• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
90% sure that I saw Hegarty go back off and Harris come back with 4 or so minutes to go. Could be completely wrong, but I was down that end.

Dene

Frank Nicholson (4)
90% sure that I saw Hegarty go back off and Harris come back with 4 or so minutes to go. Could be completely wrong, but I was down that end.

Yep he came back on, see screen capture:
harris.png

Presumably he'll be right for Saturday. I'd like to see Veainu starting on the wing with English moved to bench for wing/centre cover.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
But the crowd noise sounded more like double that. Excellent acoustics at the bubble as well as a crowd that was clearly up for it.

I know the talented sound engineer that did the acoustics for AAMI park. He said that the bubble shape is so fantastic because it focuses the sound through the crowds. Whereas on the pitch, they've managed to significantly reduce the noise.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I know the talented sound engineer that did the acoustics for AAMI park. He said that the bubble shape is so fantastic because it focuses the sound through the crowds. Whereas on the pitch, they've managed to significantly reduce the noise.

Sounds like a clever bugger. Wasn't Al 'Fuse' Baxter also involved in the stadium's design?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Rebels would have better shape if they played Harris at 10 and Debreczeni at fullback.

Harris is probably a better organiser and can play the percentages better. He looks to be in good form too so far this year.

Hegarty is a good guy to have on the bench that could break a game open late in the piece. His league background makes him good at taking the ball to the line and his short passing game is excellent.

I have this feeling that with this sort of structure, Harris could keep the Rebels well and truly in it and Hegarty could provide the big play to win the game in the final 10-15 minutes.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Debreczeni was tried at fullback at the end of last season and he was dreadful. And while it was his first season, hadn't played in the NRC etc., he was still just really, really, bad. I don't think fullback is an option for him. I think the Rebels like the Stirzaker - Debreczeni combo that worked so well in the NRC, and are thinking they can lock it in now and they're set for at least the medium term.

Mikey Mike at 12 is something they might have a look at. Gives another ball player in close, as well as a voice helping Debreczeni move things around.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Debreczeni was tried at fullback at the end of last season and he was dreadful. And while it was his first season, hadn't played in the NRC etc., he was still just really, really, bad. I don't think fullback is an option for him.

I agree he was dreadful when tried there in Super Rugby last year but I think he's already come a long way since then.

Would be interested seeing it again.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree he was dreadful when tried there in Super Rugby last year but I think he's already come a long way since then.

Would be interested seeing it again.

Definitely not a bad option to have. Is he a better fullback than Crawford or Placid though? Or even Veainu who replaced Placid there for an NRC game and had an absolute blinder.

Still, it's nice to finally have some choices to make, not just settling for the least bad one.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
To be fair to Jack it was his first or second game, in his first season, in a match where the team was being beaten. Pretty much the ideal scenario to have his head rammed up his arse.

He's come a fair way since then.

I still think he's going to grow into the flyhalf role, and I've liked what I've seen of Hegarty at fullback. He's got a surprising turn of pace and step for a rangy bloke.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Debreczini didn't look very comfortable at 10 last week, I thought. He has a big boot, but I think he probably has a way to go before he is consistentlt at Super rugby level. On the other hand, Cam Crawford has played Super rugby on and off for a couple of years, and has a liitle bit of Wallaby experience. I think he would be the best bet for the Rebels at 15, while Mike Harris would be best at 10. But it won't concern me if they are not played in those spots against the Brumbies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
People questioning JDs value need to go back and watch the tape. Sure he isn’t a midfield general yet but the amount of times he created linebreaks for the rebels by running and offloading was obscene for a flyhalf.

There is a much higher ceiling for JD than for Hegarty.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
out of favour with TT. but who knows why ?

So is fit to play??

I know this goes against some peoples thoughts and that is a different debate.

BUT we are light on 2nd rowers in Aus with far to many going overseas. I think it would be very beneficial if he played in a quality club comp - (yeah Shute Shield for Manly ;) ) than the club comp in Vic.

It was only a couple of years ago he was in the Wallaby train on squad - my thoughts have him improving in a quality comp so when called upon he is ready.

Yes i know he's under contract with the Rebels but I'm sure there'd be other Super sides that'd like another quality 2nd rower on their roster - primary point to this post - let's look at the bigger picture and ensure our 2nd rowers are retained in Aus.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What Dave would like is for the Rebels to pay Caderyn Neville a salary to keep him as a full time professional rugby player but then let him play club rugby in Sydney because it will be good for him.

Not that this applies to Neville but a big part of the reason players on the fringe of Super Rugby go overseas is they'd prefer to play rugby full time than work as a labourer or in a pub and play club rugby on Saturdays.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sorry, just so I'm clear on this, the bigger picture is to keep Sydney club rugby strong because that's what's best for Australian rugby?

You don't happen to work for the ARU do you?

You are looking at a different debate, and we can all have different views there - I accept that.

My concern;
  • Is selfishness for the good of Australian Rugby,
  • Player exodus,
  • Aust rugby is short on locks (as some have gone OS).
I accept the point you are looking to raise - dont want to debate it for the greater good.;) Cheers.
No different employment.
in my eye it appears the ARU think they only have big fish to fry.
They seem to forget that small fish become big fish, and
Big fish can even eat small fish if they get hungry.
Should look at the whole food chain as problems can occur if only one area is focussed on.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
What Dave would like is for the Rebels to pay Caderyn Neville a salary to keep him as a full time professional rugby player but then let him play club rugby in Sydney because it will be good for him.

Not that this applies to Neville but a big part of the reason players on the fringe of Super Rugby go overseas is they'd prefer to play rugby full time than work as a labourer or in a pub and play club rugby on Saturdays.

That's not bigger picture at all. Neville is a full-time rugby player who currently isn't good enough to play for the Rebels. He's the classic looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. All the players currently performing well for the Rebels were the absolute cream of the crop in the NRC. Neville was middle of the road there. Packing him off to Sydney because that's currently a higher standard of rugby than Melbourne might help Neville and Manly in the short term, but it comes at the cost of continuing to improve the Melbourne club rugby scene.

Building a functional club rugby scene and developing a consistent production line is the single best way for the Rebels to become sustainable long term. Stripping players from that scene for a potential short term gain for an individual is madness.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Packing him off to Sydney because that's currently a higher standard of rugby than Melbourne might help Neville and Manly in the short term, but it comes at the cost of continuing to improve the Melbourne club rugby scene.

Building a functional club rugby scene and developing a consistent production line is the single best way for the Rebels to become sustainable long term. Stripping players from that scene for a potential short term gain for an individual is madness.

I agree completely.

Sefa Naivalu is holding his own in Super Rugby and is hopefully the tip of the iceberg for Melbourne Club Rugby to start producing professional quality players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is some pretty talented young kids coming through the Schoolboys, and JGC pathways out of Victoria and the West. While the Sydney and Brisbane Premier footy will be seen as the toughest competitions for the foreseeable future, it may not be too long before the West and Vic competitions catch up to and pass the ACT Competition and start nipping at the heels of Sydney and Brisbane Premier footy.

Reactions: Tex
Status
Not open for further replies.