• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I haven't noticed Placid as being super super quick? He's fast, but nothing too special. Naivalu would be pretty comfortably the fastest in the country I'd think.

A couple of the Fijians who are playing in the Dewar Shield seem to be even fast than Sefa. However wasn't Turner clocked as the fastest in Aus and Naivalu chased him down pretty easily.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
A couple of the Fijians who are playing in the Dewar Shield seem to be even fast than Sefa. However wasn't Turner clocked as the fastest in Aus and Naivalu chased him down pretty easily.

Truly? Get them into the Rising then. Give Dutton a call, get that citizenship lined up. No substitute for speed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies winger who came from the sevens but dropped out because he doesn't have an Aus passport, he's meant to be pretty quick isn't he? Never seen him play, but might feature heavily in NRC. Can't think of any other Super Rugby players.

Taliauli. He's fast and can step at or near full pace. But not sure if he could match Naivalu.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There's still plenty of room in the side for NRC players, although signing him now rather than mid to late ITM Cup/NRC does seem odd.

It probably boils down to the fact that a few new playmakers will be needed next season for all around. Tahs losing Lance and Volavola, Reds losing Cooper, us losing Hegarty, then quite a few heading off from across the Tasman as well.

Given that we ran short a playmaker for mine this season, there's still room to either reward someone locally, or to snaffle someone out from under the Reds or Tahs noses.

Don't know anything about him though. Will watch Northlands games a little bit closer now consequently.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
This is fast becoming a joke like the Force and signing South Africans.

I agree to an extent they need to make a few shrewd signings from overseas but it seems like that's all they are focused on at the moment. They need players who can connect to the fan base the Rebels have.

Australian players are out there and coachable.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Stupid call.

Hawkins is the first one you could say that there's probably Australians that could provide the same effect.

What Australian player would provide as much as Ellison on field, off field and willing to leave the Northern States? Ditto for Thompson. Who'd be better for us than Retallick as a 3rd string lock? With Kepu, Alo-Emile, M. Allalatola and potentially R. Smith heading overseas, are there enough quality tightheads to replace them all? Sure, Phil Kite is hanging around but if Smith moves on the Brumbies will have first dibs, and oh, the Tahs have picked up a Kiwi Journeyman to play tighthead too.

Even Hawkins. We've lost Hegarty. Tahs have lost Lance and Volavola. Reds are losing QC (Quade Cooper). Holmes has departed the Force, and Ebersohm will probably do the same. The Brumbies may pick up another playmaker given they spent long periods of this season without To'omua.

Green will probably get a full contract with the Reds to join Paia’aua and McIntire. Maybe Hamish Angus or Sam Lane should have been contracted first, but maybe they didn't want to sign, knowing there's probably a spot for at least one of them at the Tahs to stay at home.

And to be absolutely and utterly blunt, unless they're Victorian, I don't particularly give a crap where players come from as long as they give 110% in the jersey.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
As evidenced previously these players have very limited life spans in Melbourne. I haven't done research on this but I feel Australian players would have longer careers at the Melbourne Franchise than Kiwis (some of who couldn't make it in NZ + other journeymen).

I understand the need to keep/make the franchise competitive but if you don't get your talent identification correct in the first place how are you going to be competitive I would beg to differ regarding your point of who is around at the moment and suggest there are plenty of players around in the Shute Shield/Brisbane Club Rugby as well as Australian's overseas who could be very good players for the Rebels. There are something like seven blokes who were apart of the Rays last season who are contracted overseas now and they weren't even successful (some are doing very well). I dare say that with a full time professional environment you might have players develop rather quickly if you wish to make arguments about what the Rays finished.

I also think you disregard the advantage of having links with players around the country that NZ/SA/Overseas players don't have in terms of bringing players to the club.

Regarding your point about Melbourne players yes I agree I would love to see the Rebels develop Melbourne players and there are 7 or 8 out there currently if I am correct it will be a long and slow process though and hopefully it does improve in coming years.

D

daz

Well said, Highlander. While I am all for bringing Oz talent through the club, ultimately I want to see the club succeed. If that means imports, then bring it on.

