• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

That's what I'm trying to determine.

He wasn't a regular squad member or even EPS Lindo. He was signed on a "Supplementary Contract". Generally these have been for situations like in the case of Steve Faulau being contracted due to Sexton's injury.

If the Rebels never offered him a 2015 contract, he signed overseas then reneged and ends up signing with the Tahs I don't see any issue.

T

tranquility

Cue outrage at how could the Waratahs possibly afford to sign a player who would command the minimum Super Rugby salary.

Nah, you"re probably right - it's probably a good thing for Australian rugby that he signs for the Tahs. You probably need him more, he might even learn about winning rugby there. Cheers bloke!

T

Train Without a Station

Tranquility I must give you credit. You are certainly unwavering in your crusade.

T

tranquility

Of course I'm unwavering, it's not an emotion, it's a strongly held belief.

T

Train Without a Station

I always find Braveheart to be perfectly reasonable. At least for a Waratahs supporter.

Back to his and my point which you haven't addressed in your misdirected anger towards the Waratahs.

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/rabodirect-rebels-sign-lalakai-foketi

Read this article that outlines Foketi's contract with the Rebels. Significant quotes are:

Lalakai Foketi has signed as a full-time Member of the 2014 RaboDirect Rebels squad. As of January 1st, Lalakai is a supplementary squad Member.

He was signed on a "supplementary contract". Not sure of exactly what this is. As mentioned Faulau was signed on one as an injury replacement. Regardless, it shows he is not even in the 30 or EPS and states it's for 2014, which one would assume is only.

"Eventually, getting into the main squad and maybe even pushing for the bench in a couple of games would be great. I really want to feature in the National Rugby Championships if possible, and hopefully I can secure a full contract if I work hard over the course of the season."

That seems to reiterate that it's not part of the regular 30 man squad nor EPS.

"I also know guys like Jordy, Cadeyrn and Pat from Manly, and they've been really helpful also."

Seems to have Sydney connections too.

So it appears due to no offers in Sydney in January he went down to Melbourne where there was one. Didn't get a great deal of game time, was away for the JWC anyway, and reportedly signed with Bayonne.

Somewhere along the line the Waratahs have potentially shown interest in a Sydney player, who was not even on a full time regular squad contract with the Rebels and he is apparently looking to terminate his move to France because he would rather player in his home city (likely for less money mind you).

There was also rumours he was unhappy in Melbourne and wanted to be playing for the Marlins when he was not playing Super Rugby, which I believe I responded to Dave Beat that he "shouldn't have fucking signed for the Rebels" if that's the case. Or something similar.

Explain what the Waratahs have done, which is so poor, other than offering likely a low value contract for a player not even discussed about as a Rebel for 2015, that didn't want to be in Melbourne.

Good result for all as far as I'm concerned. Except Bayonne. But fuck them. They can go cry into their buckets of TV Money.

T

tranquility

It really doesn't concern me, and its more the attitude of the comments rather than the exact circumstances. I have barely seen the bloke play, and there is no need to defend Braveheart. You are on the same rung as him in my eyes, and we go for the same team!

You are what the indigenous call an Uncle Tom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom_syndrome

T

Train Without a Station

So even though I passionately have spent the whole year arguing the cases of Horwill and Simmons, wax lyrically about To'omua and got in a disagreement when somebody tried to call Beale a wallaby 12 option, I'm a Waratahs "Uncle Tom"? That'll fucking do me.

D

daz

Ok guys, that will do. Tranquility has copped a smack and I'm not keen to hand out any more this evening.

Move on please. It's Friday, so happy smiling faces all 'round. Yes?

T

tranquility

So even though I passionately have spent the whole year arguing the cases of Horwill and Simmons, wax lyrically about To'omua and got in a disagreement when somebody tried to call Beale a wallaby 12 option, I'm a Waratahs "Uncle Tom"? That'll fucking do me.

Big time..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby News' Shute Shield team of the year says Tim Metcher is signed to the Rebels. Assuming he means Melbourne and not Southern Districts. They are gonna be a good scrummaging team next year with the depth of props their collecting.

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/rugby-news-2014-shute-shield-team-of-the-year/

I reckon there's a good chance of that:

Tim Metcher was almost unrecognisable at the start of the season after shedding his distinctive dreads but his reputation as the best front-row scrummager going around means he gets the nod for a second year running. While Chubb is out to make an impact on the NRC, Metcher has been signed by the Melbourne Rebels for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.