• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Haha, yeah, it could've gone better.

But all is not lost. In defence, we probably just bled tries due to the weight of possession from too many attacking errors. Our attacking errors came from us going far too laterally and just being easy to pick off.

Now, there's more to it than that but fixing it will be a good start.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Haha, yeah, it could've gone better.

But all is not lost. In defence, we probably just bled tries due to the weight of possession from too many attacking errors. Our attacking errors came from us going far too laterally and just being easy to pick off.

Now, there's more to it than that but fixing it will be a good start.
You made every imaginable mistake.

In just the first half alone the Rebels kicked the ball out on the full, got held up in an involuntary maul, knocked the ball on, got pinged for holding on, missed three distinctly kickable shots at goal, got pinged for accidental offside, threw the worlds easiest (not hyperbole) intercept try, etc. That's just the first half... i think you have a few more problem's than errors in attack.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thanks.

I'll note that every single thing you've listed was an attacking error, but maybe you have a personal vendetta against summarisation.

Mate, he isn't wrong. A lot of fundamental errors. These guys are professional footballers. At the very least they should be able to execute the basics. While have been attacking in nature it's still doesn't make them less inexcusable.

Early days but so far in the race to possible extinction the Rebels have thrown down a marker for being it.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well.

Fuck.

That was bad. When are the injured players back? They would completely transform your side.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks.

I'll note that every single thing you've listed was an attacking error, but maybe you have a personal vendetta against summarisation.
My point was that you were being reductive.

we probably just bled tries due to the weight of possession from too many attacking errors.

This fails to effectively capture the magnitude of the Rebels incompetence.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
^^^^^only if there are 15 out injured..

There are almost 15 missing :
1 Toby Smith 2 James Hanson 3 Tim Metcher 4 Alex Toolis 5 Dominic Day 6 Sean McMahon 7 Rob Leota 8 Sam Jeffries 9 10 11 Marika Koroibete 12 Sefanaia Naivalu 13 Mitch Inman 14 Dom Shipperley 15 Pama Fou

We have the forward pack covered although no injuries at 8 but have enough injured locks to have 8 injured forwards. We don't have 9 and 10 covered although Stirzaker could have been added to 9 after 15 minutes.

Main problem is guys like Smith, Metcher, Toolis and Fou are all long term. From what I have heard McMahon a number of weeks away too.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Haha, fair chat guys. I'm more getting at the fact that one data point in isolation is meaningless.

Yes better to have a belting at the start of the season so that they can get fired up to improve instead of when they are at the business end. I hope that they do improve, I only saw the 2nd half due to kids touch game but was shocked at how many points the Blues were putting on and with such ease. I'm a Blues fan so happy to see them finally back in form but thought that the Rebels would do better. From what I saw I thought Meehan did some good things - his chasing down of that try where he almost saved it, getting across the field against a winger was impressive commitment. Not sure where the actual Rebels wings or fullback were at that point but I thought that he had saved the try at first.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
What i thought was most alarming from last night was Tony McGahan halftime interview. What he thought was the game plan seemed completely at odds with the players were trying to do. There's always been a bit of chatter that the players and Tony don't see eye to eye. Maybe it's a little deeper then that.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes better to have a belting at the start of the season so that they can get fired up to improve instead of when they are at the business end. I hope that they do improve, I only saw the 2nd half due to kids touch game but was shocked at how many points the Blues were putting on and with such ease. I'm a Blues fan so happy to see them finally back in form but thought that the Rebels would do better. From what I saw I thought Meehan did some good things - his chasing down of that try where he almost saved it, getting across the field against a winger was impressive commitment. Not sure where the actual Rebels wings or fullback were at that point but I thought that he had saved the try at first.
I think the ultimately most unsatisfying thing is the Rebels would've really worked on a lot of skills, habits, and game plan stuff in the off-season, and they didn't put much of it on the park. At least not regularly. Ultimately the most disappointing thing is that it's not that what they worked on in the off-season failed, it's that they didn't get to implement much of it due a huge volume of basic errors.

Their drifting D looked a little bit passive and prone to biting on the wrong guy, but the Blues do have a number of electric runners so that'll happen. This is where all the points really came from, that and weight of possession.

I think Meehan has 'spark plug' written all over him. His energy makes him an excellent finisher in certain game contexts. I do however think he's prone to complaining to the ref and his 'tap first' mentality isn't always the right call. Stirzaker was actually good too, pre-head knock.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What i thought was most alarming from last night was Tony McGahan halftime interview. What he thought was the game plan seemed completely at odds with the players were trying to do. There's always been a bit of chatter that the players and Tony don't see eye to eye. Maybe it's a little deeper then that.

Interesting - what quote are you referring to?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He spoke of playing to a controlled structure. Rebels looked to be doing anything but that.

I think they were reasonably structured TBH. At least in the first half. But, that shouldn't be confused with the structure working.

I think they just were set very flat and weren't good enough to do it. They also didn't really have the go-forward dominance in the middle, partly due to ineffective carries and partly due to going wide too early.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Maybe the team that played was not good enough to execute the game plan, a lot of changes, maybe some of them were pretty late.

But I have said it before and I will keep saying it. We simply cannot go into games against good opposition with one lineout jumper. This is just madness. If the Rebels want to persist with Timani at lock, they simply have to pick a lineout option at 6. Otherwise their season is doomed, I tell you, doomed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.