• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeh i agree. But i have to admit that i have a bit of a man crush on Jordi, therefore i couldn't leave him out of my side and i also wanted Timani at no8 for the sake of the wallabies. Both selfish reasons. haha

It wouldn't surprise me to see

1 Smith
2 Hanson
3 Weekes
4 Jeffries
5 Timani
6 Mafi
7 Reid
8 McMahon

That's just about the most mobile pack in the competition, but is the balance right?

As for Stirzaker being a lock at 9.. I am yet to be overly convinced, Meehan looked far better last year and looked more composed at NRC level. Having a Stirzaker/Meehan 9/10 is also a big no no for me. Its a potential turn style against a team with a dynamic 12 or even if they do make their tackles, the lack of dominance in them would lead to offloads and dangerous second phase play. Not saying either of them are bad tacklers but being a good tackler doesn't make you a good defender, hence my complete distaste of tackle % statistics etc. Winning the contact is just about the most important facet of modern rugby in defense otherwise it will just create quick ball or second phase play and we all know how that went against the kiwi sides last year. I just like the idea of a little bit more size to at least mentally deter opposition teams running at that channel all day.

I think Jordy is the goods also. Then again I also like Fainga'a and think Mcmahon would be a poor 7 for the rebels as it would mess the balance up. Annoyed they got Mafi though also he is so epic (though would be happier with Mafi at the sunwolves) leaving Jeffries, Rettalick, Mcmahon Timani & Reid at the Rebels with Day and Fainga'a off the bench.

Fainga'a should have gone to the Brumbies instead of Alcock. All 3 fingers at the Brumbies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Timu's contract is up at the end of this year. With him and Tui potentially gone (depending on Timu's form), we could handle McMahon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fainga'a should have gone to the Brumbies instead of Alcock. All 3 fingers at the Brumbies.

I am sorry also that Colby didn't return to the Brumbies this year. I hope and believe that Alcock will give his all when called on, but would have had more confidence in the role of No 7 being done to Super standard if Colby had filled the spot.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
no doubt alcock is good, IMO shoulda been starting 7 at force this year, but should now be starting 7 at brumbies (I do NOT rate butler, and the Brumbies need Fakasolia muscle @ 8).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Poop.

Cummins and Jeffries will clearly be our starting pair then, and Timani will probably play a lot more lock than Chieka would like.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Poop.

Cummins and Jeffries will clearly be our starting pair then, and Timani will probably play a lot more lock than Chieka would like.

Retallick would be ahead of Cummins on last seasons form, but yes pretty much means Timani will spend a not of time at lock. We are really going to be short on jumpers.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
OK, so why is Sam K Jeffries pictured on what looks very much like a hospital bed with possibly an injured foot?!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
cummins and jeffries will not be the top lock option. Expect to see alot of Day, Rettalick and probably jeffries

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Jeffries out for pre-season, should be good for Round 1.

4 - Day
5 - Timani
6 - Reid
7 - McMahon
8 - Mafi
19 - Jeffries/Cummins
20 - Fainga'a

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wasn't a complaint about your team necessarily.

More that without Toolis, and with Jeffries to be less than match fit going into round 1, the desire to play Timani in the locks again increases. And while most of the remaining locks will be able to match Jones, Mafi is definitely nowhere near as good as Thomson in that regard.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Wasn't a complaint about your team necessarily.

More that without Toolis, and with Jeffries to be less than match fit going into round 1, the desire to play Timani in the locks again increases. And while most of the remaining locks will be able to match Jones, Mafi is definitely nowhere near as good as Thomson in that regard.

Ah gotcha, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Where I think the issue has been in recent years has been an overuse of the lineout, particularly for penalties within 30m. With the power we can generate in our scrum, particularly with the addition of Mafi, we should be looking to take advantage of that at all times - play to your strengths, avoid your weaknesses.

With two Fijian fliers on the outside, it just makes so much more sense; I hope that Stirzaker has been preaching this during pre-season, as ultimately the buck sits with him when it comes to on-field decision making.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually think, despite some weaknesses, this is a talented Rebel squad, and anything could happen this season.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree, however we have a very, very tough fixture and unsettled halves duo.

Unsettled? We'll likely have the 3rd year of the same halves pair, unless you know something I don't.

Yes, many fans want Meehan or that Wellington 10 to start, and not with zero merit, but that's not likely to happen.

We've also got the Wallaby 12 incumbent outside them and the Wallaby 8 (at times) inside them, so they're surrounded with test experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.