• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 14: QLD v NSW (The Stink Part II) - Lang Park 18/5 7.45

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
some odd comments about LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I think he's been excellent this year. His best season yet. A much more mature player now with an excellent work rate

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
some odd comments about LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I think he's been excellent this year. His best season yet. A much more mature player now with an excellent work rate
And maybe your view will be vindicated by the wallabies selectors. I really like the bloke as a player, no skin off my teeth if he gets picked. Happy to run with it!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I think he started exceptionally well, and has gone off the boil for the last few games to being ordinary. I had him in my Wallaby team after his first few games but he would not make my squad any more.

Biggest disappointment for me this season has been Tupou, he does not seem to have the impact of last year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reg sometimes I wonder if I am watching the same game as others. He’s been great this season.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Biggest disappointment for me this season has been Tupou, he does not seem to have the impact of last year.

Tupou has been better these last few games. Got stitched up in the scrums earlier in the season by the refs and was a bit heavy coming off a big offseason.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Gee the Tahs clean out so well. Liam Wright didn't make any turnovers like he normally does. Some of Robertson's clean outs were world class. Also how Wells isn't in the Wallabies astounds me - Cheika's selection of Timu at 8 v Ireland last year over Wells looks horrible right now.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Yeah, Robertson does a lot of the real grunt work very well. Lots of hit-ups in close, lost of tackles, lots of clean-outs. Because he doesn't make any big barnstorming runs a lot of people don't rate him. He scrummaged pretty well too, the only scrum penalty against the Tahs came on Kepu's side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure if this link will work but on Phipps' chargedown of Hegarty is appears he was in front of the goal line before Hegarty's kick - surely the charge down shouldn't count??

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxqWTOtBGUl/?igshid=7p1yw0b16nyv

Looks pretty fine to me. It's only right at the end of the video where you get the replay where you can see Hegarty's run up.

The attachment is just as Hegarty is starting his runup. Phipps looks like he isn't in front of the line to me. Foley is clearly in front but he doesn't advance and attempt a charge down.

Attachments

• Phipps chargedown.jpg
    Phipps chargedown.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 172

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yep Foley def in front & Phipps appears to have one foot over.

What is the call on that anyway? Just take the kick again & they're not allowed to charge?

(not that it was the difference on result anyway as poor Hegarty forgot his tags....)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep Foley def in front & Phipps appears to have one foot over.

What is the call on that anyway? Just take the kick again & they're not allowed to charge?

(not that it was the difference on result anyway as poor Hegarty forgot his tags..)

Yes, you get to take the kick again with no charging.

I think Foley is pretty much irrelevant. A referee is never going to order a re-kick because someone who didn't charge was over the line when the kicker started his run up.

I think Phipps is close enough that it's also never going to get reviewed. Otherwise we'd have to look at a lot of missed conversions to work out whether someone charged slightly too early.

Maybe Hegarty should have pleaded for a review but at that point he's probably hoping that they're not going to show any replays let alone requesting for them to happen.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I tried looking for the rule, but I could have sworn you weren't allowed to stand under the goal during a conversion attempt?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tupou has been better these last few games. Got stitched up in the scrums earlier in the season by the refs and was a bit heavy coming off a big offseason.

He was never stitched up, just think he has stopped moving so much and is getting a better base to work off. Was always going to happen, I said then that they would sort out his problems reasonably quickly.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nah it looks like it's an urban myth thanks to Rugby League;

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/archive/index.php/t-7912.html

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/archive/index.php/t-17870.html

Rules don't specify anything like I was thinking, so perhaps I just picked it up from school/club land and never questioned it.

Geez mate, you sound like me, we get all this info that we not sure where we picked it up from!! One of the reasons I dislike smart phones, I can tell mates an actual fact while we having a beer on sidelines, and the buggers can check it up and at times point out my fact isn't actually as factual as I thought!!:mad::D

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I tried looking for the rule, but I could have sworn you weren't allowed to stand under the goal during a conversion attempt?

Half correct. It's a rule for penalty goals.

EDIT: the rule must have changed since I was playing, it appears you can now going by the graphic from the ROR:

penalty-kick-at-goal.jpg