• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
In relation to a GF/trial ground, Hawthorn footy club's old ground Glenferrie Oval is without a tentant and could be brought up to scratch. for a fee. Between school and club there's a fair bit of footy played within a 3 suburb radius of that ground.

From memory the VRU looked at Glenferrie as the venue for a state rugby facility back in the late 90's although nothing came of it.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Yep, they can shove all their Friday night games.

Sick of the whole corporate angle they go for.
how many fans went to the sunday afternoon game? - end of discussion
i'd prefer more saturdays but it becomes a very big challenge up against the afl on saturdays where there are multiple games vs usually only one friday night afl game.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Sunday afternoon game this year had the lowest attendance of any Rebels game since the club commenced and over 3500 tickets were given away.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
I can't argue that the Sunday game was a success, however a couple things should be said.
1 - the F1 GP was on the same day.(I said fathers day previously, sorry i got confused)
2 - it was VS the Cheetahs - this would have been a small crowd regardless

I have said here many times Friday work for me, but i make the argument because how can the Rebels increase the fan base without a bit of give and take. I am sure rugby fans and G&GRers would happily give every Friday night to rugby, BUT to get non rugby followers involved they need a bit of variety in scheduling, if you can't make Friday you have more than one option a year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I can't argue that the Sunday game was a success, however a couple things should be said.
1 - the F1 GP was on the same day.(I said fathers day previously, sorry i got confused)
2 - it was VS the Cheetahs - this would have been a small crowd regardless

I have said here many times Friday work for me, but i make the argument because how can the Rebels increase the fan base without a bit of give and take. I am sure rugby fans and G&GRers would happily give every Friday night to rugby, BUT to get non rugby followers involved they need a bit of variety in scheduling, if you can't make Friday you have more than one option a year.

I don't mind the Friday night games, but once the club rugby season starts it's a bit of a pain not to be able to have a few beers before and after the game because you have a match the next day. I alos have to drive my car for work so it requires me parking my car in town for the night if I do have a few beers and collecting it the next night.

I really enjoyed having the game on the Saturday night in Melbourne, I know it has to compeat with AFL but it was great to be able to go to a Rugby game in Melbourne on a Saturday night. After all we are undefeated in Melbourne on Saturday.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Excellent point. If we could be certain we would play like we did against the Saders every week , probably wouldnt matter when we played , we would draw a crowd.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Doesn't matter when we play, we are more than likely up against an AFL game. There are 10 clubs here.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Obviously South Melbourne would be a more viable ground but it's a mecca for suburban soccer, would they actually loan it to us?
It's also home to the VIS, hence the running track.

I think it's a great option, combined with using the Power House pitches down further.

As long as the pitch heals in time for the next football/soccer fixture.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
As much as i'd love it to be an option, Lakeside is no chance as rugby finals will clash with the VPL season, which means South Melbourne FC is just going to say fark off.

“We don’t have to share this ground with any of the other football codes, which means the surface doesn’t get damaged by rival codes and with no scheduling problems around other codes," South President Leo Athanasakis toldau.fourfourtwo.com.
“This stadium is for football and football alone, and we’re a club that knows and appreciates football.”

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/225394,new-look-lakesides-a-league-pitch.aspx

Glenferrie Oval should have been the first thing snapped up by the Rebels when they came on the scene as a Rugby only facility. In what is a Rugby hotspot in Victoria with 5 Rugby Schools and 1 Club within 3km as well as being bang on a major student area with Swinburne Uni and other non rugby girls, secondary and primary schools nearby. With a full renovation, it offered so much more than just borrowing crappy office and gym space at Optus Oval from Carlton.

http://progress-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/rugby-rebels-go-glenferrie/
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union/rebels-eye-glenferrie-oval-20100308-pr5j.html

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
I take people's points re: the Sunday game not drawing a big crowd (but it was up against the GP). I work in the city so Friday night is good for me but the issue is not the time it takes to get into the suburbs. The issue I have is that the fact the matches start at 7:30, finish at 9:30 and you may not get home until 10:30 is not good for people with young families. One of the best ways to grow your supporter base particularly for the future is to encourage the kids to attend. I attended all matches this year but the only game my kids (5 year old and 3 year old) came to was the Cheetahs game on the Sunday. My wife came to that game plus the Easter Thursday game v the Blues. The Little Rebels membership was a good initiative this year but it would be better if the there were a couple of games the kids could come to.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
how many fans went to the sunday afternoon game? - end of discussion
i'd prefer more saturdays but it becomes a very big challenge up against the afl on saturdays where there are multiple games vs usually only one friday night afl game.
A small issue with the Saturday game was after playing/reffing it was difficult to get the the ground with the traffic, having said that I was there before the curtain raiser each game so I can't say I have experienced the 7pm rush.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Anyone who had watched any of the competition knew that the Cheetahs game would've been a cracker.

That may well be, ef, but historically the Saffer matches don't draw good crowds in Australia. For starters there are bugger all away supporters.

BTW, well played Cheetahs in 2012, getting off the bottom of the table was no mean feat.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
As much as i'd love it to be an option, Lakeside is no chance as rugby finals will clash with the VPL season, which means South Melbourne FC is just going to say fark off.

“We don’t have to share this ground with any of the other football codes, which means the surface doesn’t get damaged by rival codes and with no scheduling problems around other codes," South President Leo Athanasakis toldau.fourfourtwo.com.
“This stadium is for football and football alone, and we’re a club that knows and appreciates football.”
Screw Hellas, they don't own it.

No different to when the Rugby season starts with Football crossing over.

Eg. On Friday Feb 15, the Rebels play with Victory the next night.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Rebels what do they do for a training and administration base?

Visy Park, aka Princess Park. Carlton's old home ground before the AFL centralised everything.

Sometimes they mix up the facilities though as all good sport teams do, training at the beach or a school.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Neville is on his way to Argentina to join the squad after Sharpie's injury. This is good for the Rebels but what does Hugh Pyle have to do for Deans to wake up, it's Pyle's side of the Scrum...

Status
Not open for further replies.