• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 13: Rebels v Reds @ Melbourne 10/5/19 7.45 pm

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Big game for both teams as the Australian conference tightens.

Rebels need a win to find some momentum in their season and stay on track to top the conference.

If the Reds win they jump the Rebels on the table and can start putting some realistic pressure on the top 8.

Reds coming off a very scratchy win, Rebels off a loss - albeit with an improved second half.

With a better roster and home ground advantage Rebels will be favourites, but the Reds are capable - just not consistent.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Winner of this one probably qualifies - so plenty to play for. (Loser might too!)

To beat the Reds - don't give away penalties and tackle Kerevi. He'll be running at Cooper all night.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My tip is the Reds. Rebels can't seem to hold it together for the full 80 and their early season form is gone.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can't see us winning this one TBH, we seem too stoic with our gameplan and way too much inconsistency with regard to performances.

Rebels by 10

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
In my eyes a must win game for Rebels. If we lose, given we have Crusaders and Chiefs in last two games, it is almost season over. We need to start making claims for top 8 spot now. (Although Chiefs are having an average season).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Apropos of nothing other than gut instinct, I reckon the Rebels will click and absolutely flog the Reds.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Hopefully the Rebs learn from the Canes match, Billy MUST start. I think Marika should have a rest - too easily exposed in defence, throws balls away rather than recycle and not offering much in attack- start Hodge or English on the wing - Magnay on the bench as cover

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Hopefully the Rebs learn from the Canes match, Billy MUST start. I think Marika should have a rest - too easily exposed in defence, throws balls away rather than recycle and not offering much in attack- start Hodge or English on the wing - Magnay on the bench as cover

Absolutely agree, and I'd go one further and suggest the Rebels start shopping him around for a trade. Huge contract that was never justified by his performances.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Magnay has been pretty effective from his starts. I don't think he's done enough to dislodge English but he's done well

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the Rebels will get away with this one, but won't be easy.

On team selections, I'd also like to see Koroibete given a rest, but I'd revert to Hodge at 15 and put DHP on the wing. Hodge is almost a must have and 15 is his best spot. DHP is equally at home on the wing.

Meakes must return to 12. Magnay certainly had some good touches when he came on last game. Might be putting some pressure on English for the 13 spot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, Rebels will be too good. They have the far better squad.

Should win by a similar score as earlier in the season.

Hockings is suspended as well.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am going to talk my book here, obviously, but I contend that Wessels and the coaching team have got the boys on track - they will play a tight game this week. Back home in Melbourne, their training this week will have them peaking perfectly for the game. The Reds seem to lack strategy aimed at shutting down specific opposition (don't read this Thorn) and that's why they are too predictable and too pedestrian in their game plan.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
yeah, Rebels will be too good. They have the far better squad.

Should win by a similar score as earlier in the season.

Hockings is suspended as well.

The reverse mockers Reg, like it.

I'm going to ignore all common sense & previous form & say Qld will lay down a marker.

Forwards go mongrel & we see some CFSamu magic.

Qld by 20