• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 16: Rebels v Tahs

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
It was almost like Tony was back in the coaches box tonight - game plan: just keep kicking the ball.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
It was almost like Tony was back in the coaches box tonight - game plan: just keep kicking the ball.

There a couple of minutes left in the game. You are down by 5 points. What do you do
a) put a long kick with no chasers
b) box kick to gain no distance and lose possession
c) <%#{ knows just kick it I guess

Only real positive was Koriobete who has played amazingly the last 4 games.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
There a couple of minutes left in the game. You are down by 5 points. What do you do
a) put a long kick with no chasers
b) box kick to gain no distance and lose possession
c) <%#{ knows just kick it I guess

Only real positive was Koriobete who has played amazingly the last 4 games.

Waratahs weren't much better, receive the ball back with less than two minutes to go, what do you do:
(a) pick and go, pick and go, pick and go ... until siren and then kick the ball out; or
(b) run the ball near the touch line and risk being bundled into touch, giving the opposition a chance to steal the match.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well. that was poor. The Rebels' game plan was atrocious; just keep kicking the ball away even into the last minute or two when they were chasing the game.

And I am really off Genia too. Too often his service at the back of the ruck is slow; time after time he picks out a stationary player to pass to, usually a prop standing rooted to the spot; his box kicking must be the least effective of all half backs in Super Rugby; and to top it off he stands over a ball loose on the ground and refuses to secure possession. It's this last aspect of his game that will lose the Wallabies more games than he wins them through his apparent lack of intestinal fortitude.

One word on the refereeing. There is not one NZ ref who is adequate this year. Certainly, most are better than a couple of SA refs, but the NZ blokes are blind to knock ons, head high tackles and forward passes. These sorts of infringements only seem to get called when a touch judge intervenes. Williams was sub-standard.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
1 minute to go, Rebels in possession, 35 meters away from scoring a try, and they did what they did all night.
A few hit ups and then drop the ball.
I could see it coming because they had done the same thing all night.

Koro was very impressive.
Hooper has perfected a new turnover technique - since he gets blown away when trying to rip the ball from a grounded opponent, tonight he was ripping the ball from the arms of still-standing ball carriers.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Fuck me. 3% of kicks seemed effective, the rest went short and down foley or beale's throat. very surprised at the decision not to penalise rebels for the tunnelling of phipps; less surprised but still indignant that rona's shoulder charge wasn't carded.

shit display from a team stacked with talent.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well. that was poor. The Rebels' game plan was atrocious; just keep kicking the ball away even into the last minute or two when they were chasing the game.

And I am really off Genia too. Too often his service at the back of the ruck is slow; time after time he picks out a stationary player to pass to, usually a prop standing rooted to the spot; his box kicking must be the least effective of all half backs in Super Rugby; and to top it off he stands over a ball loose on the ground and refuses to secure possession. It's this last aspect of his game that will lose the Wallabies more games than he wins them through his apparent lack of intestinal fortitude.

One word on the refereeing. There is not one NZ ref who is adequate this year. Certainly, most are better than a couple of SA refs, but the NZ blokes are blind to knock ons, head high tackles and forward passes. These sorts of infringements only seem to get called when a touch judge intervenes. Williams was sub-standard.

He must have misread the memo that that directive was only meant when refereeing NZ teams against foreign opposition ;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tahs played well tonight I thought - Foketi proving to be good value at 12 and thought he had a very good game. And nice to see with the World Cup koroibete finally playing some outstanding football - yes he has been very good the last 4 weeks but particularly strong in the tackle tonight with great attacking rugby.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The refereeing was amateur at best tonight.

- First try Beale’s pass went around a meter forward
- The no yellow card on Rona
- At the game I don’t understand which Tahs player could remotely hold the ball up in the driving maul no try
- How Cottrell didn’t get a yellow for his challenge on Foley amazes me (looked a clear square up for earlier)
- Phipps knocking the ball on at the line out before they broke through, in which a Tahs player then tackled without the ball in the break
- Miller clearly winning the ball without supporting own weight, then plays it on the ground
- there was around 4/5 other clear knock ons
- Koroibete’s pass to Genia’s try deserved another angle to see if it was forward
- even from a player safety issue, game should of stopped immediately with Hanigan out cold.

Tahs clearly got the majority of the calls, but some shocking ones both ways that impacted the game on both sides. With another ref it could of easily been 35-20 Waratahs or Rebels win 27-7. He had more impact on the game than the players did, which isn’t the sign of a good performance.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The refereeing was amateur at best tonight.

- First try Beale’s pass went around a meter forward
- The no yellow card on Rona
- At the game I don’t understand which Tahs player could remotely hold the ball up in the driving maul no try
- How Cottrell didn’t get a yellow for his challenge on Foley amazes me (looked a clear square up for earlier)
- Phipps knocking the ball on at the line out before they broke through, in which a Tahs player then tackled without the ball in the break
- Miller clearly winning the ball without supporting own weight, then plays it on the ground
- there was around 4/5 other clear knock ons
- Koroibete’s pass to Genia’s try deserved another angle to see if it was forward
- even from a player safety issue, game should of stopped immediately with Hanigan out cold.

Tahs clearly got the majority of the calls, but some shocking ones both ways that impacted the game on both sides. With another ref it could of easily been 35-20 Waratahs or Rebels win 27-7. He had more impact on the game than the players did, which isn’t the sign of a good performance.

The ref reminded me of the stubbies ref who just let things go so everyone could get exhausted from non-stop play. The theory being that players get too tired to bash each other.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Waratahs weren't much better, receive the ball back with less than two minutes to go, what do you do:
(a) pick and go, pick and go, pick and go . until siren and then kick the ball out; or
(b) run the ball near the touch line and risk being bundled into touch, giving the opposition a chance to steal the match.

True, but it is funny when the opposition do it ...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Only seen the highlights but looks to be a clear forward pass in lead ups to one each of the Tahs and Rebels tries. Not sure how that maul didn't get awarded either. Surely it should be presumed they score unless clear evidence otherwise.