• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
OK, let's just stop talk of which players etc for now, out of respect. Remember, nothing is official. If this all turns out to be false (fake news), it could still be the Rebels. How would we feel then?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That Paul Cully article angered me too. Basically saying if the Rebels weren't around Hodge would have been playing for the Tahs. Really? How exactly? Expansion has given more opportunities in my opinion. Typical Sydney thinking.

Yes, an article by a NZ born, Northern Irishman living in New Zealand as typical Sydney thinking seems reasonable.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Determined how, Mr W? At the particular time of any decision to cut a side? Or on performance over a period of time? If the former, atm it would mean one of the so called stronger state teams getting the benefit of early draft picks. In fact, it might mean that regardless given the way the Reds have performed in recent years. Yet they are widely acknowledged as having the strongest roster of any of the current Aus Super Rugby sides.

If the intention is the spread the talent more evenly, then I think the two remaining franchises out of the Force/Rebels/Brumbies should get the lions share, although I can see noses being put out of joint if the Brumbies are treated more favourably than the Reds/Tahs. It will just be another shit fight to further upset the apple cart that is Aus rugby.
It's gonna be a shit fight which ever way you slice it. Maybe the Reds could be given first draft pick from the coaches :confused:

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Exactly. How many current stars playing with either the Rebels or Force would have had opportunities at the Reds/Tahs/Brumbies to make their mark?

Timani? Naivalu? Toby Smith? DHP? Coleman? Peni? Rona? etc? Having proved themselves, they will be in demand, but not all would have had that opportunity without the Rebels and Force.
I completely agree.

I've been banging on about this for a while.

A big part of the argument from the pro-chop side has been the number of locally produced players from the three franchises (or lack thereof).

Some recognition should be given to the number of players given opportunities outside of their home states (or territory) that would not have otherwise have been there. I guess there will always be opportunities at Racing or Suntory or Bath or the like.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry but I find the discussion of which players get redistributed where to be completely tasteless.

A lot of the media reporting on this whole issue has been completely tasteless.

Actually, I'm still fuming from reading that rubbish article by Paul Cully a few weeks back about which Rebels "should" be playing for NSW or QLD. Err, they probably would have been if they had been signed by their home states - but they weren't.

If one team is to be chopped then those players with current contracts should go into a draft with the lowest placed remaining teams getting the first options - learn something from the AFL.

I'm still hoping the Saffas refuse to cut two teams and they're forced into going to a 3 x 6 conference system.

I completely and 100% agree with this. How the ARU could even consider cutting a team but continue to subsidise the existence of the Sunwolves and/or Jaguares is beyond me.

As for players, they should have complete control over where they move if their team is cut, including overseas or staying in Perth and not playing Rugby professionally; there's no way that they should be forced to move anywhere against their will.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I completely and 100% agree with this. How the ARU could even consider cutting a team but continue to subsidise the existence of the Sunwolves and/or Jaguares is beyond me.

As for players, they should have complete control over where they move if their team is cut, including overseas or staying in Perth and not playing Rugby professionally; there's no way that they should be forced to move anywhere against their will.
Perhaps, if true, the part about contracts being honoured is for the player's benefit if they want to stay in Australia. I am sure the ARU wouldn't make anyone stay and play out their contract in a team they don't want to play for.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Perhaps, if true, the part about contracts being honoured is for the player's benefit if they want to stay in Australia. I am sure the ARU wouldn't make anyone stay and play out their contract in a team they don't want to play for.

How are you so sure? This is the same ARU that is putting SANZAAR's needs ahead of its' own, again. I don't have faith in them making any measured decisions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

But that could run counter to the professed intention of cutting the franchise, whichever one it is. Conceivably, the bulk of the players electing to stay would prefer to go to either the Tahs or the Reds where most of them came from in the first place. Many others will go o/s. Unlikely to look like evening up the playing group over the four remaining franchises.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^RUPA would get a say on behalf of the players. ARU would not be able to Force anything.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Another day, another report of the Reds having another crack at luring Mad Dog back to Queensland.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/2a27ac1e7a72879f400f21ec0682f371

(skip over the big about a top-secret plan).

Also talks about little Reb resigning, which may kill the Genia deal.

The thing I worry about the 2018 list is all the BS competition uncertainty. Could push a few star players to head to a new club, even though our chances of stick around look stronger by the day.

Can't blame the players, only the fucking ARU for dicking everyone around.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Another day, another report of the Reds having another crack at luring Mad Dog back to Queensland.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/2a27ac1e7a72879f400f21ec0682f371

(skip over the big about a top-secret plan).

Also talks about little Reb resigning, which may kill the Genia deal.

The thing I worry about the 2018 list is all the BS competition uncertainty. Could push a few star players to head to a new club, even though our chances of stick around look stronger by the day.

Can't blame the players, only the fucking ARU for dicking everyone around.
I'm more worried about losing McMahon than not getting Genia.

Status
Not open for further replies.