• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I tend to think it could become a big discussion topic in 2016 but only if there are 4 or 5 players who would obviously be in our best 23 playing overseas.

Currently I'd put that number at zero with several players in or around the mark but not bleedingly obvious selections.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hopefully never, it will destroy domestic rugby. I'm ok with making exceptions for the RWC however.
I was of that view for a long time.

However, it seems like the tipping point is coming - and very soon.

I think Bob Dwyer might be right on this (OS selections with limits), as much as we may not like it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Goodbye to Super rugby ratings when every Aus side is getting smashed and made up of zero Wallabies.
I know and I dislike it.

But as more of the best go anyway, the squeeze is starting to occur.

We may end up down the Saffa path (although they've got a bigger base). Restarting development cap games for Australia A, and so on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Any decision should be made in reaction to an exodus rather than beforehand which would effectively pave the way for Wallabies to head overseas knowing they'll still be picked for the Wallabies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There is likely to be a bit of an exodus after 2015.

Presumably any Wallaby over (say) 28 y.o. that departs would be considered natural turnover. - So we'd continue in attempting to consolidate around the 23-27 y.o. bracket.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
i am totally in favour of players going overseas whenever they want, with criteria set for their selection in the Wallabies.

please imagine what Australia would look like without Section 91 of the Constitution which was, by the way, ramrodded through by the great state of New South Wales.

imagine what the world would look like without the vastly more open trading regimes (trading in goods, services and people) that have emerged and continue to develop.

imagine the global strength of industries and companies that refused to enter into emerging trading conditions - they wouldn't be much good, would they?

in any event, Wallabies being selected from players overseas is inevitable.
let's hope the ARU has the wisdom to manage its playing stocks to its own advantage.
i reckon they will stuff it up, but that's another Q.

btw, i would be interested in only two Australians now playing abroad.

T

Train Without a Station

Well he's 22. The bloke who he can't get ahead of at the Rebels only just debuted.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
He's 22. Outrageous that he's leaving. Must have felt he wasn't wanted in gold.
Reckon it really just comes down to the offer. You can't blame him, if so.

I'm sure we would have more players on ARU top-ups if the money was there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Reckon it really just comes down to the offer. You can't blame him, if so.

I'm sure we would have more players on ARU top-ups if the money was there.
This is the nub of it. Promising props (and other players for that matter) will get more money in France than here, it's just how it is. It sucks, but we won't stop these players going while Aus rugby sits in the crapper. We can only hope they come back after 2-3 years hardened and ready for the next step.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
He goes from being 2nd string prop in a bottom team in a competition that doesn't favour tightheads, to a (presumably) richer contract, in Paris and in all competition that values a good prop above all else.

Disappointing for the true believers, but hardly a difficult choice for a young man. Not everyone cares about national selection.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He goes from being 2nd string prop in a bottom team in a competition that doesn't favour tightheads, to a (presumably) richer contract, in Paris and in all competition that values a good prop above all else.

Disappointing for the true believers, but hardly a difficult choice for a young man. Not everyone cares about national selection.
Especially if they think they make some cash, and come back in a couple of years and have a crack.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
True, but he'll do so as a 22y/o in gay Paris with a fatter pay cheque each month.

I'll tell myself it's for the best and he'll come back better after the three years. By then there'll be another next big thing anyway.
Hopefully the "next big thing" will be Tim Metcher. He might find himself getting quite a bit more game time this year.

It's a real shame to loose PAE but it was no doubt going to be difficult to keep all of our props.

Speaking of props, does anyone know what's up with Big Max yet? Even his Twitter account seems to have disappeared.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Especially if they think they make some cash, and come back in a couple of years and have a crack.

Yeah, it seems like he might be going for the best of both worlds. If he comes back older and more experienced two years before the 2019 RWC, he'd probably think he's a strong chance of becoming a Wallaby and making it there.

I guess if you compare it to Kieran Longbottom who toiled away in Super Rugby and then left just as he was a chance of becoming a Wallaby, it seems like a smart move from PAE.

T

Train Without a Station

From that point of view it certainly makes sense. Unless you are a first choice Wallaby squad member you don't make too much money in Australia.

If PAE thinks he is 3 years or more away from being a Wallaby barring extreme injury circumstance he could got make some money, come back and push his case without ever losing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.