• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Who's gonna be the new boy then? Do we bring in another experienced lad, or pluck someone from obscurity. Tahs, Brumbies and possibly Reds all need new ones as well, so securing good talent domestically will be hard.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Who's gonna be the new boy then? Do we bring in another experienced lad, or pluck someone from obscurity. Tahs, Brumbies and possibly Reds all need new ones as well, so securing good talent domestically will be hard.

Your thrid string halfbacks quite good, so after the ranga his not a bad reserve..

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Yeah Rebels aren't too badly exposed at halfback. Meehan will step up and add some zapp and a fresh faced intern will come in and start running drinks.

Reactions: daz
D

daz

I must admit, I have mixed feelings about Burgo. He was the experienced scrummy we needed to fill the gap from Phipps leaving, and at the start, he proved to be just the tonic we hoped for.

Since then, Nic has really stepped up and while both of them have made some howlers over the last year, Burgo has started to be less and less effective.

It is ironic (with a side serving of tragic) that Phipps went on to win a championship and will most likely be the starting 9 for the Wallabies moving forward.

I agree that a Stirzy/Bip combo should work just fine for us now, but Bip MUST get serious game-time in the NRC to blood him as hard as possible.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not overly concerned with either of the 2 boys, as long as Meehan gets game time in both the Soup & the NRC.

Just wondering if there would be any natural contenders. Obviously Matt Lucas remains out there, somewhere, but with McKibbon, White and potentially Genia off to Europe, it's gonna be difficult, unless some lad playing in the Dewar Shield suddenly emerges.

D

daz

I'm not overly concerned with either of the 2 boys, as long as Meehan gets game time in the Soup

If we get to the halfway point of the year and it is clear that our season is as good as gone, surely we need to do just.

And play around with a few other changes to our combos as well.

The thought of yet anther season of "player development" is as frustrating as hell, though.

While I don't expect us to be winning every game every time we play, at some point we need to start being consistently competitive, even when we lose. An ex-Wallaby mate made the comment to me this week that with the talent in the squad the results are incomprehensible, even against the top teams.

And just as an aside, I have a feeling the boys have dropped their heads far too early in the season. The Reds game will tell us a whole lot more of what the year holds, win or lose.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Ok, so I watched Power House v Footscray

Tom Sexton - Besides Footscrays first try where he completed got his tackle wrong had a pretty solid game.

Tom Kingston - Looks a lot better than a couple of weeks ago, had a few good runs with the ball but still needs a couple of more games to be ready for Super Rugby

Hegarty - Did not play

Cruze - Good game, not a massive standout out but was solid.

Neville - Mad some good meters and looked hungry, looks like he is coming back into some form and should appreciate the run.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Any Commentary so far on the EPP boys? Looks to be primarily composed of Vic Reps over the last handful of years.

2015 Rebels Emerging Player Program Squad:
  • Tom Blake – Rebels & Australian Schoolboys, 2014
  • Billy Gray – Rebels U20s, 2015
  • Ta Hosea – Rebels & Australian Barbarians U20s, 2015
  • Trevor Hosea – Rebels U17 Junior Gold Cup, 2015
  • Ayden Hurst – Rebels U17 Junior Gold Cup, 2014
  • John Sauni – Rebels U17 Junior Gold Cup, 2014
  • Robert Leota – Rebels U18 Boys Rugby Sevens (2015) & Rebels Schoolboys 2014
  • Fereti Sa’aga – Rebels, Barbarians & Australian U20s (2015), Melbourne Rising & Samoa U20s (2014)
  • RJ Sa’aga - Rebels & Australian Barbarians U20s, 2015
  • Ah-mu Tuimaleali’ifano – Rebels U20s 2015, Rebels & Australian Schoolboys 2014
  • Sione Tuipulotu - Rebels, Barbarians & Australian U20s (2015), Rebels & Australian Schoolboys 2014
  • Jordan Uelese - Rebels U17 Junior Gold Cup, 2014
  • Jade Murray - Rebels U20s, 2015
  • Pat Toeta - Rebels & Australian Barbarians U20s, 2015
  • Robert Valetini - Rebels U17 Junior Gold Cup, 2014

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^I think that the Rebels/VRU seem to be doing a great job identifying and developing young talent. What you guys really need is a coach a super level who is going to take the players and the team to the next level. Totality Tony is probably better than who the Force or the Reds have at the moment, but I'm not sure if he's the guy to do that - maybe I'm wrong in there, the rest of the year will show this to an extent anyway.

IMO the Rebels (and the Force for that matter) are the 2 Australian sides who really need a big name foreign coach to move things forward. Not Jake White in particular, but someone of that standing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
These guys could be available:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.