• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Re: Cricket - RSA v ENG

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not going to open a thread for the Poms vs SA test but finally look like our lot is doing something right. England winning the toss, to much confidense in bating first (you never bat first on a green mamba Wanderers pitch) and Morkel getting stuck in the top order. 47/4 at the moment and the top 4 gone.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez Paarl your lot are going through the Poms like a hot curry. I can't get over how empty the ground is though for the first day of the final test between two top test nations with a lot still to play for. I know its a Thursday but surely you could get a few more than they have now.

Even the Aus/Pak dead rubber in Hobart (very small population) was fairly packed, despite what I would consider a far less interesting game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja its pretty disappointing. Compare that to the Newlands test which was well attended over New Year. I think the disappointing results also play some role but a 1st day on a thursday will not be well supported on the Wanderers.

Saw the Poms all out for 180.

Pretty stupid captaincy from Strauss , he should know better then deciding to bat first on that green strip.

Myself is very disappointing with the Proteas at the moment. They should do a lot better against the English. Not trying to take credit from them but hell Harris is not the solution. I can understand that batters lose form but Harris nothing more then a stop slow bowler.

Last night I watch the Dolphins (Rugby version of the Sharks) playing EP Eagles and Darren Smith the guy that should get a change. A pretty good wrist leg spinner, can backup as a wickey (he played there for his province) and a hard hitter. He starred last year in T20 cricket for them.

We need this veriation in our bowling, the Steyn/Morkel/De Wet is combo is damn quick but all doing the same thing.

I just get the feel that Athur is not the right man for the coaching job. We need a guy like Kepler or Jennings there, to give the players the xtra inch in the brain to stay at the top. Our cricket talent is outstanding these days. No one even know about de Wet before his first test and I can promise you here is a lot of big boer qiuckies now going through our structures.

my two cents.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA now 79/1 after they bundled the Poms out for 180. 400 should be their target. Smith going great guns on 41.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Amla is my favourite saffa batsman. If only he could grow a mo, he'd be the complete package

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
When rain stop play SA had 208/2. Smith got his ton and went, Amla now on 71 and Kallis with him in the middle. Still a fair bit of bounce and movement in the wicket and still 20 overs to go before the Poms can lay their hands on the second new ball.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Could someone with editorial power on this site split this thread. No offence, PB, but the 2 Test series warrant their own thread each, rather than a mish-mash. :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Poms 48/3 still trailing a lot of runs. Look like only the rain will stop SA from leveling this one. I wont be surprise because they had all the luck in this series.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
and finally Morkel destroyed the Pom batting in the second innings to level the series. Now I see the Poms squatter all over Harper about a mistake when Smith was batting. Myself always believe in the gentleman thing when you batting and nick one. Dont leave it for the umpire and just take a walk but Smith a bit of a spoiled brat and now it end up in a moerse fighting point. He is talking through his arse telling us he wasnt sure he nicked it, he vokken knew pretty well.

Next appointment India in India and a big mountain to climb. Hope they pick a wrist leg break spinner for this one or pay the price.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I find it ironic that the whining English want to remove the system that could have fixed the problem. The mistake had some bearing on a match they would've lost anyway, but really they were awful. Better to say they want the problems ironed out so the mistake doesn't happen again, instead of scrapping the system so that howlers remain. Idiots.

They were bitter about the borderline (not) no ball that went against them, but I think everyone agrees that was fair enough.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ag ja what will I say. They argue about the system anyway and they were flippen lucky all through the series. Personally I think the Proteas should have put them away long ago and ,yself always wandered why they dont use technollogy in cricket many moons away. You'll always find one or two going against you but overall I think its a pretty usefull tool to get to the right decision. They were not even close to the Proteas in the last test.

Status
Not open for further replies.