• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
TWAS - Pat Leafa played for Vikings in the John I Dent Cup in 2012........... won the MacDougalll Medal for player of the year.

Dewar Shield would be a step down from the JID**, which itself is a step down from the Shute Shield.

** Except for the basket case that is Easts..........

T

Train Without a Station

Seems like a pretty jumbled quote from Pat taken completely out of context and without any consideration for variables.

If I'd played only Endeavour Hills and Powerhouse for example, then played Manly and Eastwood, I'd think the Shute Shield was a pretty big step up too.

If I'd played only Penrith then played against Box Hill, I may have a different view.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Ahem. Careful fella, them's fightin' words.

;)

Reel him in, niceeeee and slow
YWqU3E8.jpg

Reactions: daz
T

Train Without a Station

Dewar Shield would be a step down from the JID**, which itself is a step down from the Shute Shield.

Not at all disagreeing. More so disagreeing with the sentiment that the Dewar Shield is like Sydney Subbies or 3rd Grade.

For what it's worth I think you'll find that step down between JID and DS is not what it was even 4 years ago either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Indeed, the quality in the Dewar Shield and the Perth comp has picked up recently............

Although I would suggest that the JID has also improved since Jake White reintroduced the Brumbies, as a lot of the best Canberra club players were being poached by Shute Shield clubs and now have an incentive to stick around.

It's all great for Australian rugby, but it's all (Shute Shield included) still a massive step down from Super Rugby.

Anyways, I'm just ranting.............. ;)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it fair to assume I'm going for B, but without the hate.

Besides, I can't afford to buy auction jersey's from 2 fucking players!

:D
Ha, let's be real though. He is. Big body, probably not quick enough to make it to the absolute top. Decent step, gets over the advantage line. And if he can kick then that means Placid can come in for Mikey Mike.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's all great for Australian rugby, but it's all (Shute Shield included) still a massive step down from Super Rugby.

Anyways, I'm just ranting...... ;)

And it's assumed that the NRC should be the link between Super Rugby and those levels, at least that's the idea

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Seems like a pretty jumbled quote from Pat taken completely out of context and without any consideration for variables.

If I'd played only Endeavour Hills and Powerhouse for example, then played Manly and Eastwood, I'd think the Shute Shield was a pretty big step up too.

If I'd played only Penrith then played against Box Hill, I may have a different view.

I think the players would have the best idea and there seems to be no evidence of players supporting the Dewar Shield as anything near a Shute Shield standard competition?

Why do you think they have all raced back to play in the Shute Shield?

Kingston, Neville, Gillespie

This is like comparing the VFL to the Sydney AFL it's not comparable.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think the players would have the best idea and there seems to be no evidence of players supporting the Dewar Shield as anything near a Shute Shield standard competition?

This is like comparing the VFL to the Sydney AFL it's not comparable.

We can see this, and don't choose to debate it^^^^.
Rugby is much the same but vica versa

Yes interesting reference between the gap between Super 15 & Super rugby.
I'm not sure if it is that big when you look at the Southern Districts v Sydney Uni game on the weekend. Uni had quite a few Super players playing and lost.

I wonder how an as is Dewar Shield club would fair in the Shute comp for a whole season. I reference club, not team because a club provides the building blocks and the depth. Now i know this is an unfair comparison because rugby is raw down in VIC and is not the dominant sport, and rugby down there is working hard to grow so we can only commend and support.

But - i still see benefit in players playing up in the Shute and lets agree to disagree on this, because there are valid points each way.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, because they're from Sydney and have an affinity with their clubs and most of their friends and family lived in Sydney.

When in Melbourne I came back and played in games of Gold Coast subbies. It wasn't because it was better rugby.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
A number of players who have played both have suggested the Dewar is like 3rd Grade Shute Shield, I cant pass judgement, can you - have you played in both?

I've refereed both Dewar Shield and 2nd grade in Sydney. They are about on par, the good teams in both comps would have good contests. The main difference between the two comps is the sytle of play. In Melbourne it seems ingrained that the forwards should get the ball about 50% of the time, whereas in Sydney it's a lot more lateral and the ball gets spread quicker.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
In Sydney some players get signed to Super Rugby teams from second grade. Andrew Kellaway played 2nd grade last year and Lukhan Tui (just signed with Reds) played 2nd grade this year. Just saying...

T

Train Without a Station

Yes. Colts age players.

How many get signed without being involved in Age Group Rep Programs?

How many players over 21 that have not played 1st grade are signed out of 2nd grade?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Very few. Previously most that were so inclined as to pursue a professional career went North, either when they were still in school or after leaving it to play in the more visible Rugby areas. Ioane. Gray. Ulugia. Siliva. Lilo. Etc.

This season will be the first time blokes aged 13-16 had a proper professional team to aspire to locally have gotten into the top age colts area. Consequently, you'll see a little bit of discussion about the 2 Vics in the Aus U20s squad this year, Sione Tuipolotu and Fereti Sa'aga, potentially being given EPS contracts for Season 2016 depending on their NRC performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.