• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Bullshit. Brad Thorn is still playing, despite his injuries. He's 39. Nathan Hines has signed a new contract with Sale, and he'll be 40 by then. He played the majority of Clermonts games this season.

Nothing wrong with old heads, especially in the second row.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

He is a lovely bloke and a very capable lock in a very good comp, but even Tree would be the first to admit he is no Brad Thorn.

I don't think you can use Thorn as a comparison with anyone, even using the age card. He is on a another level to most lock mortals.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mark Chisholm's dad-in-law (former Reds captain and Wallaby lock Bill Campbell) lives in Melbourne I believe. May be another inducement you could use.

T

TOCC

Bullshit. Brad Thorn is still playing, despite his injuries. He's 39. Nathan Hines has signed a new contract with Sale, and he'll be 40 by then. He played the majority of Clermonts games this season.

Nothing wrong with old heads, especially in the second row.

Both those players are test stalwarts, even as age diminishes their skills they are still very good players..Treloar is barely at super rugby level before age started catching up. Not exactly comparable.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
For the moment at least, we're not on the bottom of the Australian conference ladder. Thank you points difference :)

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2014/rugby/series/201565.html?template=pointstable

see what you think.

Same as you swingpass, nothing new for me there that GAGR hasn't already thrash about. We do have probably our best chance to beat the Reds this year, given their current state of injuries (Genia, Gill etc...) and it would be nice to get it at Suncorp.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
For the moment at least, we're not on the bottom of the Australian conference ladder. Thank you points difference :)

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2014/rugby/series/201565.html?template=pointstable

Same as you swingpass, nothing new for me there that GAGR hasn't already thrash about. We do have probably our best chance to beat the Reds this year, given their current state of injuries (Genia, Gill etc.) and it would be nice to get it at Suncorp.

Agree nothing new, when you look at the ladder our close loses don't feel as bad. Still Force away has annoyed me.

We really need to beat the Reds this year, and away would be nice as I will be there. Should be on top of Lions as well but they have a extra win, just no bonus points.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
i didnt see this anywhere could be a good pick up for you guys.

Berrick Barnes eyes Australian return
FORMER Wallabies playmaker Berrick Barnes will decide this week whether to return to Australia or remain playing in Japan. A veteran of 51 Tests for the Wallabies, Barnes is considering an offer from the Melbourne Rebels.
Barnes, 27, has played with Japanese team Panasonic Wild Knights since leaving the NSW Waratahs at the end of the 2013 Super Rugby season.
A return to Australia would put Barnes in the running to play in a third World Cup in England next year.
Barnes would also help the Rebels in their search for an experienced five-eighth. Rebels coach Tony McGahan coached Barnes at the Wallabies and knows him well.
The Rebels have never adequately replaced James O’Connor (London Irish) and Kurtley Beale (Waratahs), who handled their playmaking duties in recent seasons.
They have also expressed interest in Brumbies playmakers Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano.
To'omua and Lealiifano are two of the best playmakers in the country and both have strong links with Melbourne.
Lealiifano was born in Auckland, but moved to Melbourne when he was seven years old. To'omua was born in Melbourne and moved to Brisbane where he attended high school. They both made their Super Rugby debuts with the Brumbies in 2008 and have competed for the five-eighth position ever since.
The Brumbies are keen to keep both To'omua and Lealiifano, but they are believed to be exploring options overseas. It is understood Lealiifano has received an offer from the ARU which was unsatisfactory, but negotiations are continuing.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...stralian-return/story-e6frg7o6-1226891556657#

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i didnt see this anywhere could be a good pick up for you guys.

I'd rather Lelo but I wouldn't be too disappointed with signing Barnes. Given Ellison is gone it wouldn't be so bad to have to 10/12 of Barnes/Lio and Inman back at 13.

Barnes has never really played that well in Super Rugby, he's the step up at test level type of player. How's he gone in Japan?

T

Train Without a Station

Don't think Berrick really fits into what we need at the Reds Reg unless the Rebels make a play for Harris.

Perfect for the Rebels though. A senior leader that can offer guidance for Hegarty at 10 from 12, play 10 to push Hegarty to improve and has played international rugby at 15.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
This is a perhaps... pointless? post, but one that applies regardless of whom we recruit to play 10/12 but I feel it's worth saying.

Inman-Ellison has 100% been our best center pairing ever, especially the inspired move of Inman to 12. While Ellison is 99.95% gone, I feel that moving Inman again would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

In the scenario where Barnes is recruited, there are a whole bunch of possible combos floating in my head, but the two which stand out the most are:

9. Burgess/Stirzacker
10. Barnes
11. English
12. Inman
13. Sau
14. Woodward
15. Hegarty

21. Stirzacker/Burgess
22. Mitchell
23. Kingston

9. Burgess/Stirzacker
10. Hegarty
11. Kingston
12. Barnes
13. English
14. Mitchell
15. Woodward

21. Stirzacker/Burgess
22. Inman
23. Sau

My preference would be for the first one. But, it does count on Sau, or another 13 who's a little more creative being recruited.

After writing this, it seems like a bit of unwarranted nonsense, but it displays my feelings that recruiting someone with the intention of them playing Inside Center could be more dangerous than its worth.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't think Berrick really fits into what we need at the Reds Reg unless the Rebels make a play for Harris.

Perfect for the Rebels though. A senior leader that can offer guidance for Hegarty at 10 from 12, play 10 to push Hegarty to improve and has played international rugby at 15.

really? He's a 2ndry playmaker - which we lack.

Has a great kicking game - which we lack.

And is a sure defender - which we lack.

We should jump at him.

Injury is the only thing. Wary of signing another Turner.

D

daz

I would take Berrick at the Rebels every day of the week, but not at the expense of moving Mitch back to 13.

My bias aside, I don't think anyone would argue that Mitch has been a revelation at 12.

How is this for thinking outside the box: English to 13, Woodward to the wing and put Barnes at fullback.

I say this because English has good hands, great lateral vision, and has a good solid body for 13.

I have a feeling the lad could bend the line at 13 more often than not.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would take Berrick at the Rebels every day of the week, but not at the expense of moving Mitch back to 13.

My bias aside, I don't think anyone would argue that Mitch has been a revelation at 12.

How is this for thinking outside the box: English to 13, Woodward to the wing and put Barnes at fullback.

I say this because English has good hands, great lateral vision, and has a good solid body for 13.

I have a feeling the lad could bend the line at 13 more often than not.

Woodward looked like a great runner last year (and has been a good runner at times this year) but he's a kicking 15. Leave the man there.

D

daz

Woodward looked like a great runner last year (and has been a good runner at times this year) but he's a kicking 15. Leave the man there.

Like I said, just a bit of out of the box thinking.

Barnes can play 10, 12 and 15.

So, he is either going to displace Hegarty, Inman or Woodward. Or at the very least, be in a battle for one of those spots.

I guess the good thing about Barnes is that he provides a very good cover for those position, but using conventional thinking, I'd see him battling primarily with Hegarty for a starters jersey.

Unconventional thinking is my original post, which I maintain is not completely unworthy of consideration.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Not a huge fan of it. Mainly because I have horrifying memories of him kicking at every single possibly opportunity. I don't like what he brings at flyhalf, I'm not sure he offers more than Woodward at fullback and I've enjoyed Inman at 12 this year. Next year English or Kingston to 13, Veainu to the wing, and Lilo at flyhalf will do me just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.