• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 14: QLD v NSW (The Stink Part II) - Lang Park 18/5 7.45

S

Show-n-go

It will come across as sour grapes I know, holy fuck the Tahs got the rub of the green tonight. Was there and in real time it looked at times that throwing the ball forward was the norm, why do we even have touchies ? (Sorry assistant refs). Must have been killing Angus not to blow his whistle , but would have loved him to make a call on something during the game.

Six tries to four and lose by 8 , fuck me !!!

I thought the tahs were lucky a few times with forward passes, especially when popping up the ball off the deck

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
U
The replay on the big screen looked pretty forward...

The crowd blew up big time when they showed it.

I'm still confused over Mafi's disallowed try - ref said held up (where you could clearly see it down) then we get a penalty for the Tahs being offside 10m back instead of a 5m scrum???

Mafi was very clearly held up......... ball never touched the grass.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Just watched on replay. Best Oz conference game I've seen for a long time. Both teams were good. Game flowed well. If the ref allegedly missed things he had nothing on the clanges we've seen recently and was largely invisible. A lot of good individual performances on both sides but thought the difference was despited the talk of how strong the Reds bench was, the bench players for the Waratahs finished off the job better.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Very disappointing not to be able to get the win.

However, there were certainly some strong points. Agree with you Silverado that it was a quality game with some good play by both sides. Quite surprising given some of the form of both teams leading in. Certainly the catch pass skills on display seem to be finally getting at a level you would hope for to play enterprising rugby.

Some really good young talent emerging. It will be interesting to watch how the likes of HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Hooper, Swinton, Mafi, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright & Campbell evolve. Was impressed with McGahan in his first game and Kerevi is just a class above. I doubted he could be an all round 12 in the fashion of Nonu and I am happily eating my words. It is an absolute tragedy that he is departing. Beale seems to also found his form again at 15. Tupou is finding it more challenging this year, but I am confident he’ll emerge even better for it in the longer run. He still remains a very impressive rugby player.

My final bit of praise is for Blyth. I figured he was going to become the 4th option behind Rodda, Salakai-Loto & Hockings. Now I am not sure. He has been very impressive. If Salakai-Loto remains at the Reds and we can regularly name that starting back 5 with Hockings on the bench, that is pretty handy.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'll have to check the replay - looked down at the field (it was right in front of us) and on the angle they showed on the big screen

It was a 50/50 I reckon. If it was awarded a try it probably would have stuck but he was looking for conclusive evidence to overturn his no try decision, and there was not enough of that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll have to check the replay - looked down at the field (it was right in front of us) and on the angle they showed on the big screen

Nah, great cover tackle and the ball was held up before he even crossed over and then couldn’t get it down.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
P
Nah, great cover tackle and the ball was held up before he even crossed over and then couldn’t get it down.
Agree, couldn't be awarded on video evidence either. The decision didn't have an effect on the result anyway as the Reds scored from the ensuing scrum

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I agree it was best game I have seen at Suncorp this year, as a part time Reds supporter I was obviously a little disappointed at loss, but certainly not at effort or game the boys put in. Have to reluctantly admit was probably right result as Tahs took chances (only saying reluctantly because in Qld you not allowed to give Tahs credit:p) and definitely think most that attended would be keen to come to another game, which I haven't said about many games at Suncorp last couple of years!
Just to add I went into game on lonesome, usually go with mate who was away, and recommend it to all at times, I enjoyed the company of supporters from both teams, in the bar at park ,before game and of course during game, actually on bus on way in too!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Very disappointing, same old story as soon as we score, we let the oppo in with a soft try.

Season over, let's hope we win the last few for pride in the jumper.

Not sure about the decision to play Lukhan @ 6 he was missing, a very disappointing season from him to be honest. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wright again mountains of work for no glory.

Refereeing again below par.

Well played NSW, took their opportunities.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Very disappointing, same old story as soon as we score, we let the oppo in with a soft try.

Season over, let's hope we win the last few for pride in the jumper.

Not sure about the decision to play Lukhan @ 6 he was missing, a very disappointing season from him to be honest. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wright again mountains of work for no glory.

Refereeing again below par.

Well played NSW, took their opportunities.
I would agree with that. I don't think he is anywhere near the RWC squad TBH.

Very diplomatic post FG.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting. I thought he was good. Maybe I need to watch again.

Certainly he is more workrate then impact, which was what I thought he would be when I first saw him as a 19 or 20 year old, but he still made a couple of crucial linking plays.

S

Show-n-go

Interesting. I thought he was good. Maybe I need to watch again.

Certainly he is more workrate then impact, which was what I thought he would be when I first saw him as a 19 or 20 year old, but he still made a couple of crucial linking plays.

Thought he had a pretty decent game also, couple of nice offloads

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it is a more a case of we have more players step up to the plate for no.6 position than Lukhan or Ned being worse thanlast season personally. For me Ned is actually has improved but got better options like Luke Jones, McCaffrey, Samu etc. Competition really been hotting up for backrow and locks this season.

For me I see Ned and Lukhan on fringes whether they will make RWC squad....Maybe one of them could make it but neither would be pushing as starting players at this point

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn’t be surprised or disappointed to see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 for the Wallabies. He has generally been very good for
mine. If not, good chance for the bench.

I personally don’t really see the improvement in Hanigan, but given he has been consistently part of the Wallabies squad for the last two years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him picked either.