• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Anyway back to all things Mexican.

Have you lot received your membership packs and cards yet? The club said they'd be posted by Christmas but here we are, a fortnight out and no sign of the swag.

Yes, have my membership card only - you can pick up the packs at the first few (three I believe) home games. They had a members day in December but I couldn't go. Would have preferred the whole lot was sent out together, but never mind...

Give them a call, Weeksie will sort you out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
JERSEY COLOURS

In the UK blue historically signifies royalist (anglican) and red signifies reactionary catholic. Compare these in the world of football:
Man U v Man City
Sheffield United v Sheffield Wednesday
Chelsea and Crystal Palace v Charlton [I'm not sure of the gunners which started from the military]
My home team was Reading FC, the Royals (as it include Windsor)

Here's another one. What is the National colour of the Netherlands? Then consider William of Orange and the European attempt to resolve Ireland for protestants n- and we still have the Orangemen marches today.

Sorry, little sideline there. For this discussion it sort of explains why both Red and Blue sporting jerseys are so prevalent.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

Have you lot received your membership packs and cards yet? The club said they'd be posted by Christmas but here we are, a fortnight out and no sign of the swag.

i dont think they are posting them this year, it was pick up on the fan day (i wandered down to collect ours) or the first few home games. i suspect it is to save on postage.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Anzac jersey might be interesting,

Annoyed that they have resorted back to blue,and doing the same old thing again. To many teams have blue jerseys and it's bloody annoying. 15 team comp with 6 teams having blue in there home kit is just stupid, time for a change.

New away jersey is a disgrace.

Something that stands out in Melbourne as well, enough AFL teams here with blue in the kit as well.

Victoria's colours are navy blue, white, and silver. Same as NSW's colour is insipid blue.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think traditional colours or state colours really mean much to sport teams unless it’s a true representative team..

Just look at the BBL, they purposefully chose contrasting colours across all the teams to avoid clashes and assist in brand identification, it’s pretty bloody successful IMO.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I don’t think traditional colours or state colours really mean much to sport teams unless it’s a true representative team..

Just look at the BBL, they purposefully chose contrasting colours across all the teams to avoid clashes and assist in brand identification, it’s pretty bloody successful IMO.

Yeah but, Western Force, for whatever reason, are the only Aus Super team not to wear their state colours. No idea why they picked blue when their colours are traditionally black and gold.

The BBL is kind of anti-tradition in a lot of respects and it seems to be working well for them.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah but, Western Force, for whatever reason, are the only Aus Super team not to wear their state colours. No idea why they picked blue when their colours are traditionally black and gold.

The BBL is kind of anti-tradition in a lot of respects and it seems to be working well for them.

Because blue is considered a more marketable colour for merchandise then other colours, Western Force almost went with Black and Gold as their colours, but they weren’t considered to be marketable enough.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Because blue is considered a more marketable colour for merchandise then other colours, Western Force almost went with Black and Gold as their colours, but they weren’t considered to be marketable enough.
Wow that's a revelation. Their jumpers were the most boring ever. Black and gold would have made more historical sense and been more attractive.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That is my understand too. It is all about marketability and product sales and, as far as I understand, blue sells much better than almost all other colours. I am pretty sure that is exactly why so much of the Wallabies training gear is blue.

Gold, on the other hand, is unfortunately a poor seller (even back when we were more successful).

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

I've got my membership card, but i'll ahve to pick up the lanyard/hat/other shit at the first home game. Ordered a card for my son too, but that hasn't arrived.

Just get Laurie on the blower and he'll sort it for ya.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Emailed Laurie and apparently there was a problem with the distributor over christmas. Cards are still being sent out, likely to land this week.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'd be happy just to get the membership card.

I never wear the scarf or hat, and have a bit of an aversion to all the plastic wrapping of plastic and synthetic objects.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

Marketing

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'd be happy just to get the membership card.

I never wear the scarf or hat, and have a bit of an aversion to all the plastic wrapping of plastic and synthetic objects.
You will be able to get a mobile phone version of your membership card too for scanning. Not sure when that will be available but it is mentioned in the flyer that came with the plastic card.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's a great idea. Ideally there should be a tick-box form when you sign up, allowing you to subtract all the showbag merch that inevitably finds its way to the Salvos op shop