• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I dont disagree. But I was thinking just how much the Reds hot out of Matwijou. Talent must be offered a shot if its there. Obviously from your own ranks first.
True, but IDK if there's many guys running around that have the experience Matwijou had when he filled in for the Reds (NPC).

I'd not mind bringing down another tighthead to join Sa'aga as the backup props till June.
Sa'age was a loosehead the last few times I saw him play (perhaps everytime I saw him play). Now, I'm sure he could play tighthead to some standard, but not necessarily a good one.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
These dont appear to be soft tissue overuse injuries. The hamstring aside. Day came back from Japan injured, McMahon got fucked over by the Wobs staff, the others i dint know but could be contact related. Its a tough sport and shit happens. I suspect more bad luck than bad management.
Smith did his hammy in the 10s.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Just for interest, this is the round one team from last season:

1. Toby Smith
  2. James Hanson
  3. Laurie Weeks
  4. Luke Jones
  5. Lopeti Timani
  6. Jordy Reid
  7. Sean McMahon (c)
  8. Adam Thomson
  9. Ben Meehan
  10. Jack Debreczeni
  11. Reece Hodge
  12. Mitch Inman
  13. Tamati Ellison
  14. Dom Shipperley
  15. Mike Harris

16. Pat Leafa
  17. Cruze Ah Nau
  18. Jamie Hagan
  19. Steve Cummins
  20. Colby Fainga’a
  21. Mick Snowden
  22. Jonah Placid
  23. Tom English

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

1. Toby Smith
  2. James Hanson
  3. Laurie Weeks
  4. Luke Jones
  5. Lopeti Timani
  6. Jordy Reid
  7. Sean McMahon (c)
  8. Adam Thomson
  9. Ben Meehan
  10. Jack Debreczeni
  11. Reece Hodge
  12. Mitch Inman
  13. Tamati Ellison
  14. Dom Shipperley
  15. Mike Harris
  16. Pat Leafa
  17. Cruze Ah Nau
  18. Jamie Hagan
  19. Steve Cummins
  20. Colby Fainga’a
  21. Mick Snowden
  22. Jonah Placid
  23. Tom English

What i'd do to have Luke Jones back. Not saying he is a world beater, but he was a good super rugby quality lock. I'd go as far as saying with his inclusion and the current playing squad, we'd be in with a shot of a playoff position.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sa'age was a loosehead the last few times I saw him play (perhaps everytime I saw him play). Now, I'm sure he could play tighthead to some standard, but not necessarily a good one.

I'd just like to avoid the robbing Peter to pay Paul situation.

Cruze is undoubtedly our best loosehead with Toby out, however, in more than a few NRC games and one or two Soup Games, it's been shown that he's preferred as a tighthead over Moloney and Sa'aga.

So if Weeks does a shoulder, or Lomax a Hammy, our choices are to dramatically weaken the tighthead side by playing our 3rd or 4th choice loosehead there, or significantly weaken both sides by moving our best available loosehead across.

Bringing in a tighthead from Interstate/overseas (let's be fair, there's no tighthead with Pro potential playing Dewar Shield full time) removes that ugly choice, particularly if Metcher is going to miss more than 4 or 5 games.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

1. Toby Smith
  2. James Hanson
  3. Laurie Weeks
  4. Luke Jones
  5. Lopeti Timani
  6. Jordy Reid
  7. Sean McMahon (c)
  8. Adam Thomson
  9. Ben Meehan
  10. Jack Debreczeni
  11. Reece Hodge
  12. Mitch Inman
  13. Tamati Ellison
  14. Dom Shipperley
  15. Mike Harris
  16. Pat Leafa
  17. Cruze Ah Nau
  18. Jamie Hagan
  19. Steve Cummins
  20. Colby Fainga’a
  21. Mick Snowden
  22. Jonah Placid
  23. Tom English
If I remember correctly,

JD ruled out before kickoff, Hodge to FB and English to wing. Harris lasted less than 20 min at 10 and Hodge got some introduction to Super Rugby.

Think are starting back line should be more dangerous than that just by bringing Sefa in.

Thomson or Jones for line outs would be bloody helpful though.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Blues have named a really weak team. I'd previously written your boys off but the team announcement forced a double-take.

