• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Perhaps the ARU view the $20m over ten years as a hedge against devaluation of their matches, especially given they knew they were effectively removing one market which would lower competitive tension. Let's be honest - a bled today is a lower draw then it was five years ago. WA seem to have paid overs at the moment. Look at the 2017 Beldisloe 1 thread - 82 posts and we are only three days from kick off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a Bledisloe match thread? Thanks, I should check that out ;)

B

BLR

I suspect the real reason is the Vic Government were the only govt who offered such a large sum of cash upfront, like the ARU asked the WA Govt to do for the 2019 Bledisloe, it wouldn't be beyond the ARU to ask for cash now for a test match which won't happen until 2025. It would also explain why it isn't as much as we would expect it to be, there's no good reason for the ARU to otherwise negotiate a fee for a test match that's still 8 years away.

It's history repeating again and again, they are like a meth head looking for their next fix.

The expansion to the Rebs, sweet, a quick fix, and gone. The expansion to 18, and gone. How long do you think this quick fix will last before they have the knives out again and blackmailing other groups for funds?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I suspect the real reason is the Vic Government were the only govt who offered such a large sum of cash upfront, like the ARU asked the WA Govt to do for the 2019 Bledisloe, it wouldn't be beyond the ARU to ask for cash now for a test match which won't happen until 2025. It would also explain why it isn't as much as we would expect it to be, there's no good reason for the ARU to otherwise negotiate a fee for a test match that's still 8 years away.
Spending tomorrow's money today usually isn't a good idea for individuals, businesses, governments, or rugby unions.

T

TOCC

Spending tomorrow's money today usually isn't a good idea for individuals, businesses, governments, or rugby unions.

There aren't too many good ideas in the ARU these days.. Im sure they've managed to justify it to themselves somehow

T

TOCC

Probably a better idea than going bankrupt though.

That's a fairly one dimensional statement, it ignores a multitude of variables and provides vindication to any borrowing just to avoid bankruptcy.

This isn't fiscal policy where an injection of cash improves aggregate demand in the short run, this is a business mode which has lived beyond their means for a decade now, and is now attempting to borrow against future income to pay the operating exspense today. It's not a sustainable model.

It may be different if future eanings were brought forward to invest in the deveoplment of the game, but all evidence points towards the current ARU programs featuring declining market share, falling playing numbers and a revenue base which is pegged to an increasingly precarious model.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
That's a fairly one dimensional statement, it ignores a multitude of variables and provides vindication to any borrowing just to avoid bankruptcy.

This isn't fiscal policy where an injection of cash improves aggregate demand in the short run, this is a business mode which has lived beyond their means for a decade now, and is now attempting to borrow against future income to pay the operating exspense today. It's not a sustainable model.

It may be different if future eanings were brought forward to invest in the deveoplment of the game, but all evidence points towards the current ARU programs featuring declining market share, falling playing numbers and a revenue base which is pegged to an increasingly precarious model.
Yep, it looks like a ponzi scheme to me.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Shockingly I'm going to ask a rugby question but anyone know what's happening with Sam Jeffries? He was left off the rising squad. This injury has kept him out for a whole year

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Shockingly I'm going to ask a rugby question but anyone know what's happening with Sam Jeffries? He was left off the rising squad. This injury has kept him out for a whole year
His surgery and the end of last year went horribly wrong. Got an infection and had to have multiable clean ups afterwards.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
This is bound to annoy our WA friends a little more. From P&P.

WE told you here a few weeks back about the 10-year content deal being negotiated between the Victorian government, the VRU, the Rebels and the ARU.

Our sources down Mexico way say is worth closer to $13-14 million than $20m, and whatsmore, it still hasn’t been finalised.

The Victorian government threatened to pull the deal off the table several times in recent months to secure the Rebels’ future but the ARU refused to sign it so they could keep the option open of closing Melbourne down, should Rugby WA win arbitration.

But with financial backers who wanted to stay firmly in the background, the VRU outmanoeuvred the ARU by managing to convince Andrew Cox to give the Rebels licence back to them for $1.

They knew the ARU had agreed to the “put option” in the original licence agreement with Cox, and furthermore, knew the ARU wouldn’t want to challenge them on it legally.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/62d1e97b4f6eaf6c1128e5747c597600

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I hear Rob Clarke and Gary Gray are back in town advising Baden how he can spend the Victorian Governments money - no doubt they will issue Rebels with a substantial invoice for their services. If the Rebels Board allows this to continue, those two guys, who arranged the sale of the Rebels to Cox and then watched him drag it to depths not seen before, are given the wheel to guide the ship - then we are heading for a big iceberg.
I'm sorry, but I have said it before, if the Board is endorsing this sh*t all over again then the Rebels will sink.

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
I do believe there is at least one if not more new board members recently appointed and I think they are "outside" of the bubble too.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I do believe there is at least one if not more new board members recently appointed and I think they are "outside" of the bubble too.
Owain Stone was newly appointed and is outside the bubble. Tim North is newly appointed but far from outside the bubble. Catermole and Dalzial are so far inside the bubble its not funny

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
from the SMH this am, from Baden Stephenson re coach

The Rebels are in the process of interviewing coaching candidates and are working closely with Kafer to make sure the right man is selected for the job.
"We've short-listed them so we'll be going through an interview process within the next seven to 10 days," Stephenson said. "Probably at this stage we don't want to mention too many names. There are four guys that we will be interviewing at this stage."

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
from the SMH this am, from Baden Stephenson re coach

The Rebels are in the process of interviewing coaching candidates and are working closely with Kafer to make sure the right man is selected for the job.
"We've short-listed them so we'll be going through an interview process within the next seven to 10 days," Stephenson said. "Probably at this stage we don't want to mention too many names. There are four guys that we will be interviewing at this stage."
Let the speculation begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.