• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You weren't alone in that Redshappy, most of us felt that the suing talk was to negotiate a significantly stronger platform to do what he really wanted, whether that had been more money, more freedom to recruit, or the freedom to sell without condemning the team.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
.the Melbourne Rebels’ future looks pretty secure.

.Our spies tell us negotiations are well advanced between Cox’s Imperium group, the ARU and the Victorian Government about shifting the licence back to the VRU.

.the businessman is apparently open to exiting the financially-draining sports ownership game if a deal can be struck with the VRU, who are backed by the government..

.The ARU would have to approve but we’re told they back the proposal because it would involve Imperium dropping litigation against the ARU for damages of them being caught up in the Super Rugby axe saga.

Looks like negotiations have stalled:
1. to shift the licence back to the VRU the Rebels needs to be debt free and right now, it isn't
2. Cox still reserves his rights to continue litigation
3. Victorian Government is too smart to get caught in the middle of a s&^t fight with the ARU after being burnt once before.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Looks like negotiations have stalled:
1. to shift the licence back to the VRU the Rebels needs to be debt free and right now, it isn't
2. Cox still reserves his rights to continue litigation
3. Victorian Government is too smart to get caught in the middle of a s&^t fight with the ARU after being burnt once before.

Such a happy, well managed situation isn't it.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
For what it's worth, the whispers tonight from players and staff re. 2018 were generally positive.

Hopefully we come through this shit of a season.

I'd like to recognise the commitment and input of the players in what has been a fairly *trying* season. Colby, Reece and Mitch (others too, eg Pat) spent a good hour+ with the kids after tonight's game. Great blokes.

The Rebels members of gagr have also been been pretty bloody good this year. The higher ground has been well and truly held.

If the coin lands our way, I'll see you all in the 2018 thread. Good luck to you all.

Some good luck to the Force fans, but I'm sure you'll understand why it's a very lukewarm luck that I'm wishing. Shithouse situation for all of us but as the old man always said, never give a mug an even break.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Also massive cheers to my old neighbours who helped with the old platinum ticket switcheroo and got us out of from behind the Swan St end and over to the benches. Muchos gracias!

B

BLR

The Rebels members of gagr have also been been pretty bloody good this year. The higher ground has been well and truly held.

Picking through the Force players with glee before a decision to see which ones you would take isn't higher ground.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Picking through the Force players with glee before a decision to see which ones you would take isn't higher ground.
As you were a chief antagonist in this and the other *Rebels* thread, I'd invite you to take a long walk off a short pier.

B

BLR

Well I have the same info from 6 sources tonight. One I accept as we are good to go

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Did they explain how exactly? I mean, they were safe from day 1 but here we are 3 months later.

How is the ARU getting out of this mess?

M

Moono75

Well I have the same info from 6 sources tonight. One I accept as we are good to go

Is this the same source that told Harold "I keep my ears to the ground" Verster the Cheetahs were safe? Because he was sure as shit they were safe from being axed??

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Is this the same source that told Harold "I keep my ears to the ground" Verster the Cheetahs were safe? Because he was sure as shit they were safe from being axed??
One source did media stuff today for them in advance of the announcement

M

Moono75

One source did media stuff today for them in advance of the announcement

I think there's a difference with announcing options to sell the licence on from Cox to another group and having your place guaranteed in the comp for 2018 and beyond.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I think there's a difference with announcing options to sell the licence on from Cox to another group and having your place guaranteed in the comp for 2018 and beyond.

An alternate view.
As I've said often, the Rebs biggest weakness is Cox, and it seems to me the ARU have him over a barrel.
He cant sell without ARU permission and he needs the ARU to fund them and clearly his ability to sue seems weak.
If the WF contract holds it would seem currently that that they are in the safer position?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did they explain how exactly? I mean, they were safe from day 1 but here we are 3 months later.

How is the ARU getting out of this mess?

The reason this is stalled and has taken too long isn't laziness, indecision, or greed. It's because it's a legal process now (in various different ways).

Legal processes take as long as they take.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)

Bloke, Give it a rest hey?

When it's all said and done it is what it is, whether one team goes or both teams stay; Regardless of how we feel about it.
In regards to the players: no matter who on what forum hopes they do, they'll end up where they want to end up. Cant begrudge someone for making a living. Plus, we all have a wish list.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels awards

Mafi Best player (well d'uh !)
English Weary Dunlop award
Sa'aga Rookie
Koroibete Best try (v Cru Rd 14)

and The afternoon function was an opportunity to recognise and farewell departing players, including Mitch Inman (Oyonnax, France), Ben Meehan (London Irish, UK), Jonah Placid (Toulon, France) and head coach Tony McGahan

Status
Not open for further replies.