• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wingers, who needs em: 30 more ready to step straight in between normal pathways, league pathways and not quite Super level kiwis.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Koro will be gone too.
Personally think Koriobete moving on not the end of the world in terms of money he frees up - as got some good attributes but for whatever reason rugby smarts not so strong as just a bullocky strong winger that was probably lucky to represent the wallabies personally.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Koro will be gone too.

As the stories go, Coleman has been offered a dump truck of cash to play for the Exiles. I haven't seen much chatter about AC from the UK twerps, so wonder if it's gone off the boil a little. Who knows, it sits with Adam right now.

If he did go, and honestly good luck to him, we're not short of locks (see what I did there). Philip, shaved Merlin, the tall HP, big Red, Esri, and big Trev. Quite the....

....Lock Roster.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Personally think Koriobete moving on not the end of the world in terms of money he frees up - as got some good attributes but for whatever reason rugby smarts not so strong as just a bullocky strong winger that was probably lucky to represent the wallabies personally.

For someone who played league his ball retention in contact is surprisingly lacking.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If Koro went it’d open up opportunities for Tupou, who behind Petaia is probably the next best u21 outside back talent in the country. It also could open an opportunity for English or Hodge to perminately move to wing pushing Tuipulotu into calculation more often. It’s good alround.

Faulkner I believe is also up at seasons end, but the lack of LH outside Sa’aga might be wise to offer him another year, unless there is a quality reserve tighthead at another state in need of more game time than they are getting.

We are officially screwed if Quade were to leave. We have no fly half even close to Super quality beyond him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1_DvlZwhoXQAAdhYa.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^ it would be interesting to see all the data behind that and how much the top few contracts in each position skew the results. I.e. trying to get down to how contract value varies by position for essentially like for like players.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If 7s are ranked so lowly in the NH, they must be shaking their heads in bewilderment at the Wallabies continually playing two of them (arguably sometimes three of them) in test matches since 2015.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ it would be interesting to see all the data behind that and how much the top few contracts in each position skew the results. I.e. trying to get down to how contract value varies by position for essentially like for like players.
Mean v Median?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also explains a bit of the Wallabies' woes with 10 being the highest rated position...

Interesting that tight head prop is so valuable whereas loose head is almost the least valuable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If 7s are ranked so lowly in the NH, they must be shaking their heads in bewilderment at the Wallabies continually playing two of them (arguably sometimes three of them) in test matches since 2015.

I'm not really sure what your point is here. We should be playing 3 10s because they get paid very highly in Europe?

We've picked Pocock and Hooper consistently because they're two of our best players and we have struggled to find a decent number 8 for a number of years. Our best number 8s have been Pocock and McMahon (neither of which are traditional number 8s).

Mean v Median?

Yeah, knowing the median would be good and just being able to see all the data to get a better understanding of it at different levels of skill and experience.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it comes down to the way different countries play, in Aus and NZ no7 would be one of the highest paid. Cane, Savea, Hooper, Pocock. With the way the game is going hooker will be increasing in value in the next few years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it comes down to the way different countries play, in Aus and NZ no7 would be one of the highest paid. Cane, Savea, Hooper, Pocock. With the way the game is going hooker will be increasing in value in the next few years.

It's a really small sample size at that level though.

Pocock and Hooper are very highly paid but the average in Australia is probably pretty low. Wilkin, Hardwick, Miller, Wright, McReight, Cusack would all be on low value contracts.

In NZ, 7 would have been a far higher paid position when McCaw was still playing just because he'd have pushed up the average. Cane might be quite high up there but I wouldn't think he'd be one of the highest paid All Blacks (Read, Smith, Smith, Barrett, Whitelock, Retallick, Coles).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It could also just come down to the fact that Europe hasn't produced many great 7s. They all seem to play two 6's. Robshaw as an example, doesn't have a shade on any of Hooper, Pocock, Cane, Savea, etc.

I find Hooker being least valuable as interesting. I would have thought it far more crucial than loose forwards or outside backs. But again i guess value =/= amount paid, necessarily.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
^ It seems there a lot of cheap hookers in Europe. An undervalued profession.

Nevertheless, it looks like you can make more money hooking in Europe than here as quite a few Aussie 2s have left (at least partly) for the Euros.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
First loss but lots of positives. Good performance in a tough fixture. Season is young and lots to learn (mainly bloody discipline). Cut those penalties down and get more stability in the scrum and Rebels look the goods.

(Add To'omua in a couple months and that backline is sizzling).

Status
Not open for further replies.