Blues team announced:

1. Pauliasi Manu
2. Matt Moulds
3. Sione Mafileo
4. Jimmy Tupou (C)
5. Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
6. Steven Luatua
7. Blake Gibson
8. Akira Ioane
9. Augustine Pulu
10. Ihaia West
11. Melani Nanai
12. Piers Francis
13. Rieko Ioane
14. Matt Duffie
15. Michael Collins.

16. Hame Faiva
17. Sam Prattley
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Scott Scrafton
20. Murphy Taramai
21. Sam Nock
22. George Moala
23. Rene Ranger

Players not considered for selection include James Parsons, Jerome Kaino, Patrick Tuipulotu, Billy Guyton, Declan O’Connell, Stephen Perofeta and Sonny Bill Williams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Faumuina, Moala and Ranger are a great set of players to come off the bench, and could turn the game if it's there to be won in the 50-65th minutes.

Otherwise I'm a little more confident than I was yesterday.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Faumuina, Moala and Ranger are a great set of players to come off the bench, and could turn the game if it's there to be won in the 50-65th minutes.

Otherwise I'm a little more confident than I was yesterday.

Agreed. Looking at the two teams i believe we can gain some ascendancy in the loose, otherwise i struggle to see an area where we can gain some dominance. Overall the two teams have a very similar feel and make up to them with the blues looking slightly stronger on paper but the home ground advantage kinda evens the contest up. I've blindly gone for the rebels by 5.

Biggest concern is upfront, if we can gain parity and by parity i mean not concede penalties and win the vast majority of own ball then we are in with a good shot.

I hope for this week we go Reid, Mafi and Fainga'a in the backrow, with Timani at lock (for one week only until troops return next week).

Most excited to see Lomax come off the bench, i believe this kid is the goods.

The gf already thinks i watch too much rugby with a combination of Top14, Pro12, Sevens and Aviva Prem wait till she realises exactly what watching too much rugby means. haha

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Blues have named a really weak team. I'd previously written your boys off but the team announcement forced a double-take.

*snip
Not their strongest team but "really weak team" might be a bit of an overstatement, still a lot of talent in their 23.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Not their strongest team but "really weak team" might be a bit of an overstatement, still a lot of talent in their 23.

Yes, still a very decent side.

But when the Blues line up with some combination of Tu'ungafasi, Parsons, Faumuina, Tuipolotu, Luatua, Tupou, Kaino, Akira Ioane and Blake Gibson in the forwards and a backline of Pulu, West, Rene Ranger, SBW, George Moala, Rieko Ioane and Melani Nanai...

This is about the weakest possible Blues team they could have named. Even Declan O'Donnell and Stephen Perofeta have been left out

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes, still a very decent side.

But when the Blues line up with some combination of Tu'ungafasi, Parsons, Faumuina, Tuipolotu, Luatua, Tupou, Kaino, Akira Ioane and Blake Gibson in the forwards and a backline of Pulu, West, Rene Ranger, SBW, George Moala, Rieko Ioane and Melani Nanai.

This is about the weakest possible Blues team they could have named. Even Declan O'Donnell and Stephen Perofeta have been left out

The biggest mistake the Rebels can make is thinking this is a weak Blues side. Is there such a things as a weak Kiwi side?

Underestimate your opponent at your own peril!

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rebels team to face the Blues:

1. Cruze Ah-Nau
2. Pat Leafa
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Steve Cummins
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Jordy Reid
7. Colby Fainga’a
8. Amanaki Mafi^*
9. Nic Stirzaker (Captain)
10. Jackson Garden-Bachop^*
11. Tom English
12. Reece Hodge
13. Mitch Inman
14. Jack Maddocks^*
15. Jack Debreczeni

Reserves
16. Jordan Uelese^*
17. Tom Moloney
18. Tyrel Lomax^*
19. Culum Retallick
20. Jake Schatz*
21. Ben Meehan
22. Sione Tuipulotu
23. Jonah Placid
^Super Rugby debut
*Rebels debut

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Article says Hanson injured in Reds trial and Sefa has an infection. I assume Korobete hasn't overcome his knee injury yet.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Team selected is capable but its going to be tough. Some decent reprieve from the bench in certain positions, seriously questioning it is others. Either way, lets go Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.