• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebel v Tahs, round 15 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs team seems to be:

1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Ryan
4. Potgieter
5. Douglas
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Alofa
15. Folau

16. Roach
17. Tilse
18. Kepu
19. Skelton
20. Hoiles
21. McKibbin
22. Lance
23. Carraro

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Fuglistallers right shoulder goes earlier each week

Fugi is one of my favourite players but has been playing with a shoulder injury since the Highlanders game. Why is he not on the injured list? McGahan should give him rest. Maybe Timani will make his debut from the bench!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
An issue that I have with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is that he generally goes to ground rather than passing.

Notwithstanding @Braveheart81's point about phase play, I think that this makes AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s play very predictable.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Actually, since the Tahs started running proper support lines, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has started passing again. Over the past couple of years its been a hard habit to break as he makes it through the line and finds himself isolated.

He has a few try assists this season from memory. And I'd rather he go to ground than pop a stupid pass.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Waratahs team seems to be:

1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Ryan
4. Potgieter
5. Douglas
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Beale
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Alofa
15. Folau

16. Roach
17. Tilse
18. Kepu
19. Skelton
20. Hoiles
21. McKibbin
22. Lance
23. Carraro

top side on paper...looks like Skelton getting a rest after some good tests last few weeks....Still a concern re scrums. Not sure why after the amount of time theyve had together. There seemed to be a bit of pack height issues last week,maybe needed to get feet back due to size of Lions pack but resulted in them falling forward...any experts?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
top side on paper.looks like Skelton getting a rest after some good tests last few weeks..Still a concern re scrums. Not sure why after the amount of time theyve had together. There seemed to be a bit of pack height issues last week,maybe needed to get feet back due to size of Lions pack but resulted in them falling forward.any experts?

They don't have a full time scrum coach so Benn Robinson is effectively scrum coach. After the first half a dozen rounds there has been a pretty steady improvement on the back of dedicating more training time to it.

Cheika is making the choice to start Ryan despite his poorer scrummaging because he is better around the field than Kepu. Ryan has often had a problem with getting his feet too far back (i.e. not crouching enough) and that has resulted in scrum collapses.

Overall I think they did reasonably against the Lions scrum considering it is the most successful in the comp. We gave away a couple of penalties but it was by no means disastrous.

I expect we'll have a better scrum than the Rebels once Kepu comes on. It should be pretty even from the start.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Size of Lions pack wasn't the issue - their combination and clear emphasis on training together is what makes them good.

Ryan still packs with his arse too far up in the air. Doesn't matter what your feet do after that. Bend your levers you lazy sod - you're a tighthead and can't get by on beard alone. Get low, lock down, and hang on.

Fat Cat is suffering a little from not adjusting his technique as well. In the days of the hit he'd often come down on top of his opposing TH's neck, then bend them up. Now he just needs to get lower and drive up. His fitness is also a concern.

Rebels scrum working well together as a unit should provide a pretty stern test, that's for sure. They've been doing some good work with Smith there to lead the attack from loosehead and some solid units in the tight five.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Actually, since the Tahs started running proper support lines, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has started passing again. Over the past couple of years its been a hard habit to break as he makes it through the line and finds himself isolated.

He has a few try assists this season from memory. And I'd rather he go to ground than pop a stupid pass.

I'm not advocating that.

D

daz

I think Link is going to wish he could have waited until Friday night to name his squad, because the Rebels pack is going to monster the Tahs.

;)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Tahs pack, regardless of whether Skelton is in or not, Is pretty damn big, but has failed to assert its authority so far.

Benn Robinson seems to be suffering from New Rules syndrome, dominant under the old call, struggling under the new. Ryan isn't and hasn't been a scrum prop ever. In contrast, all 5 of our props seem to have the techniques down pat, it probably helped that Smith, Lahiff and Paulie all played ITM cup last year. Scrum becomes a weapon while Nevilles on the field.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BoH1qZGIUAAGyB2.jpg

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks oztimmay...we often eat at RCH pre match...might try the pizzas at PO for a change - any view of the Corner hotel?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Right opposite it. @kevino and I are usually there out front. The more the merrier. That goes for our northern cousins, should they venture down to Mexico.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Looking forward to this, I do give us a chance if we can get off to any type of start, lets ruin the Tahs finals hopes.

Thanks oztimmay.we often eat at RCH pre match.might try the pizzas at PO for a change - any view of the Corner hotel?

Know the manager of the PO has some friends down from Sydney so you won't be alone as Tahs supporters in enemy territory.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looking forward to this, I do give us a chance if we can get off to any type of start, lets ruin the Tahs finals hopes.

Know the manager of the PO has some friends down from Sydney so you won't be alone as Tahs supporters in enemy territory.

Ah yea forgot about that last bit. Will make the night more interesting indeed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.