• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jordy is with out a contract. His rehab would be covered by work cover like any other injury in the work place.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

havent seen him out on the paddock at this stage, certainly not a good sign of a comeback.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
ps watching them train this morning, everyone working really hard. the rehab group getting absolutely flogged with shuttle runs and sprints.

Not too surprising. Comparing to NZ teams is like flogging a dead horse around here but its undoubtedly the thing they're doing best, and a big part of why they are the best.

Speaking from a Scots perspective, that was supposedly the thing Rennie was best able to communicate remotely: and "fitness freak " Sean Lamont was saying his scores from 2016 were uncomfortably close to the 2017 Prop scores. And Josh Strauss has been left out of the Scotland lineup in the November internationals, despite both his good form for Sale and being Toonie's go to big boy at Glasgow.

If everyone is capable of digging deep for 80 minutes, that makes a big difference, particularly if the injury list is a lot smaller too.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
That's Australia's second nominated international side. That's why Sef Fa'agase pulled out of the game last minute.
Aus Barbarians or Barbarians FC. I thought he played for Barbarians FC (black and white hoops). Didn’t think Aus Barbars (green jersey) has played since the NRC v Heartland XV match a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Regardless of the Australian team, wasn't the French 2nd Nominated XV the U20s in 2016 anyways?

So since they weren't playing against another nominated side, it wouldn't cap tie the players?

I know in previous years that the Welsh and French U20s only got cap tied playing against each other in the 6 Nations, not against the other 4.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Aus Barbarians or Barbarians FC. I thought he played for Barbarians FC (black and white hoops). Didn’t think Aus Barbars (green jersey) has played since the NRC v Heartland XV match a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aus Baa Baas played the Brumbies in a trial early this year at Viking Park. GAGR have a match report somewhere FYI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What's the alternative? Rebels refuse the request from Chibba while maintaining the bloated overflow of the Force's rejects?

Tex, it’s not a go at the Rebels. It’s a (very much predicted) result of the ARU shrink policy. Forcing players away. It’s going to give a sugar hit, especially to the Rebels. I don’t begrudge the Rebels there. But the ARU are directly responsible for 2018 leavers.

D

daz

Tex, it’s not a go at the Rebels. It’s a (very much predicted) result of the ARU shrink policy. Forcing players away. It’s going to give a sugar hit, especially to the Rebels. I don’t begrudge the Rebels there. But the ARU are directly responsible for 2018 leavers.

Even if quite a few of those players are not good enough to play Super Rugby, and only made the squad because we needed players to fill the roster? Shrinking from 5 to 4 was always going to cause over-supply, and to that end, yes the ARU was responsible. And yes, we are going to lose some good players, but perhaps those players more likely on the downward cycle of their careers. But many of those less-than-top-tier guys now forced out would never made it past club rugby or would have ended up playing for much smaller salaries in provincial comps if not for the Oz 5 team Super Rugby policy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's Australia's second nominated international side. That's why Sef Fa'agase pulled out of the game last minute.

Which game are you talking about? If you're talking about the Wallabies vs Barbarians game this year then Fa'agase didn't play because he got injured in the midweek game against the Classic Barbarians. If you're talking about the Wallaby XV game vs the French Barbarians game last year then that may be right. Fa'agase was named on the bench. I can't work out whether he actually played or not. That game may have been tied to Australian eligibility because Taniela Tupou was on that tour but couldn't play it.

Tex

John Thornett (49)

Sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking that every departure has mismanagement at its roots. As though all the players who've left Australia (and NZ and SA) would have stuck around at a lower wage and narrower personal horizons, only if we had some competent managers. Then I think what I'd do if I was a young professional with all of England, France and Japan open to me....

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
This is the game I am referencing: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/11/24/21/46/french-barbarians-wallabies-xv

I assure you, players are Australian-tied from this game.

I am sure your info is good, but it makes no sense to me whatsoever. The Wallabies XV match would have to be considered cap tied under regulation 8.3 (c)

He is selected to represent a Union’s next senior Touring Squad on a World Rugby approved International Tour and during that International Tour he is present at a Match against the senior fifteen a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-aside National Representative Team of another Union either as a replacement, substitute or playing member of a team selected from the Union’s next senior Touring Squad and has, at the time of the Match reached the age of majority.

But at that time the French Barbarians were not the Next Senior fifteen a side National Representative team of France: it was the under 20s, and the selection of ex-aussie sevens player Blair Connor is testament to that. The 2013-2017 Pdf Presented here: https://www.worldrugby.org/regulations/next-senior-representative-team?lang=en is also a testament to that.

As I said, no doubting you or your sources, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they would be cap tied, and there would certainly be a good argument for disputing it if he chose to do so.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But at that time the French Barbarians were not the Next Senior fifteen a side National Representative team of France: it was the under 20s, and the selection of ex-aussie sevens player Blair Connor is testament to that. The 2013-2017 Pdf Presented here: https://www.worldrugby.org/regulations/next-senior-representative-team?lang=en is also a testament to that.

As I said, no doubting you or your sources, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they would be cap tied, and there would certainly be a good argument for disputing it if he chose to do so.

I didn't think the opposition was relevant in these situations.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I didn't think the opposition was relevant in these situations.

Forgive my complete and utter lack of legalese, but if the opposition didn't matter, why would:

..during that International Tour he is present at a Match against the senior fifteen a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-aside National Representative Team of another Union either as a replacement, substitute or playing member of a team..

Be part of the regulation if it wasn't?

D

daz

Ladies/Gents, obviously pleasing everyone was never going to be easy, so I have made the executive decision to follow a bastardised version of the famous advice - "Build it and they will come. Or not".

So, details of the GAGR (Melbourne Chapter) Christmas Drinks 2017: Crafty Squire Pub, 127 RUSSELL ST, MELBOURNE. Lunch Booking on level 2 for 1:30pm Saturday 16th Dec.

Invite will also go out to Dave Wessels.

I have made an initial booking, but please RSVP on this thread only, so I can get an idea for final head count. Plus, I can weed out the undesirables!

Replying to my own post. How gauche. Ladies and gents, it was always going to be a bit hit and miss to organise something this close to Chrissy, and I have only had 3 positive returns so far. Dave W is also not able to attend. Given that, I suggest we cancel this function and re-schedule in Jan when our social calendars are a bit more flexible. I suppose we could call this a pre-season function! Anyhow, sorry for the lateness of the call to cancel, but since most of you weren't available, I'm really not inconveniencing many of you! :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Forgive my complete and utter lack of legalese, but if the opposition didn't matter, why would:

Be part of the regulation if it wasn't?

Based on the wording I agree that the opposition certainly matters. Maybe the reality here is that whilst this game wouldn't necessarily lock in someone's eligibility because the opposition weren't the "next senior team" at the time and in that case Fa'agase could have played without making him an Australian representative, you couldn't play for the Australian Barbarians team unless eligible (i.e. why Tupou didn't play).

Status
Not open for further replies.