he is currently head and shoulders above the rest.

Sunwolves offside all night, surprised there were more cards to be honest. I've been a massive fan of their rugby this year but the discipline was terrible on Fri night.

Though we tried our best to lose the game we didn't, I'm pissed we didn't get the BP but I'm happy we now control our own destiny.