• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The article quotes that Matsushima is "on a short term contract." So seems he has been signed as injury cover.

Dumbledore other backs on our list are:
Paul Asquith (Centre)
Reece Hodge (Utility Back)
Sione Tuipulotu (Centre) (Injured)
Yeah I was more thinking about the outside backs. Hodge and Tuipolotu both look like 12s to me.

The key is going to be getting the best players onto the park. Crawford needs to see way more time than he did last year. Want to see Placid start getting some serious minutes as well.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Who's the backup for Jack D at 10 in the Rebels? Would it be Harris?
Harris probably. Depends how confident they are in Hawkins. If they voluntarily let Hegarty leave it was a bad move. He's still young, experienced, not made of glass, and at the very least a competent proven commodity. They're all very good things to have in a backup flyhalf.

There's been a lot of talent slip through the Rebel's fingers.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
. If they voluntarily let Hegarty leave it was a bad move.

i was very disappointed the Rebels were unable to hold on to Hegarty, he was consistently one of their better players when he was given a go.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Harris probably. Depends how confident they are in Hawkins. If they voluntarily let Hegarty leave it was a bad move. He's still young, experienced, not made of glass, and at the very least a competent proven commodity. They're all very good things to have in a backup flyhalf.

I thought Hegarty was promising too, but then Jack D came along and seemed to usurp him in the 10 role so perhaps he felt he was being pushed out the door. He seemed to me to have some good qualities and just needed more experience. I hope for his sake that he gets that at the Tahs and doesn't end up like Jono Lance did as just a training squad member.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
i was very disappointed the Rebels were unable to hold on to Hegarty, he was consistently one of their better players when he was given a go.
It's a funny one. We really didn't win much with him, but is that on him or the players/tactics around him?

Seemed to me that when he was allowed to cut loose and chase a game then things suddenly got rolling. I posted over on the Tahs thread that I think he'll go a lot better there than he did with the Rebels.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well we didn't win much without him either !

but he rarely missed a tackle, did the basics well, had a good pass and a very good step, pop gun boot his only real weakness. personally i thought he would have made a very good inside centre. i wish him all the best at the Tahs and i also think he will fit in well with their attacking structures.

i suspect he didn't fit the TT mould of "giant" backs winning the collisions.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still don't think he was unwanted? He left to go to Japan rather than sign somewhere local. That's a money grab.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
personally i thought he would have made a very good inside centre..

I always thought Full back would be his best position, remember the first time i watched him in a game of club rugby I was amazed by his speed and footwork (3 Trys, 2 Assists). Think he needs the extra room, compared to a over hyped Kingston in club rugby who really did not make a difference to the side or game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He always looked like a fullback, he was just thrust into Fly half because we had Beale, O'Connor and Gus all injured or otherwise unavailable in 2013, and when Jimmy Hilgendorf came back into the squad, he played like he'd spent 10 months out of the professional set up.

When Ellison was injured, TT should have bit the bullet, shifted Inman across, brought Mikey into the centers and played Hegarty at fullback, but he kept persisting with Shippers and Sefa there.

Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The article quotes that Matsushima is "on a short term contract." So seems he has been signed as injury cover.

Dumbledore other backs on our list are:
Paul Asquith (Centre)
Reece Hodge (Utility Back)
Sione Tuipulotu (Centre) (Injured)

IIRC Asquith also played 15 for the NRC Barbarians in NZ.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Who's the backup for Jack D at 10 in the Rebels? Would it be Harris?

Hodge had a very good year at 2nd 5 last year.
Im told he's just as strong at 1st 5.

He was ahead of a number of others in Aus 20s but was crueled by an ankle injury. Only footage i saw of the game was the Rene Ranger promo - and showed some good highlights of Hodge.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
After the first U20 game in 2013 where I thought Jake McIntyre was diabolical, pretty sure Hodge was the starting 10. He did pretty well in that tournament IMO.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So club player assignments have been done for this year.

From what I saw on the BH Insta feed we had four assigned: Jamie Hagan, Man Bun Meehan, Pat and SupaSefa. For those who have been missing a bit of Sefa action it appears to be him kneeling in front of Jamie Hagan.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So Hagan in for big Dike? Decent swap. At least when Hagan doesn't play it'll likely be through selection rather than injury.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Since Gill is on the great escape from Richard Graham, I would keep my friends close and my opensides closer...

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
With Poey potentially taking a 1-year break and Gill signing with Toulon, the Aussie flanker stocks are looking a little thin. We also have a envious list of Flankers on our list. Two things this creates:
  • Opportunities for our boys to push for higher honors
  • Opportunities for others Clubs (Brumbies and Reds) to make offers that our players can't refuse.
I'm worried about Colby and Fugs potentially flying the coop. I think their contracts run out at the end of the year. In his ideal position (6/8) I'm also fearful for Jones.
I'm also fearful for the Wobs losing Poey for 12 months, but it woulds seem he would be back for the 2019 World Cup. Gill is probably one of the unluckiest men of his era; trapped behind two stars, and usurped in the pecking order by another (McMahon). Both of them I don't begrudge for wanting to better themselves, both mentally and financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.