• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The way I understand it, it's possible to lose your eligibility. You've spent the last 3 years in Aus in 2014 then in 2015 you haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

daz

Placid re-signed. I'll take that. Good news.

Our retention of young developing players is pretty good. Tony must be a good coach to play under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Leo Crowley comes in to assistant coach. TBH I've never heard of him.

The RaboDirect Melbourne Rebels have signed highly-rated New Zealander Leo Crowley, currently with Canada ahead of the 2015 Rugby World Cup, as Assistant Coach until the end of the 2017 Super Rugby season.
Crowley brings a wealth of experience to the role, having worked with three Super Rugby franchises in New Zealand at some point in time, and won the 2014 ITM Cup as Assistant Coach of Taranaki; the first time since 1980 (Manawatu) that a team from outside New Zealand’s five Super Rugby base cities has won the competition.
“I resigned from Taranaki this year to take on the role with Canada through to the Rugby World Cup, and then the Rebels came and knocked on my door,” Crowley explained. “After speaking with Tony McGahan and hearing where the team was heading, it was clearly too good an opportunity to turn down.”
Crowley also played a crucial role as Taranaki won the Ranfurly Shield and defended it seven times between 2011 and 2012. He has an excellent reputation within the New Zealand Rugby scene, with his strengths lying within backline and attack coaching, and in recent seasons he has played a key role in the continued development of exciting young Kiwi talent such as Waisake Naholo, Marty McKenzie and Charlie Ngatai.
Well regarded for favouring an innovative approach to back play, sure to excite Rebels fans ahead of the 2016 season, Crowley is excited about the players he will be working with.
“There’s definitely an exciting mix in the backline; there’s plenty of talented young players and then guys like Tamati Ellison who have been around and have a lot to offer,” he said. “It’s an exciting group with an attacking attitude, and I am looking forward to adding my print to it as well.
“My philosophy as a coach is that team rewards are greater than individual awards, and if a team gathers momentum individuals will get recognised with higher honours.”
Rebels’ Head Coach Tony McGahan said Crowley’s experience and expertise would be a valuable addition to the Club’s Rugby program.
“Leo has enjoyed success across many different coaching environments, which has allowed him to become a highly regarded and experienced coach in New Zealand,” McGahan said. “To bring somebody with Leo’s coaching experiences and ambition into the Rebels allows us to continue improving across our Rugby program and provide opportunity and points of difference in our staff and playing group.”
Crowley’s relationship with his current and previous Head Coaches sets the tone for a strong working relationship with McGahan; his brother Kieran, a former All Black fullback, is the current Head Coach of Canada, while at Taranaki he has worked alongside Colin Cooper for the past five seasons.
Cooper is one of New Zealand’s most credentialed coaches, having been at the helm of Taranaki for eight seasons during two spells, as well as leading the Hurricanes for eight years and the Maori All Blacks for their last two campaigns.
“I’m probably Colin’s biggest fan with what he has done for me, bringing me through and helping me develop as a coach, and he’s probably the one who has assisted me the most to secure this great opportunity now,” Crowley explained, before elaborating on Taranaki’s wonderful 2014 campaign.
“I think in a lot of ways success at Taranaki came from past pain; a couple of years where things didn’t go as well as we’d like, and we made the decisions to adapt and change our playing style to secure success. The main thing was to get the group right; we had some experience, and some flair, and the way we approached the game last year caught everybody on the hop and we were able to get some success in the end which was well deserved for Taranaki as a province.”
Crowley is currently in Canada in his capacity as Assistant Coach of the Canucks, with their Rugby World Cup campaign set to begin against Ireland at Wales’ Millennium Stadium in just over a month’s time.
Gareth Rees, Rugby Canada’s General Manager, said “Rugby Canada is delighted that their attack coach Leo Crowley will be joining the Melbourne Rebels after his involvement in Canada's 2015 Rugby World Cup Campaign.
“Leo is an important part of our RWC coaching team and I know his work ethic and innovative methods will be an asset for the Rebels coaching set up.”
Crowley will move to Melbourne to assume his role with the Rebels at the conclusion of the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
“Melbourne is a beautiful city and it is the sports mecca from a New Zealand perspective; and I am looking forward to embracing the culture and everything that goes with it,” he said.
“Once my son Jared (24) and my daughter Ashleigh (21) gave me permission to go, as they’re my biggest supporters, I was all good to commit; in general, my family and friends have been wonderful in their support, and I’m very grateful for that and looking forward to the opportunity.”

