• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Changes afoot at Rebels HQ:

https://melbournerebels.com/2017/06/04/rebels-promote-stephenson-to-ceo/

"This appointment is the first of a number of changes and announcements that we will be making as we position the Club for the 2017 NRC season and 2018 Super Rugby season, after a difficult season which has been impacted by the instability caused by the ARUs decision to state that it was reducing the number of Australian Super Rugby teams to four."

D

daz

Great stuff. Basically telling everyone that we are in business next year, we blame the ARU, the ARU is in line for a financial kicking, and one more thing, what was it? Slipped my mind, it was, umm, oh yeah - go fuck yourselves ARU.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great stuff. Basically telling everyone that we are in business next year, we blame the ARU, the ARU is in line for a financial kicking, and one more thing, what was it? Slipped my mind, it was, umm, oh yeah - go fuck yourselves ARU.

In a nutshell, Daz, in a nutshell!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Cox on his way to the ARU EGM.

ef18e3a96f509efdc9ca865c6b6d5792.jpg

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Changes afoot at Rebels HQ:

https://melbournerebels.com/2017/06/04/rebels-promote-stephenson-to-ceo/

"This appointment is the first of a number of changes and announcements that we will be making as we position the Club for the 2017 NRC season and 2018 Super Rugby season, after a difficult season which has been impacted by the instability caused by the ARUs decision to state that it was reducing the number of Australian Super Rugby teams to four."

I guess Cox is finally admitting that he is not up to running a super rugby franchise - he promised to make Melbourne Rebels one of the top twenty five clubs in the world, instead, he drove the sponsors away, he lost memberships and the team are bottom of the ladder, oh wait, second to bottom - maybe Baden can do a tad better - good luck with that Baden, of course, as a guy who has always run with the hares and hunted with the hounds he should do ok till the spot lights get too big.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
How is this newly promoted-to-CEO rated 'on the inside' of the Rebels establishment?

Instinctively I would have preferred an outsider to rebuild the Rebels' business, coaching and playing roster.

But you all locally have far better knowledge re what's required and who's equipped to do it.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Many might disagree with me, but I think Baden can spot player talent, so from a playing roster perspective I think it's good. I expect coach changes to come next.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well his to do list:

1) Is offer Laurie Fisher a nice coaching contract, 3 Years with a 2 year option.
2) Make sure we can manage to resign McMahon, it's actually the 18/19 season that the Japan offer is on the table for.
3) Sign Genia, don't care who does it just make it happen. We need that experienced head on the field.
4) Make sure Fisher hires a new Strength and Conditioning coach

Should I keep going?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Surely the CEO shouldn't be involved in player recruitment. It's one of the things that got the QRU in trouble post 2011.
Yes, but did the Reds CEO have experience in player recruitment? I think the danger is more doing too much; "I don't have time to talent-spot, just grab me 2 locks and a centre".

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Stop signing backrowers and wingers!!!!!!

We have a catalogue of both.

2 x locks and a 10. Then we will have a good team (for Australian standards anyway)

Next season i want to see

1 Smith
2 Hanson
3 Lomax
4 Parling (he's said hes off to Australia, rumors are us)
5 New Signing ............. Kimlin (team relegated in France)????
6 Timani
7 McMahon (must resign)
8 Mafi (see McMahon)
9 New Signing ....................Cubeli???? (it'd be a shame if he took Powell's Brumbies spot and too good to sit on bench)
10 New Signing ................... Banks????? (he was off to Treviso this past year but bailed on that deal to stay, will be behind Sopoaga)
11 Koroibete
12 Hodge
13 English
14 Naivalu
15 Maddocks

16 Uelese
17 New Signing
18 Weekes
19 Jeffries/Toolis
20 Fainga'a
21 Stirzacker
22 Placid/Tuipulotu
23 Debreczini

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
a new coach is the number one priority, some one who can get the best out of what they've currently got, for a start. the current coaching crew seem to have reversed the development process

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Probably too many familiar names still there KO. New signings will mostly come from the Force if they're discarded, so maybe Coleman at Lock, Louwrens at No 9, Lance at No 10, but I think you'd do well to consider a few others as well. Rona, DHP, Ruru, Hardwick, RHP, Philip come to mind.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Probably too many familiar names still there KO. New signings will mostly come from the Force if they're discarded, so maybe Coleman at Lock, Louwrens at No 9, Lance at No 10, but I think you'd do well to consider a few others as well. Rona, DHP, Ruru, Hardwick, RHP, Philip come to mind.

Yeh and vise versa

Force with some of the Rebels outside backs and possibly Hodge at 13 would be a very good team.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

The thing with the familiar names, the Rebels backs don't get the ball quick enough to actually show if they are good enough. That back line from 11-15 is not that bad. They have just been let down for 2 years by a poor 9/10 combo.

The front row and back row are than let down by the worst lock combinations in Super Rugby, if not global rugby. Cummins should not be getting a game in club first grade let alone starting every game of Super Rugby this season. If we had some locks our scrum and line out would improve (Never know, even become an attacking base) and we might be able to set an attack on the front foot.

Smith - Underrated prop, has one of the best balanced games of all Australian loose heads.

Hanson - Sturggling at the Rebels, give him some line out targets who can catch and his confidence will rise and than we can see what he can do.

Lomax - Future Wallabie or All Black, his call.

Timani - Needs to be given a position and play the whole season there, lock, 6 or 8. Just let the guy get some consistency in his performance.

McMahon - No comments required.

Mafi - Would be good to resign, but lets face it. Unless Cox gets his way with the ARU we won't be allowed to resign him.

So throw Coleman and another solid lock into the forward pack and it looks strong. Sign Genia at 9 and a solid 10 or even play McGregor. Genia could be a massive on field coach if he is as good as the hype.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The thing with the familiar names, the Rebels backs don't get the ball quick enough to actually show if they are good enough. That back line from 11-15 is not that bad. They have just been let down for 2 years by a poor 9/10 combo.

The front row and back row are than let down by the worst lock combinations in Super Rugby, if not global rugby. Cummins should not be getting a game in club first grade let alone starting every game of Super Rugby this season. If we had some locks our scrum and line out would improve (Never know, even become an attacking base) and we might be able to set an attack on the front foot.

Smith - Underrated prop, has one of the best balanced games of all Australian loose heads.

Hanson - Sturggling at the Rebels, give him some line out targets who can catch and his confidence will rise and than we can see what he can do.

Lomax - Future Wallabie or All Black, his call.

Timani - Needs to be given a position and play the whole season there, lock, 6 or 8. Just let the guy get some consistency in his performance.

McMahon - No comments required.

Mafi - Would be good to resign, but lets face it. Unless Cox gets his way with the ARU we won't be allowed to resign him.

So throw Coleman and another solid lock into the forward pack and it looks strong. Sign Genia at 9 and a solid 10 or even play McGregor. Genia could be a massive on field coach if he is as good as the hype.

Agree with much of this, the sad thing is the Rebels have one of the best back 3's in the comp. The problem like you said is the horrendous ball they are receiving. Give Cooper or Foley this back 3 and they'd be flying.

I'd like to see Toolis and Jeffries given the reins to run during the NRC, considering they are both fit at lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.