• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Ella writes a good article, but there are so many threads to it. I agree with him about the need to invest in grassroots to build a solid platform. The ARU have cut so much money to develop this and even schools that have played rugby are cutting back teams as enthusiasm dwindles for the sport.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Must win with a bonus point this weekend. I know our finals aspirations are pretty much gone, however I think if we can finish the season with a positive W/L record then that's a step in the right direction. I think it would be the first time we have done that as well.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^Finals may be out of the questions, second in the conference isn't. Need that bonus point win to get the home record on track, dropping 3 home games is not really going to help ticket sales. Need to win the remaining two home games to have a 4-3 home win loss ratio. Than pick up the win in QLD for 4-4 away.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Ella has written a fairly critics piece on the signing of Koribete and raised some interesting points.. Reckons the Rebels are making the same mistakes again as when they went out and recruited KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) on big money deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As much as I loved watching Ella play, I put his opinions in the same basket as Growden and Burke's (anyone remember Growden's four point plan to save Australian rugby?).

Ella has previously suggested that the Rebels should play three "home" games a year in Western Sydney. Why don't the Waratahs play there a couple of times a year, 'cause, y'know, Western Sydney is, um, part of Sydney?

About the only parts of that article that I'd agree with is the bit about AFL being good at managing expansion. There are already more kids in Queensland playing AFL than League for example. In twenty years time, when Western Sydney is an AFL heartland people, will be saying that someone should have done something about that.

The bit about JO'C and Beale (and Cipriani to a lesser extent) turning out to be shit recruitments is an easy observation to make in hindsight but a lot of people thought it was genius recruiting at the time.

Time will tell but, the deal with Koroibete is in no way similar. Did he make the same criticisms when the Waratahs signed Izzy? Izzy would no doubt be costing the ARU more each year than Koroibete will. Another "Wallaby quick-fix"?

The bit that pissed me off the most in that article was him writing that it would be pointless for the Rebels or Force to make the finals as they couldn't convert that into commercial success. He doesn't give any examples as to how the Reds or 'Tahs managed to parlay their wins into commercial success.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
We put too much stead in blokes like Ella who played far fewer games at the highest level than the players they critique, in a beer-soaked environment that predates professionalism and for some reason expect them to be experts on sports administration and coaching.

Stinks to this (very) early early millennial of the ongoing boomer bias in public life.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Stinks to this (very) early early millennial of the ongoing boomer bias in public life.

I don't know what generational descriptor I fall into, Flower child maybe being born in the 70s,, but I don't rate a lot of millennials (as many as I do rate) in many business and personal life because of the simple belief that they (the unrated ones) demonstrate that accounts bits of paper with actual ability to do a job and a sense of entitlement to have that job because of the bit of paper over somebody who has done the graft and actually has the demonstrated ability to do the job if not the bit of paper.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Mate you're meant to be a bitter disenfranchised gen x, not a defender of the boomer!

By that description Ella falls into the 'millennial' category. Has the paper, entitled to his opinion.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I just don't bother clicking on anything that has the names Ella, Burke, Growden, Zavos, Greg Martin, Campese, Poideven or John Connolly attached to it............

I'd also think twice about reading anything penned by Bob Dwyer........

It seems that most of those ex-Wallaby player/coaches from that era are often way out of touch with the modern game when it comes to player selections, tactics, administration and the importance of premier club rugby.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
As much as I loved watching Ella play, I put his opinions in the same basket as Growden and Burke's (anyone remember Growden's four point plan to save Australian rugby?).

When Ella manages to get through an entire article without referencing himself I'll begin to take him seriously.

The Rebels, and Australian rugby more generally, have big issues with pace, especially out wide. Koroibete is well worth a look in that respect. While it'd be nice to poach Rory Lobb and see if he can't be turned into a half decent lock, I don't think that's about to happen any time soon.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I just don't bother clicking on anything that has the names Ella, Burke, Growden, Zavos, Greg Martin, Campese, Poideven or John Connolly attached to it....

I'd also think twice about reading anything penned by Bob Dwyer....

It seems that most of those ex-Wallaby player/coaches from that era are often way out of touch with the modern game when it comes to player selections, tactics, administration and the importance of premier club rugby.
I'd add Georgina Robinson to that list as well, for entirely different reasons of course.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
When Ella manages to get through an entire article without referencing himself I'll begin to take him seriously.

The Rebels, and Australian rugby more generally, have big issues with pace, especially out wide. Koroibete is well worth a look in that respect. While it'd be nice to poach Rory Lobb and see if he can't be turned into a half decent lock, I don't think that's about to happen any time soon.
Every time I watch an AFL game I'm always thinking about how various ruckmen would go as locks. Obviously a lot of their skills would be transferable - Mike Pike converted from rugby to AFL pretty successfully and Collingwood have that basketball guy, Mason Something. You would think that going to AFL would be harder than the other way around as they have to learn to kick and handpass.
The AFL guys can already catch and run, give them a few good feeds and some time in the gym and a few of them would have to do well in rugby.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Every time I watch an AFL game I'm always thinking about how various ruckmen would go as locks. Obviously a lot of their skills would be transferable - Mike Pike converted from rugby to AFL pretty successfully and Collingwood have that basketball guy, Mason Something. You would think that going to AFL would be harder than the other way around as they have to learn to kick and handpass.
The AFL guys can already catch and run, give them a few good feeds and some time in the gym and a few of them would have to do well in rugby.

Mumford looks like a dirty bastard who loves contact and hitting people. Billy Longer looks like he could be a good lock too IMO.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
There are honestly any number of ruckmen who could do a job. The reality is most of the athletic big men in the country are playing footy, not rugby. It's one of the biggest reasons, IMO, why our locking depth is weak compared to England, South Africa, New Zealand etc.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Happy to say that my Wallaby v England tix came this week via email. Even happier to say they are my usual seats. I was expecting to be shunted to the cheap seats.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Happy to say that my Wallaby v England tix came this week via email. Even happier to say they are my usual seats. I was expecting to be shunted to the cheap seats.
We got ours yesterday too. Not our regular seats but nearly as good, just outside the 10m line, eight rows from the fence.

Pretty happy :)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Got mine too. Section 72, Isle 2, Row J. Might need an oxygen mask to hike all the way up there. Fark me :(

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I just don't bother clicking on anything that has the names Ella, Burke, Growden, Zavos, Greg Martin, Campese, Poideven or John Connolly attached to it....

I'd also think twice about reading anything penned by Bob Dwyer....

I can't wait to hear which league convert Dwyer anoints as the next Wallaby outside centre/goal kicking master.

Status
Not open for further replies.