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
further very good news for the Rebels, strong off field additions as well as retention and new signings augur well for the franchise's future.

stark contrast to our cousins north of the tweed

D

daz

I'm not familiar with Leo myself. Any of our Kiwi friends have the inside scoop?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sounds like the sorta bloke the Force should be looking for. "Innovative back play", excellent.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Plenty of current and former Rebels on the fringes of camp Wallaby are getting game time this weekend for the world XV.

CMVgSG2UEAAh_85.jpg

L-R: O'Connor, Shipperley, Thompson, McMahon, Burgess, Harris and Jones.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Tex Shota Horie and Male Sau have been named in the Japan team to play the World XV. I think Keita Inagaki is injured.

Speaking of Inagaki he must be staying with Rebels because he is still on profile pages and the below quote was in article on Rebels website re this match earlier in the week
"The Japanese team could feature Keita Inagaki and former Rebels Shota Horie and Male Sau."

Reactions: Tex

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So, the membership packages are out. The prices look pretty similar to last year.

Note: We do not get to reserve our same seat for the test match.

From the FAQ

If I buy Qantas Wallabies Test match tickets, will I get the same seats as my Melbourne Rebels membership?
No, you will not be allocated the same seat that you hold as a Melbourne Rebels member, as the ARU must facilitate seating for a range of groups such as sponsors, hospitality, Wallaby 1st members and other contractual ticketing requirements. Although you will not have the same seat, you will be seated with other Melbourne Rebels members. We are unable to facilitate seat requests (other than disabled requirements), seats will be allocated on a first in first served basis.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So, the membership packages are out. The prices look pretty similar to last year.

Note: We do not get to reserve our same seat for the test match.

From the FAQ

Not surprised by the allocated seating for the Test Match. Was the same for the Lions test.

I'm just planning to let my auto-renew kick in and retain my seat for 2016. Should probably check the Salesforce portal to make sure that all works...

D

daz

Not surprised by the allocated seating for the Test Match. Was the same for the Lions test.

I'm just planning to let my auto-renew kick in and retain my seat for 2016. Should probably check the Salesforce portal to make sure that all works.

Not really. As a platinum member, I had my regular seat for the Lions match and added it up front to my Rebels membership. I didn't have to worry about seat allocation.

Maybe it's different for you lower class lads!

:p

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Not really. As a platinum member, I had my regular seat for the Lions match and added it up front to my Rebels membership. I didn't have to worry about seat allocation.

Maybe it's different for you lower class lads!

:p

Actually, now I think about it - back then I was only a Blue member, so I did not have an allocated seat. Only upgraded to Gold this year. For the Lions match they stuck me down the south end next to the Rebel Army.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
How do I find out these details? The deduction has been swiftly taken from my account so it looks like I'm a member for 2016!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
How do I find out these details? The deduction has been swiftly taken from my account so it looks like I'm a member for 2016!

I'd assume the same thing Tex, but I dropped them an e-mail to check. They confirmed that I was already set up for auto-renewal. For piece of mind you might as well e-mail them - only took a day to reply (not bad).

Also found a bug in their user profile page (cannot add twitter handle). Shitty Salesforce...

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Will do. I bought the old man a membership last year - not sure if it's coming out of my account by auto again either

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So Rabodirect have cease their partnership with the Melbourne Rebels. Explains why Direct Connect are sponsoring the Rising.

So, we're looking for a major sponsor. Suggestions?

Kudos to Rabodiect for letting the fans know early.

d828e8159a5e61b80de656da8baa6940.jpg

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Thought they had a long contract in place? New owners wanted a new approach?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.