And to say we are ignoring Oz talent in favour of imports is a false argument; we have great young Oz talent, but they need mentoring and developing. Are you happy to see the club get the wooden spoon every year until the youngsters develop, because I'm not. Frankly, I want finals; if Retallick, Hagan, et al are the ones to help us get there, then so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Aussie D, how many of those players were 10s? How many 10s that played NRC last year are not contracted?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Having said all this, I don't think we should be signing imports if we don't see them in the best 23.

The 4 we've signed are fairly obvious replacements for Higgenbotham, Neville, Alo-Emile and Hegarty, all of whom were best 23 players, and the other major departure (Burgess), we're looking to promote from within with Meehan.

I'd be ok with another one, maybe, but we've got ~5 spots left. I'd prefer us to give 2 or 3 Vic boys an opportunity (Say, Sa'aga, Tuipolotu and maybe a backrower or a scrum half) and then grab a player or 2 from the Sydney or Brisbane clubs or maybe even the 7s program that gets overlooked by the locals.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Aussie D, how many of those players were 10s? How many 10s that played NRC last year are not contracted?

I am not entirely sure but I know Sam Windsor from NSW Country is with Ulster and has had a stint at Leinster in the past. The Rays had Hamish Angus and Scott Daruda the Rams had Volavola and Ayoub.

I can understand the point about the starting 10 and as said previously understand the need for the squad to be competitive but at this point all this looks like is poor progression and planning and the easiest option is to just sign a whole heap of journeymen who can't even play for the country or in some cases the local franchise.

I am a massive believer in sustainable culture and all this looks like to me is a coach trying to live from year to year. Let's remember McGahan has had two years in the job now.

T

Train Without a Station

An ITM Cup 10 is likely closer to being Super Rugby ready than an average NRC 10 though. If I guy isn't fully cemented as a starting NRC player surely he's not ready for Super Rugby.

I've disregarded the Rising, Spirit and the City because their 10's are contracted and looked at the remaining team lists:

Stars - Dunbar / Dunbar / Dunbar / Dunbar / Dunbar / Roberts / Roberts / Roberts
Vikings - Thompson / Thompson / Lealiifano / Thompson / Thompson / Coleman / Coleman / Coleman
Eagles - Windsor / Windsor / Windsor / Windsor / Windsor / Windsor / Windsor / Windsor
Rams - Ayoub / Volavola / Volavola / Volavola / Volavola / Volavola / Volavola / Volavola
Rays - Angus / Angus / Angus / Angus / Daruda / Daruda / Daruda / Angus
QC (Quade Cooper) - Brandon / Brandon / Brandon / Brandon / Brandon / Brandon / Brandon / Brandon

So there's Dunbar. He played in a poor team and was not at all a stand out. When Angus Roberts was available he was used. Considered Roberts' contract was never renewed by the Rebels, I doubt Dunbar is up to Super Rugby level.

Then there's Thompson at the Vikings. Coleman who has never played Super Rugby at 10 was preferred over him so I doubt he's a good option.

Sam Windsor nailed a spot at the Eagles. And now he's contracted.

Ayoub played the first game for the Rams, but then was replaced by Volavola. Volavola struggled for bench time in a successful Tahs outfit and has left and been contracted.

Angus seemed to only play for the Rays until Daruda was available. Daruda is a bit of a journeyman who has struggled to nail down positions at the higher level so it's hard to see that Angus is a better option.

That leaves Brandon from Country. He played every game. I think I only saw one game of his and wasn't overly impressed.

The fact is the best 10 options from the NRC are all contracted.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
I haven't noticed Placid as being super super quick? He's fast, but nothing too special. Naivalu would be pretty comfortably the fastest in the country I'd think.

And that's exciting that he's learned how to pass. I spent quite a bit of the last NRC criticising him for that - especially in the semi against Perth.

For his flaws I think he needs to be brought into the fold more this coming season. We had enough pill, and enough of it on the front foot, last season to do a lot more damage than we did. I'm not saying he's the solution, but he's part of it.

Super Sefa ran a 10.5 second hundred at schoolboy level, for comparison Jack Hale runs a 10.42. I'd say he is the quickest, also should his nickname be changed Flash from Super Sefa?

Status
Not open for further replies.