• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I doubt he will go play for fiji he's loyal to Australia and the rebels as they gave him his shot.

I certainly hope you are right, and I suspect you are, but getting a cap in a national team (either Oz or Fiji) would make his asking price in France and/or Japan go through the roof.

Assuming that a grab for cash is the motivating factor, or course.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Neville gooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

St.George Queensland Reds have signed Melbourne Rebels lock Cadeyrn Neville for two years.

The 26-year-old will join the Reds at the conclusion of the 2015 Super Rugby season.

Originally from Manly in Sydney and a former rower with the Australian Institute of Sport, Neville has spent the past four seasons in Melbourne and played more than 40 Super Rugby games for the Rebels.

At 202cm and 123kg, Reds head coach Richard Graham believes the developing Neville will make a suitable replacement for departing Wallabies lock James Horwill.

“I have had my eye on Cadeyrn now for a number of seasons. I first met with him in the middle of 2011 leading into the 2012 Super Rugby season. He was reasonably new into his Rugby career at that stage but had come from an elite rowing program. He had all the physical qualities that I felt we could develop and a genuine desire to be the best he could in his new sport,” Graham said.

“At a touch over two metres tall and 120kg, he is a big man. We’ve seen over the past few seasons that a lot of tight-five forwards have been poached by overseas clubs, however Cadeyrn has aspirations here in Australia and he believes the best environment for him to achieve those is here at the Reds.

“James (Horwill) has been a significant part of the Reds Rugby program since 2006, but at some stage his career here at Ballymore was always going to end. Due to his transparency and willingness to work with the Reds, it provided us with time to go about our recruitment. This has allowed us to search the market and attract a very good replacement in Cadeyrn.

“We have good depth at lock and the inclusion of Cadeyrn will ensure we continue to be strong in that area.”

Neville said he was excited to experience a different team and city in the next stage of his career.

“I’m looking forward to joining a team and forward pack, in particular, with many experienced Wallabies that together with some talented up-and-coming players should be looking to build success going forward. I haven’t lived in Queensland before so the change of lifestyle is also something I’m looking forward to.”

Neville has twice been included in Wallabies squads, in 2012 and 2014, but has yet to make his Test debut.

Cadeyrn Neville

Height: 202cm
Weight: 123kg
DOB: 09/11/1988
POB: Manly, NSW
Super Rugby debut: 2012
Super Rugby caps: 43

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So we won't be seeing much of Neville for the rest of the year if TT does anything similar to Pyle when he announced he was leaving. So we need to look for another lock as I don't think either of our other replacements are up to scratch.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Good for Neville, and the reds, but leaves us a bit short. Think both Jeffries and Cummins are fine for now, but a bench lock would be appreciated. Haven't really got any ideas, but hopefully someone pops up, either in the NRC or overseas.

And we probably still need someone in the 6/8 role to replace Higgers too. Colby hasn't been bad off the bench, but I'd like a 193cm+ forward for the lineout and physical prowess that you can't get with 3 short flankers.

D

daz

I'm conflicted a bit about this. On the one hand, he had (has?) huge potential to be a starting lock for us, but on the other hand, he really regressed last year. For periods in 2014 he just looked completely disinterested in putting in the hard yards. Frustrating considering he was pegged for Wallaby honours in 2013.

I'm with swingpass though; development comes with regular game time, and he wasn't exactly racking up the minutes with the Rebels recently.

Fair call by the newly named Red-dle Neville.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so who should they chase, Timani major comes off contract at the end of the 15/16 NH season, be good to have the bruise brothers in Melbourne.
not sure either Jeffries or Cummins are ready to step up yet.

with regards to replacing Higgers, it would be interesting to see how Jones might go as an 8, although one would assume L Timani would be the next to go there. They could also go for Jordy Reid in the Dwayne Vermulen style of things (although according to Google he is substantially shorter)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Holloway would be someone I would be trying to get.

The Oxford based Not-Nots are being relegated, and they've got ex Brumby McKenzie. don't know much about him apart from he's a 194cm 6/8.

Tala Gray as well from the Tahs. If Curtis Browning is ever fit, wouldn't mind him. Brumbies have a few too, if Enever feels like he deserves better than 4th string, we could grab him.

Don't know Chisholms contract situation, Pyle is at least another year, big Timani is another year, Douglas is another 2 years.

Did I miss many.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Chisholm, 33, captain at Bayonne, doubt he would be that interested, although his wife might want to be near her mum and one of her sisters (the new Mrs Jones) :)

although a Victorian don't think Tala Gray is that interested either in coming home, especially with Palu leaving.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Power House looking for Juniors for those knowing anyone in the West looking for a game.

Membership deal available for Juniors 14/16/18 - Fee waiver and apparel see Junior Facebook or contact Brett Waterford - hurry first 20 in each age group - must be at training Thursday and Play Saturday - Thanks to significant donations from our great sponsors !

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd love to get our hands on Tala Gray, he's a gem. McMahon - Reid - Gray would be a banger of a backrow. Colby on the bench to cover the entire backrow.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry to see Neville go but I can't blame him as he would be very disappointed with the limited game time this year. Lets hope we don't lose other solid players who have been watching from the sidelines!

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
Honestly not that fussed with Neville leaving, looked about as enthusiastic as bald man at a hairdresser. Overrated be good to get a big bopper to partner the mobility of jones and put timani at the back of the scrum

Status
Not open for further replies.