• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 9: Brumbies v Hurricanes, Napier - Friday 21st April 5:30pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies head over to Napier to take on the Hurricanes with 2 changes to their starting side - Mann-Rea and Dargaville back in.

1. Scott Sio
2. Josh Mann-Rea
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Rory Arnold
5. Sam Carter
6. Scott Fardy
7. Chris Alcock
8. Jarrad Butler
9. Joe Powell
10. Wharenui Hawera
11. James Dargaville
12. Andrew Smith
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Aidan Toua

16. Robbie Abel
17. Nic Mayhew
18. Ben Alexander
19. Blake Enever
20. Lolo Fakaosilea
21. De Wet Roos
22. Jordan Jackson-Hope
23. Nigel Ah Wong

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Of course he can.

You want to play the best team available don't you? That way if the Brumbies get their act together on the day and beat the Hurricanes (i.e. play like they did against the Reds not how they did against the Rebels) then no-one can say that they wouldn't have done it if Barrett wasn't there.

When the Reds played the Hurricanes they were in the game until late when the Canes just ran away with it. The Brumbies tend to be better at finishing games than the Reds so it's certainly possible, especially now that Speight seems to have rediscovered his spark.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That makes zero sense. What stops a player from tanking it and earning a red in the last few minutes of the game after his third yellow of the season in the same game?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You want to play the best team available don't you? That way if the Brumbies get their act together on the day and beat the Hurricanes (i.e. play like they did against the Reds not how they did against the Rebels) then no-one can say that they wouldn't have done it if Barrett wasn't there.

When the Reds played the Hurricanes they were in the game until late when the Canes just ran away with it. The Brumbies tend to be better at finishing games than the Reds so it's certainly possible, especially now that Speight seems to have rediscovered his spark.

That wasn't really my point. I can't see why he can accrue 3 yellows in 2 weeks and get a free pass. Unless winning World Rugby player of the year comes with the cloak of its previous winner? ;)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That makes zero sense. What stops a player from tanking it and earning a red in the last few minutes of the game after his third yellow of the season in the same game?

It's not the red card that resets the count. It's facing the judicary.

You have to go face them after a red card or three yellows in the season. BB was up after his red card

Don't think it makes much difference. He's not going to be suspended for technical penalties like deliberate knock-downs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't think it makes much difference. He's not going to be suspended for technical penalties like deliberate knock-downs.

Whilst technically, collapsing the maul comes under dangerous play, in modern rugby you could certainly argue that it is just as much a professional foul as a deliberate knock-down.

Both Kepu's yellow cards were for maul infringements when defending the goal line.

Barrett's second yellow against the Tahs should have been a penalty try as well as the yellow card. His knock-downs have been cynical to the extreme.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst technically, collapsing the maul comes under dangerous play, in modern rugby you could certainly argue that it is just as much a professional foul as a deliberate knock-down.

Both Kepu's yellow cards were for maul infringements when defending the goal line.

Barrett's second yellow against the Tahs should have been a penalty try as well as the yellow card. His knock-downs have been cynical to the extreme.

Kepu had a late hit yellow card as well

Kepu copped a one-week suspension after an off-field warning for a late hit on Hurricanes fullback Jordie Barrett last week. The warning was added to his two yellow cards from earlier in the season and tripped a visit to the SANZAAR judiciary for repeated offences.

The regulations start with a one week suspension for repeated offenses - unless there was no foul/ dangerous play. BB meets that second criteria. Kepu doesn't.

I agree BB should have been a penalty try and very cynical. Not going to get him suspended though.....

Sorry, on phone so hard to search, here's the RFU regulations
http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu...5/20/RFU_Regulation_19_appendix_1_Neutral.pdf

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I personally think it should. A yellow card is given for a professional foul. BB is showing a repeated pattern of behaviour. I confess I didn't see the third yellow (just the two on the goal line which were both intention knock-ons/borderline offside). Surely as a sport we want to stop unsportsmanlike conduct (i.e. intentionally offending to halt the momentum of the opposition team).

The Kiwis are clinical at cynical and we risk falling back into patterns that reward play that is not in the spirit of the game (i.e. South Africa's kicking/defence approach to Rugby around 2007-2010).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Most definitely........ Fitzpatrick was unmarked and if it wasn't for the slap down it was a definite try.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez you jokers take the cake, the thread about a Brumbies game and it dominated by the "oh poor us, he should of been suspended for 3 yellow cards" !! FFS fellas can you not be a little more positive and say how you think the game can be won by either the Brumbies or Canes??
I personally think it got the makings of a great game, and think the Brumbies will need to take a hard edge into the game, and actually try and play what many on call 10 man style rugby (although when NH teams etc play it they called negative etc), but if Brumbies disrupt the Canes pattern and play a set piece game,it is their best bet. Think you may find they kick for touch, and not into open field quite a bit etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Geez you jokers take the cake, the thread about a Waratahs game and it dominated by the "oh poor us, he should of been suspended for 3 yellow cards" !! FFS fellas can you not be a little more positive and say how you think the game can be won by either the Tahs or Canes??
I personally think it got the makings of a great game, and think the Tahs will need to take a hard edge into the game, and actually try and play what many on call 10 man style rugby (although when NH teams etc play it they called negative etc), but if Tahs disrupt the Canes pattern and play a set piece game,it is their best bet. Think you may find they kick for touch, and not into open field quite a bit etc.

Why are you talking about the Tahs in the Hurricanes vs Brumbies thread mate?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies will need to quickly get over last weeks game. For Tom Banks to be out of the 23 altogether is interesting and haopefully isn't paying the price for the Korobiete try last week, although if you dropped everyone who missed tackles in that try you'd need a new half back, fullback and fly half.

The one thing the Brumbies will need to do is kick it to the shithouse when clearing so that J Barrett and J Savea won't carve them up on a counter attack. The one area where the Brumbies may have parity is the forwards so they'll need to keep it tight if they are a chance.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why are you talking about the Tahs in the Hurricanes vs Brumbies thread mate?

Yep geez I not very bright myself Braveheart, getting names mixed!!:confused:
Thank god we can edit it!!:rolleyes:
Anyway interesting to see PJ Perenara not starting for Canes!!
Team-naming_V-Brumbies-social.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Kick it to the shithouse, kick it long, kick it into open space - it's all the same to the Canes. Kick it anywhere and they'll turn it into a try scoring opportunity within a phase or two.

Keep the ball in hand. probably still won't work, but will make it harder for the Canes to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.