• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Besides the shoulder injury, in 2014 I thought both Higgers and Pyle were stifled by TT's demands for a tighter game plan. Didn't really suit their style.
Totally agree. You could say that about quite a few of the players who have now moved on as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lopeti for a big 2016. Has anyone seen that Nathan Hughes I think who is going to be eligible for England shortly? wow. Charity boxing match between him and L.T

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Melbourne Rebels team for trial v Blues:

Starting line up:
1. Toby Smith, 2. James Hanson, 3. Laurie Weeks, 4. Steve Cummins, 5. Luke Jones, 6. Jordy Reid, 7. Sione Taufa, 8. Ta Hosea, 9. Ben Meehan, 10. Jack Debreczeni, 11. Tom English, 12. Mike Harris, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Dom Shipperley, 15. Reece Hodge

Reserves:
16. Jordon Uelese, 17. Cruze Ah Nau, 18. Ryan Cocker, 19. Murray Douglas, 20. Pom Simona, 21. Angus Fowler, 22. Dan Hawkins, 23. Paul Asquith, 24. Tom Moloney

The Melbourne Rebels kick off the 2016 season with their first trial match against the Blues in Auckland on Thursday 4 February.

Rebels Head Coach Tony McGahan has named 11 uncapped players for the team’s first competitive fixture of 2016.

The 24-player team includes a combination of Rebels, extended squad players, Under-20’s and local Melbourne players.

“We want to test our extended squad members in a competitive environment, so this trial against the Blues will give these players a chance to put into practice our last eight weeks of pre-season training,” McGahan said.

“These players have all earned their opportunity through hard work during pre-season so I want them to back themselves and their decision making under pressure in a game situation.”

New recruits James Hanson and Reece Hodge, along with Melbourne Rising player Sione Taufa and Under-20’s member Ta Hosea, will pull on a Rebels jersey for the first time after being named in the starting line-up.

The Rebels team for the first trial will feature 12 players returning from last season and 603 Super Rugby games of experience, led by foundation team members Laurie Weeks and Luke Jones.

The backs will feature some familiar faces with Jack Debreczeni, Tom English, Mike Harris, Mitch Inman and Dom Shipperley, who were all in the starting line-up in the Rebels 42-22 victory over the Blues the last time these two sides met at AAMI Park in 2015.

“At this stage of pre-season there’s bound to be a few bumps and bruises in our squad,” McGahan said. “We’re not prepared to take risk any with three weeks until the start of the season but we expect to have a near full strength team available for our trial against Samoa.”

The Melbourne Rebels travel to Auckland on Wednesday ahead of the trial match against the Blues at Pakuranga Rugby Club on Thursday from 3.30pm (AEDT).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
clearly quite a few players beaten up in the pre season, hopefully no significant injuries.
neither siliva nor leafa going, no hagan, no snowden, in fact where the F are the bulk of the remaining squad.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ellison and Thomson have only been with the team 2 weeks after a season in Japan. As for the rest I don't know.

Siliva, Leafa, Metcher, Hagan, Timani, Jeffries, Retallick, Fainga'a, Fuglistaller, McMahon, Fox, Leota, Stirzaker, Snowden, Tuipulotu, Naivalu, Crawford and Placid all missing.

Can see the justification for playing Fowler and Uelese. At a guess, both would be "unofficially annointed" the 4th choice in their respective positions of scrummie and hooker, so some gametime with the main squad will be valuable. The same could be said about Moloney and the loosehead spot, with the main squad having 4 tightheads and 2 looseheads in terms of preferred side.

Which leaves Ta Hosea, Sione Taufa, Pom Simona and Murray Douglas. Ta is into his 3rd year of Under 20s, and this might be making up for non-selection in the rising, if we have faith in him getting up to the required standard. As I've commented earlier, there's good pedigree behind Murray Douglas, so with 4 of our 5 locks OOC, blooding a potential option for next year may not be a bad thing. As for the other two, well, if there are injuries or worrys about picking up niggles, picking 2 Rising stalwarts of the past 2 seasons isn't the worst idea in the world.

It's all rationalization of somewhat weird selections, so don't take what I've said on face value.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so we know that Stirzaker and Placid and surgery over the break

Tuipulotu is in a kne brace, Leota was in a sling last picture i saw, Fuglistaller was also having surgery i think. Metcher still recovering from his bad hammy i presume. Timani wasn't training on the open day either
mcmahon must be perpetually sore

i agree will all your rationalisations

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Also, the photos that Mr Wobbly took of last weeks open training session showed Pat Leafa in a CAM boot.

T

TOCC

There were also photos of Jonah Placid in a knee brace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like we'll be huddling around a Twitter feed for updates. No stream or FoxSports feed of the match. not really that surprised by that.

Follow @BluesRugby for updates. sure the @MelbourneRebels feed will be pumping too.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^^Checked the Kiwi Tv guide and not being shown either. Rugby Channel looked good though, how can we get Fox to do that for us.

So no chance of finding a stream unless the Blues do one.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Plays for the Quins, about 194cm tall (don't know what that is in old money), primarily an eight, has played blindside and lock as well. Played U20s in 14 and 15, making the Barbarians last season, and has this year to go as well. Was in the the Elite Development squad last year too.

Think I've seen him play once or twice, but mostly focused on the Box Hill boys, so can't say much from that perspective.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The Blues are not that strong, all talk in pre-season as always. But they did finish 14th last season?
They've got an actual coach this time though. It's mainly the bench I'm worried about. They're not going to be good enough to maintain a tight gameplan, and the Blues have always been able to cut loose against anyone who lets the game break down.

Anyway! It's just a trial game, and hopefully I'm completely wrong. Be good to see how some of the young guys and reserves go.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Plays for the Quins, about 194cm tall (don't know what that is in old money), primarily an eight, has played blindside and lock as well. Played U20s in 14 and 15, making the Barbarians last season, and has this year to go as well. Was in the the Elite Development squad last year too.

Think I've seen him play once or twice, but mostly focused on the Box Hill boys, so can't say much from that perspective.
That's a good size.

Hopefully he can play. Interesting that he didn't make the Rising but they're giving him a crack now.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Looks like we'll be huddling around a Twitter feed for updates. No stream or FoxSports feed of the match. not really that surprised by that.

Follow @BluesRugby for updates. sure the @MelbourneRebels feed will be pumping too.

It's a shame Bar TV Sports aren't covering it. Loved their coverage of the Force v Hurricanes trial game tonight. Maybe in NZ they have Baa TV Sports?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
It's a shame Bar TV Sports aren't covering it. Loved their coverage of the Force v Hurricanes trial game tonight. Maybe in NZ they have Baa TV Sports?

I was thinking BroTV, but that's too easy.

Think this might be a job for the Gunston Broadcasting Corporation. Wonder if Mr D. Pillock can reach out to them...

Status
Not open for further replies.