• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What is the current status of Marika Koroibete's novel? Also, Are the Rebels going to play in Carlton’s Ikon Park in the coming weeks?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/137b16a4ad04be25f86fa409167ec79c

The Herald Sun understands Koroibete’s manager Sam Ayoub flew to Melbourne on Thursday to meet with Rebels majority owner Andrew Cox and football manager Baden Stephenson.

With Australian Rugby Union backing the bid, the Rebels are keen to entice the out-of-contract Fijian to switch to rugby union.

The poaching attempt has raised eyebrows at Storm, with the NRL club believed to be surprised by the move from its cross-city neighbour.

Adding to the intrigue, the two clubs will soon be AAMI Park cotenants with the Rebels set to move from Carlton’s Ikon Park in the coming weeks.

It is understood Storm will now escalate its efforts to keep him in purple beyond the end of this year.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
according to the Rugby360, Koroibete and Sefa are mates, from the same village ? the implication was, that he approached the Rebels, not the other way round. he would be a super addition.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
What is the current status of Marika Koroibete's novel? Also, Are the Rebels going to play in Carlton’s Ikon Park in the coming weeks?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/137b16a4ad04be25f86fa409167ec79c

The Herald Sun understands Koroibete’s manager Sam Ayoub flew to Melbourne on Thursday to meet with Rebels majority owner Andrew Cox and football manager Baden Stephenson.

With Australian Rugby Union backing the bid, the Rebels are keen to entice the out-of-contract Fijian to switch to rugby union.

The poaching attempt has raised eyebrows at Storm, with the NRL club believed to be surprised by the move from its cross-city neighbour.

Adding to the intrigue, the two clubs will soon be AAMI Park cotenants with the Rebels set to move from Carlton’s Ikon Park in the coming weeks.

It is understood Storm will now escalate its efforts to keep him in purple beyond the end of this year.

The Rebels moved into AAMI Park this week.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Injury report still has them a few weeks away.
That's what they want you to think. Sefa was "Indefinite" the week before his return. That said, I don't see English and Harris making the trip to Auckland (unless they are after supplies of L&P and Chocolate Fush)...

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's a cracking read. A huge, roller coaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot gypsies thrown in.
I thought the ending was a bit "Hollywood" though. Seemed a bit far-fetched he would get with the ex KGB spy after she nearly had him shot.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a cracking read. A huge, roller coaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot gypsies thrown in.

Nice Blackadder III reference, Sir.

I thought the ending was a bit "Hollywood" though. Seemed a bit far-fetched he would get with the ex KGB spy after she nearly had him shot.

Bastard! Where's the freakin' spoiler alert? Some of us are only up to Ch 357, y'know!

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Pretty sure I read in the Australian that cox said that they were at final stages with a major sponsor which would hopefully be announced at the end of the month. See how it pans out but I'm the same article coz also said the rebels would not post a financial loss at the end of this year for the first time.
It's the end of the month now, and I reckon we only have three more home games, so I was wondering if there was any major sponsorship announcement after all, or maybe nothing came of it?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
With Lopeti out for a while and Cummins still yet to return to Dewar Shield, I think it's crucial we start to look for a lock on a short-term contract. Jeffries & Retallick haven't played many minutes of Super Rugby this year either.

I know Mark Chisholm (Munster) was seriously looked at last year, as was Ben Hand. Add to that list Peter Kimlin, with Hand at Grenoble, and you have three experienced, (possibly) match fit Aussie locks whose Clubs aren't involved in the running for any silverware, and it might be worth an investment?

Alternatives would be:
  • Dewar Shield - Gus Hamilton or Murray Douglas (Harlequin/Melbourne Rising)
  • Shute Shield - BJ Edwards or Will Munro? I dont know this competition brilliantly but both have NRC experience
Good article on Munro here.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Chisholm would be my pick of the 3 on a short term deal. Kimlin's a little undersized, and more suited to a blindside, while Hand hasn't really ever hit the heights of the other two.

Murray Douglas would have to be the one in the running for the local boy position, Gus didn't make the Rising squad last year, while Murray has the captaincy of the Scottish Club XV, an Edinburgh cap, and came off the bench against the Bloos in Preseason.

While would agree with you on fuck all knowledge of the Shute boys, bar Munro at least has been spoken of as young, so would we be comfortable chucking him in the deep end?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Gus opted out of NRC last year as opposed to not selected, but yes I agree that Murray is a better option. They both work fulltime, so may not be interested in being a depth lock for a month or two getting smashed at training, and it may not actually solve the problem of Retallick/Cummins/Jeffries being short on match fitness.

The preference is for 1 of the overseas 3 I mentioned (or an alternative), but the reality is none of them may be available.

Don't know where Phil Potgieter is these days, but he's a handy player too http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NRC/nrcplayerprofile.aspx?pid=372

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fair enough, didn't know Gus had opted out. Did get a lot less gametime than perhaps envisaged in 2014, but Murray played all but 2 or 3 games last year, so his loss was someone elses gain.

Ideal world is that the 3 who're fit stay fit till Cummins is at the very least, and preferably for the rest of the Season.

What would help with recruitment, in state, out of state or even overseas is that we do need another boy for next year with Jones off.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Chisholm would be my pick of the 3 on a short term deal. Kimlin's a little undersized, and more suited to a blindside, while Hand hasn't really ever hit the heights of the other two.

Kimlin undersized? Wikipedia has him at 1.98m and 114kg, cf Luke Jones at 1.96m and 111kg. He also plays a lot harder than his size - as the B&I Lions forwards would affirm after being dominated by him when they played the Brumbies last time out here.

He'd be my pick over either of Chisholm and Hand based on many years by them all with the Brumbies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Undersized is not quite what I meant to say. Despite his size, much like Scott Fardy, the best Rugby I've seen Kimlin play is at Blindside (a couple of games at 8 top), in contrast to other players like Jones and Mumm, who at similar sizes, play their best rugby at lock.

Rob Harley v Tim Swinson is the same thing at Glasgow, Harley is taller and around the same weight, but one plays better at blindside, one at lock, size hasn't got anything to do with it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
OK - thanks for the clarification. PK has certainly played a lot of games at lock, but like you, I think his best has been at 8.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
OK - thanks for the clarification. PK has certainly played a lot of games at lock, but like you, I think his best has been at 8.
Don't get me wrong, Peter Kimlin is an excellent player, and would crack our 23 no problems even if we were fully fit, just given we'd want a lock, I'd prefer the genuine lock in Chisholm to the 4/6/8 that Kimlin provides.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Gus opted out of NRC last year as opposed to not selected, but yes I agree that Murray is a better option. They both work fulltime, so may not be interested in being a depth lock for a month or two getting smashed at training, and it may not actually solve the problem of Retallick/Cummins/Jeffries being short on match fitness.

The preference is for 1 of the overseas 3 I mentioned (or an alternative), but the reality is none of them may be available.

Don't know where Phil Potgieter is these days, but he's a handy player too http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NRC/nrcplayerprofile.aspx?pid=372

i thought 'Gus Hamilton was still finishing off his Masters of Architecture? Thought he had two years to go, at least. There you go. I don't envy the amount of study he had to do.

He used to train at my Gym, at the time he was playing NRC. He said once he didn't think he had the height for a professional career at 4/5, and would probably stick with the Architecture thing. Looks like he's made up him mind - and good on him too. Nice guy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.