• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
with Lomani there they can't have more marquees surely? I know there was compensation somewhat around Drua players previously but Frank Lomani is an international now.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I went back to Scooter's post and he said "tight 5 forward"....

Still, some questions -

- International as in Australian eligible but playing overseas?
- International foreign marquee import not eligible?

And if it's the latter, then my follow up question is.... are we still allowed foreign imports after the Force were cut?

I recall RA were going to get rid of those contracts as they're no longer required, and I would add that none of the Australian teams should be signing any foreign marquee players with only four teams.

Sorry, you're correct. Tight five forwards. If you include locks in the mix, they'd want to replace Coleman with another aggressive tight lock. The stocks are strong with Phillip, RHP, and Hosea. But we defiantly could do with another.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
and I would add that none of the Australian teams should be signing any foreign marquee players with only four teams.
Because those four Australian teams are competing so well? Australia has enough players for 2 & 1/2 competitive sides. Tahs and Reds catchment produce enough players for two sides that could be competitive against NZ sides with excess in the odd position here or there. The rest of Australia "completes" the half a good team. Even if we had 3 teams we'd still need marquee players (or somehow keep all our average to good players who are overseas) in order for all three to be at NZ level or close enough.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Saaga is the only prop there you'd invest in I reckon. Some good back up but could do a lot better

Need to do better. Definitely a weaker part of the squad. Faulkner and Ainsley useful backups. Saaga and Pona a bit of promise. But need some solid starters. I didn't rate Gibbon.

But where oh where are there better props who are eligible and available?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sorry, you're correct. Tight five forwards. If you include locks in the mix, they'd want to replace Coleman with another aggressive tight lock. The stocks are strong with Phillip, RHP, and Hosea. But we defiantly could do with another.

I'd say that is a very weak locking department, though everyone seems to be taking a hit in that area for next season, including NZ teams.

SO who is overseas, a capped international, that may come back. Won't be Arnold, Coleman, Carter or Skelton. Pyle, Neville & Arnold x 2 are not capped

soooo...
S.Timani & K.Douglas, ?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'd say that is a very weak locking department, though everyone seems to be taking a hit in that area for next season, including NZ teams.

SO who is overseas, a capped international, that may come back. Won't be Arnold, Coleman, Carter or Skelton. Pyle, Neville & Arnold x 2 are not capped

soooo.
S.Timani & K.Douglas, ?

L Timani. might be looking to come home with his wife to raise their child in Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was Lomani signed BEFORE he was capped like Malolua at the Reds?

I thought we were no longer doing foreign capped players, regardless of where they are from.

he was on a development contract last year, was capped late last year and signed to a full contract last this year

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
you wouldn't think Pyle would come home, earning a lot in France, little or no chance to be capped for Australia, eligible for France (but overlooked), nor Kane Douglas. Might be a pom at the end of their career, before taking up superannuation in Japan ? i cant think of anyone specific.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Saaga is the only prop there you'd invest in I reckon. Some good back up but could do a lot better
Fa’amasuili is a bit of a Tongan Thor lite. If his scrummaging can come along he will rocket to the preferred TH at the Rebels. Ainsley is also still rather young, however seriously overrated. He needs to come along like Tom Robertson was finally starting to show before he got injured. The prop stocks are okay if they stay fit. A few of them need to offer more around the park or help bend the line

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Evan Olmstead the Canadian lock might be worth a look. He’s been sensational in the mitre 10 for a few seasons now and is an Aussie that’s struggled to get opportunities here before he had to move overseas. From memory he was MOTM in last years final.

Any overseas player given they haven’t been announced to me indicates they might be heading to the World Cup. Given the contracting limitations, especially financially it wouldn’t surprise me to see someone from an emerging nation sign or a Japanese Sunwolves player wanting to continue to test himself at Super Rugby level.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
nbytac_4QwqLPncfGMKi3U8fNh9Yzn6F_5qudRO5mlww_cppzhV_voGtuDdC4i7rv8hYuXt9PHFGx0Armn-uvEKmYhyip7HiTTVaie6sILZUccRZj5aLLrSUhrnyFEj23ftwUIvQpWEVQ1pnrQBgETrmD2uSM447dVdsaxI=s0-d-e1-ft