• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 16: Rebels v Tahs

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Big one this weekend. Rebels likely to lose Genia, Tahs without Hunt. Rebels come off a good win against the Sunwolves, the Tahs a loss against the Pumas Jaguares.

Super exited for this one.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While I'm a Tahs fan, the Rebels need to win this to establish they are a genuine finals contender. The Rebels started their season well, but the wheel has wobbled a bit lately. While last week was a good performance, they really need to do that a bit consistently.
Tahs are now out of the contest for 2019, the year when they have really perfected the art of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They will be out for a better finish to the year, and players will be looking for RWC spots. Rebels need to show they're up for it.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Firstly, I hat that 8 teams make finals in a 15 team comp, devalues the comp if your being honest.

Rebels need to put the Tahs to the slaughter the same way they did the Sunwolves, need to top the group so need a bonus point win here and hope the Tahs can do us a favour against the Pony's next week.

Tahs are still due to rest a lot of Wallabies, any chance they will decide on this week, don't get me wrong I enjoy yelling abuse at Hooper for 80 minutes.

Couple of things the Rebels need to do this week in my opinion.

1) Take the 3 points on offer early, get the scoreboard ticking over so the Tahs start chasing the game early. Will open up the holes to attack through the backline.

2) Hodge kicking for touch, DHP been good but Hodge boot has a extra 20 meters on it.

3) Commit to the breakdown, don't give up any easy turnovers. Make the Tahs work for it, even if it means playing through the phases to work the ball down field.

I want to watch a really tough game where we come away with the win and prove we are finals contenders.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Firstly, I hat that 8 teams make finals in a 15 team comp, devalues the comp if your being honest.

Rebels need to put the Tahs to the slaughter the same way they did the Sunwolves, need to top the group so need a bonus point win here and hope the Tahs can do us a favour against the Pony's next week.

Tahs are still due to rest a lot of Wallabies, any chance they will decide on this week, don't get me wrong I enjoy yelling abuse at Hooper for 80 minutes.

Couple of things the Rebels need to do this week in my opinion.

1) Take the 3 points on offer early, get the scoreboard ticking over so the Tahs start chasing the game early. Will open up the holes to attack through the backline.

2) Hodge kicking for touch, DHP been good but Hodge boot has a extra 20 meters on it.

3) Commit to the breakdown, don't give up any easy turnovers. Make the Tahs work for it, even if it means playing through the phases to work the ball down field.

I want to watch a really tough game where we come away with the win and prove we are finals contenders.

But there's a nice poetry to DHP kicking and Hodge running lines.

DHP kicks with all the fluency and beauty that Hodge runs with, i.e. like a giraffe or lame donkey.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm on NSW over Genialess Rebels. Pending who gets rested of course.

He's such a key player. Rebels have to change the whole gameplan

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is there a chance that the Tahs have wholesale changes for this match now given the season is effectively gone and rest all the players they have to rest? The Tahs can only make the finals by winning their last three games.

They've got three games left, a lot of players need a rest and it would seem crazy to do for their final home game (Brumbies) and disappoint the fans that do turn up.

Resting the players against the Rebels and playing full strength against the Highlanders could be the right thing to do for the Aussie teams (not that a full strength side is any guarantee to beat the Rebels).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is there a chance that the Tahs have wholesale changes for this match now given the season is effectively gone and rest all the players they have to rest? The Tahs can only make the finals by winning their last three games.

They've got three games left, a lot of players need a rest and it would seem crazy to do for their final home game (Brumbies) and disappoint the fans that do turn up.

Resting the players against the Rebels and playing full strength against the Highlanders could be the right thing to do for the Aussie teams (not that a full strength side is any guarantee to beat the Rebels).
You’re implying some good will from a fellow Australian franchise towards the other. For the greater good of the game in the country and not the state. Blasphemy :p

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tahs:

1. Robertson
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Kepu
4. Hanigan
5. Simmons
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Wells
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Rona
12. Foketi
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Newsome
15. Beale

16. Tuala 17. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) 18. Talakai 19. Holloway 20. Miller 21. Gordon 22. Mason 23. Clark

Dempsey didn't get passed fit.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels

Melbourne Rebels Match Day 23 v Waratahs, Friday 31 May, kick off 7:45pm (EST)

Ins: Isi Naisarani, Luke Jones, Anaru Rangi
Outs: Jordan Uelese, Sam Jeffries, Rob Leota

1. Tetera Faulkner
2. Anaru Rangi
3. Jermaine Ainsley
4. Matt Philip
5. Adam Coleman
6. Luke Jones
Richard Hardwick
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Marika Koroibete
Matt To'omua
13. Reece Hodge
14. Jack Maddocks
15. Dane Haylett-Petty (c)

Replacements

16. Hugh Roach
17. Matt Gibbon
18. Sam Talakai
Ross Haylett-Petty
20. Angus Cottrell
21. Michael Ruru
22. Billy Meakes
23. Tom Englis

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
still think the best centre pairing for the Rebels is Meakes/English. I'd play Hodge on the wing with a roving commission. Maddocks was better last Saturday but still down on form imo.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given the Rebels played on a Saturday and this is a Friday game, it's the bare minimum time to recover. I think it's only the fact that it was an afternoon game last Saturday that gives him the clear 6 days.

He is still under the RTPP and has further hurdles to overcome in order to play. Being named in the team means he has passed all the hurdles so far.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He will have to get through the contact session tomorrow at the Captain's Run and then be symptom free for 24 hours after that to take the field on Friday.