• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Happy to have Hardwick and Wilkin. Yet to be impressed by Wells.

I think Wells has played a few good games and is a really good depth signing. I'd say he'd be 3rd choice 8 behind Isi and Leota and 3rd choice 6 after Kemeny and Leota. Very decent backup.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Koegelenberg is the biggest mystery of the squad list.

I believe he returned to SAF during the pandemic but haven’t heard anything to suggest he’s officially left or is planning on returning. Would drastically help the lock options for next year, considering he was the preferred starter when Super Rugby closed down.

It would be nice to have Philip, Hosea, and Koegelenberg all in the 23. The Big K was impressive in his starts.

Anyone heard any more about Steve Cummins coming back?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I have Moore, the 7s blokes and Misa weren't part of the original Rebels squad. I also thought they were going back to 7s.

I have no idea about the 7s guys but I wouldn't mind betting they stay with the squad until a decision on whether the Olympics are going ahead next year is made. Particularly Anderson, he has said he wants to play 15s longer term.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have no idea about the 7s guys but I wouldn't mind betting they stay with the squad until a decision on whether the Olympics are going ahead next year is made. Particularly Anderson, he has said he wants to play 15s longer term.
I can see flexible contracts with those guys to be in and out of the squad with wages subsidized by their RA contracts so they have a right to call them into camp when needed.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Backrow should be:

6. Kemeny
7. Wilkin
8. Naisirani

Love that backrow and Wilkin has impressed. I worry that Naisarani has not been picked in the Wallabies. He is the best line bender in the comp and goes all day.
Any salary reduction (I hear Rupa/RA discussions are advanced) will trigger a contract breach and Isi would be off to France for a million bucks before you could say ‘je veux un million maintenant’

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I think he was dropped as a message to get fitter and work harder off the ball.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think he was dropped as a message to get fitter and work harder off the ball.

And if he reads the message as “time to move on” then that itself is self full-filling and a good result for the WBs. As long as the chance for a return is real.

He just needs to knuckle under.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I mean sure, assuming he stays fatter than he should and doesn't step up. But I agree with everything LMU said - he's proven line bender and heavy hitter. First priority is retaining a fit and firing bloke but if he doesn't knuckle under then yeah, go earn your francs

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Philip confirming on the Aussie Rugby show he’s still heading to France and that it’s only a 1yr deal with the intention to return to Aus after. Their season finishes in July so will still be back for some domestic and all internationals next year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Philip confirming on the Aussie Rugby show he’s still heading to France and that it’s only a 1yr deal with the intention to return to Aus after. Their season finishes in July so will still be back for some domestic and all internationals next year.

Good bloke. More than fair enough to make a bit of cash in these tough times. Sounds like he's keen to be a Rebel.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Word from Brisbane is that both Carter and Mason Gordon have both definitely signed for the Rebels.
Both will be involved in preseason and then it is a matter of selection for Carter with Mason most likely to return to Brisbane to play his club football and develop.

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
Representatives from Dewar shield clubs have been told that all young players will be sent away to test them at a higher level. dominance at Dewar Shield does not equate to Super Rugby. If they are older and a bit more established they can stay.

Basically the rebels have no interest in pushing players to the Dewar Shield. Hence if you ask me the Dewar shield has lost some quality since 2015.

It's interesting because you go to all these Rebels games and the majority of the crowd support Kiwi teams. You go to the clubs and most of the youngsters of Islander/Kiwi heritage support Kiwi teams or the Reds. Realistically you can understand why they are disenfranchised, for the majority of aspiring players it feels like you have to leave to be asked to come back.

Hopefully the rise of the Super Aus Domestic comp and the club championship will encourage the rebels to look at more local pathways.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Representatives from Dewar shield clubs have been told that all young players will be sent away to test them at a higher level. dominance at Dewar Shield does not equate to Super Rugby. If they are older and a bit more established they can stay.

Basically the rebels have no interest in pushing players to the Dewar Shield. Hence if you ask me the Dewar shield has lost some quality since 2015.

It's interesting because you go to all these Rebels games and the majority of the crowd support Kiwi teams. You go to the clubs and most of the youngsters of Islander/Kiwi heritage support Kiwi teams or the Reds. Realistically you can understand why they are disenfranchised, for the majority of aspiring players it feels like you have to leave to be asked to come back.

Hopefully the rise of the Super Aus Domestic comp and the club championship will encourage the rebels to look at more local pathways.

And there lies the difference between Melbourne and Perth.

Great day of Finals Rugby in Perth tomorrow culminating in Associates v Cottesloe
All games on field on will be live streamed on the RugbyWA YouTube Page and website.
The Fortescue Premiership Final will also be replayed on Free TV station NITV on Sunday, October 18 at 11:30am AWST.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
And there lies the difference between Melbourne and Perth.

Great day of Finals Rugby in Perth tomorrow culminating in Associates v Cottesloe
All games on field on will be live streamed on the RugbyWA YouTube Page and website.
The Fortescue Premiership Final will also be replayed on Free TV station NITV on Sunday, October 18 at 11:30am AWST.

I'm sorry but buzz off this thread now, Vic rugby broadcasts finals to. But hey we have not had a local game of rugby this season. So right now you can go elsewhere.