• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wasn't he contracted until 2022? How does he get out of his contract unscathed yet Phillip can't?

He shouldn't! Just saw he is contracted so yeh - should stay!

However, perhaps the Rebels will release him and aim to keep Orr and Gibbon who they seem to rate higher?

Don't know, but you are right! I am getting frustrated by hearing players are leaving when we know they are under contract. Guess the clubs can release them if the player wants, but not sure why you would let Philip go, but I would understand Saaga.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think every situation is different. Perhaps the Sa’aga situation was mutually beneficial for both parties, eg. He has a contract on offer for the next few years and equally the Rebels were happy to shed his contract for financial reasons.

I agree if a player signs he should stay and vise versa with clubs, however if both parties are happy with the decision then it’s for the best and nobody has been slighted.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
massive implications on the 7s team. I can somewhat understand Holland making the jump but Anderson?

Unless its just a chance to get some rugby under their belt considering we may not see any world series 7s for a while?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Unless some sort of regional hub thing funded by World Rugby happens, I would imagine that Sevens would be a write off for 2020. I wouldn't begrudge any of them looking for some extra cash/pro training, but you'd hope that all parties would be taking it reasonably seriously.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
massive implications on the 7s team. I can somewhat understand Holland making the jump but Anderson?

Unless its just a chance to get some rugby under their belt considering we may not see any world series 7s for a while?

Tim Walsh said on "Rugby Nation" that they just want the guys to get some rugby. If they can get a Super Rugby gig for a few months great if not they want them to play in the Shute Shield (so they can all still train at RA HQ). I saw Rod Davies is going to play for West Harbour.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Does it say anywhere how long they're signed for?

Tim Walsh said on "Rugby Nation" that they just want the guys to get some rugby. If they can get a Super Rugby gig for a few months great if not they want them to play in the Shute Shield (so they can all still train at RA HQ). I saw Rod Davies is going to play for West Harbour.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
This is interesting:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/private-equity-giant-in-talks-with-rugby-australia-20200610-p5519e.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1591773052

M
oreso for this:

The Herald can reveal the Australian arm of American firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts is in early talks with Rugby Australia, in collaboration with the Melbourne Rebels, about taking a stake in the sport worth "hundreds of millions of dollars", according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.

Not sure what it exactly means, and how they plan to collaborate with the Rebels. I'm sure the Government are happy to encourage investers, given the longhistory of PPP's in Victoria. Reduces the government liability, but maintains a face for major events (Bledisloe, B&I tour, etc...).

More fun to play out.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Rebels (management) have been very involved with the 2020 “return to Rugby” plans, with Baden steering the ship, apparently. I see this as further planning for 2021 and beyond, so probably not so much the Rebels specifically, just that they have been involved in the think tank.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The Rebels (management) have been very involved with the 2020 “return to Rugby” plans, with Baden steering the ship, apparently. I see this as further planning for 2021 and beyond, so probably not so much the Rebels specifically, just that they have been involved in the think tank.

Still, imagine if they did a 50/50 investment withte vic government? Could open up a few oppotunites here in Melbourne.

Beter still, imagine what they could do at Rugby AU with that sort of cash. I think KKR would look to set up a Trans-Tasman comp, with WF and a PI team(s). Money woulld not be a big concern anymore.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I missed something? What was said?

From the article:

It is not clear on what terms the talks with KKR are progressing. With private investment, an individual or consortium might buy an outright stake in a football club (such as Bart Campbell with the Melbourne Storm or Harold Mitchell and Andrew Cox's purchase of the Rebels) or a competition (Larry Kestelman and the NBL). Australian sport does not have a long history of private equity involvement.
Only Archer Capital's $137 million investment in Supercars, headed by former RA director Peter Wiggs, which is widely acknowledged to have been a failure, stands as a home-grown example of a private-equity model in Australia.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
And were back!

schedule.png