• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
uploadfromtaptalk1467281632805.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a bit disappointed that Stirzaker, fugistaller and tameti Ellison are not in the playing squad this week

Not sure what the go is with NS but TE & SF are both leaving at season end so I'd say McGahan has decided to move on, esp as they've already had their exit interviews (or so says The Australian).

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Luke jones and mike Harris also leaving, but they get to play, just disappointed that fugistaller and Ellison are not allowed to play

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Fugz hasn't been in the best 23 all season. Tamati has a season ending calf injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I am disappointed that the club can't give players (particularly Tamati) the send off they deserve. But technically being in contention, injuries to the players, and lack of injuries elsewhere is a very good reason not to.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
injury update

The Melbourne Rebels will assess the fitness of Lopeti Timani, Luke Jones, Nic Stirzaker and Mike Harris ahead of the team’s penultimate game against the Crusaders in Christchurch on Saturday.
Stirzaker and Harris were withdrawn before the Rebels last home game of the season against the Stormers after the pair suffered ankle injuries at training while Timani and Jones failed concussion tests during the first-half.
The quartet will be monitored during the week ahead of the Rebels team selection on Thursday.
Prop Laurie Weeks successfully returned from a hamstring injury as a 28th minute substitute after he was sidelined for five weeks.
The Melbourne Rebels injury update following Round 15 v Stormers brought to you by Recover Sports Medicine:
Lopeti Timani (Concussion): Concussion Test
Luke Jones (Concussion): Concussion Test
Nic Stirzaker (Ankle): Test
Mike Harris (Ankle): Test
Dan Hawkins (Back): Season Ending
Dom Shipperley (Knee): Season Ending
Cam Crawford (Broken Hand): Season Ending

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Or Hagan
Ellison clearly out for the year.
Not certain why Thomson not mentioned, they missed him greatly on Saturday

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Spoke to one of the backs at the after-match function. Said that Tamati was doing everything to play against the Reds. Didn't say what his chances were, but certainly sounded better than nil. Would explain why he's off the injured list now.

T

TOCC

I think the S&C department needs to be examined, yes there is always an element of bad luck to injuries, but there are preventative measures which can be put in place. They don't seem to be unfit, perhaps the nature of their conditioning maybe leaving them more vulnerable to injuries, or maybe their fatigue levels are an influencing factor.. Either way it's something which should be looked at.

I said it last year after the Reds had an injury riddled season, Damian Marsh took over the S&C at the Reds and the injury rate has been noticeably lower.

D

daz

So, a comprehensive review of the Rebels 2016 season has been ordered. Think this thread will go into meltdown.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/07/08/03/09/rebels-order-review

Not meltdown. More like a slowing of Network access to the forum thread due to a significant increase in intelligent, well thought out and emotionally pleasing debate to the topic at hand.

Other Oz province supporters have internal meltdowns, not us. We are waaay classier than those fucktards.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think the S&C department needs to be examined, yes there is always an element of bad luck to injuries, but there are preventative measures which can be put in place. They don't seem to be unfit, perhaps the nature of their conditioning maybe leaving them more vulnerable to injuries, or maybe their fatigue levels are an influencing factor.. Either way it's something which should be looked at.

I said it last year after the Reds had an injury riddled season, Damian Marsh took over the S&C at the Reds and the injury rate has been noticeably lower.
I would like to know if they have regular "recovery" weeks as part of the program or is it just "build, build, build"? The body needs time to recover, which must be hard to manage in a team sport competition that has a game each week.

For example, with the June test window the team had 1 week off of 4. Maybe if they had 2 weeks off they could recover more. But I'm no expert!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
For example, with the June test window the team had 1 week off of 4. Maybe if they had 2 weeks off they could recover more. But I'm no expert!

Don't think it's really a matter of time off, everything said they were pushed harder than ever during preseason. Got to think that the final couple of weeks before the season started that they needed to ease off and work on some skills before games begun. After all the start of the season was horrible for recovery when your flying so much.

T

TOCC

I would like to know if they have regular "recovery" weeks as part of the program or is it just "build, build, build"? The body needs time to recover, which must be hard to manage in a team sport competition that has a game each week.

Recovery weeks or prolonged recovery periods are really only necessary if there is an injury which is really restricting movement or getting further inflamed. Athletes can begin to lose fitness in as little as 7 days if they taper their training too soon before an event or too soon before the season begins. I wouldn't say the June break is an issue, just look at the Wallabies who played all 3 test matches and SuperRugby games either side.

What is more important is the intensity levels of the training through the week and managing fatigue levels, also the nature of the training and conditioning, is it functional and relevant to the game day requirements?.. This is where the science of S&C comes to the fore and there is varying ideas on how to approach this.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
What happened to the Rebels against the Saders?? Didn't see the game however the scoreline suggests something went amiss. Still the Crusaders did the same to the Waratahs a few years back.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
What happened to the Rebels against the Saders?? Didn't see the game however the scoreline suggests something went amiss. Still the Crusaders did the same to the Waratahs a few years back.

Missing a lot of 1st XV starters and we just never really got going. No one seemed to be ready to make tackles and the Saders had everything click for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.