• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Technically by playing Super Rugby he still fulfills the requirements to be selected for the Wallabies in 2015 especially because it's a RWC year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
y
Technically by playing Super Rugby he still fulfills the requirements to be selected for the Wallabies in 2015 especially because it's a RWC year.

yes but if they didn't select him on the EOYT when they could have, i find it unlikely he will be in the RWC squad, for Australia at least

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
no not necessarily, but if he isn't considered good enough at this stage, and the selectors have Weekes and ? Sio as THP ahead of him, its is unlikely, that even if he has a breakout season in 2015, they will blood him in the RC or RWC, given he is going OS in 2016. i suspect in the old days when the touring party could carry some more fat, for the midweek fixtures, he might have gone as a useful long term project. for him France is a very good move, like Pyle, but i think he is probably permanently lost to The Rebels/Reds and Australian rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

Fair comments. I just misconstrued your comment as a criticism of his non-selection.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i thought he was an outside chance to tour. personally i would have left alexander and robinson at home. taken holmes, and smith instead, given the injuries to Sio, Cowan and Weekes.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
If the THP injury toll next year is anything like the hooker injury toll of 2014 AND he has a good season for the Rebels there's a chance he could be there. If he's signed for a 3 year deal there's no reason he would return as he'll be eligible for France or it's likely he's already eligible for some PI nation and therefore he'll be lost to Aus rugby as you say. Real pity.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would hope it doesn't count against him. He's as worthy of selection (if we ignore performance) as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horwill, Genia who are also moving on after 2015.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, it seems like he might be going for the best of both worlds. If he comes back older and more experienced two years before the 2019 RWC, he'd probably think he's a strong chance of becoming a Wallaby and making it there.

I guess if you compare it to Kieran Longbottom who toiled away in Super Rugby and then left just as he was a chance of becoming a Wallaby, it seems like a smart move from PAE.

Even more so if he comes back younger!;)

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I would hope it doesn't count against him. He's as worthy of selection (if we ignore performance) as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horwill, Genia who are also moving on after 2015.
The difference might be that they have ARU contracts that extend past Super Rugby season into the test season. If he's not immediately recruited into the RC squad it might be too late.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
PAE's ARU contract will expire at the same time as the others, when players leave after Super Rugby is because the ARU have allowed them to go via release of their contract. If Cheika wants him he'll pick him, see Timani in 2013.

That's all if PAE wants to play for the Wallabies, he might not due to restrictions later on.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That is fantastic.

I think it was Sisa Waqa from the storm who caught the tram to each training session and home game, as does Shota Horie.

Good community vibes.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
PAE's ARU contract will expire at the same time as the others, when players leave after Super Rugby is because the ARU have allowed them to go via release of their contract. If Cheika wants him he'll pick him, see Timani in 2013.

That's all if PAE wants to play for the Wallabies, he might not due to restrictions later on.

Big loss, but you never know what type of Clauses his manager put in his contract. He might have only signed an intention to sign thing like Delve had that he got out of to stay at the Rebels.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xfa1/t31.0-8/10549270_875534955820397_8753506029962007047_o.jpg

New Melbourne Rebels bus.

D

daz

Love the bus. The fact is that in Melbourne, rugby fans already know about the Rebels, whereas most of Melbourne wouldn't really have a clue. To grow the supporter base, we need to get the message out there.

As an aside, while I do love the intimacy of the Rebel family, and selfishly want to keep it that way for myself, I also understand we need more visibility.

I was in Highpoint last weekend and had my Rebels cap on. Walked past a guy with a Rebels polo on. Nodded and smiled to each other, like we were members of some obscure Masonite group. Seriously think we need a secret handshake.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Melbourne loves excitement and winners. Ideally both, but they will go for 2013 vintage over 2014 every time.

Can't see Rebels ever getting insane crowds but they don't need to, just to win over a decent chunk of the rugby fans in a 5m city from the other teams that are followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.