• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
This is the brightest bit of news from Baden's update:

I can also confirm that our four home matches will be played at the Stockade, AAMI Park. It also now seems likely that by July 10, our first home game, we will have scope under the Victorian Government’s health advice and regulations to have a modest number of members and partners to watch the match live at the venue. We are hopeful of having a number of options for facilitating a safe and secure environment for our members and partners to attend, and we will continue to work towards this outcome.]

Hard work and paintenance pays off.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Serious question - how come the rebels keep signing new players whereas the other franchises seem to be bound by the 35 player squad rule and a salary cap?

Fair question.

From a quick look at each team's website.....

Reds: 34 players
Brumbies: 37
Rebels: 39 (but 42 with the three new signings)
Warratahs: 40

I'd say the 35 player limit doesn't seem to be a thing any longer.

I thought that Skelton wasn't supposed to arrive till next season, bet he's obviously here now. Maybe RA are making short-term allowances for Sevens players? If so, you would expect other teams to pick up a couple of guys as well. Otherwise, no idea.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Serious question - how come the rebels keep signing new players whereas the other franchises seem to be bound by the 35 player squad rule and a salary cap?

You'd imagine that there's a lot of players leaving, have they confirmed they're over 35 for 2021??

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Possibly they have loosened the rules for the AU comp this year, and I know movements are (were) allowed when there were long term injuries, can also pluck players out of clubland for one off coverage, etc. I don't think the number of players on their websites mean a lot though.

There must be some reason for it, the 7s players going to the Rebels is otherwise bewildering given that the 7s squad players are playing with Sydney clubs so they can all continue 7s training there.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Possibly they have loosened the rules for the AU comp this year, and I know movements are (were) allowed when there were long term injuries, can also pluck players out of clubland for one off coverage, etc. I don't think the number of players on their websites mean a lot though.

There must be some reason for it, the 7s players going to the Rebels is otherwise bewildering given that the 7s squad players are playing with Sydney clubs so they can all continue 7s training there.

Tim Walsh on "Rugby Nation" said if players can get into a Super Rugby program great otherwise they will be playing SS and training at RA HQ. All players will still be monitored by the 7s program.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d say there is a high probability the players are still contracted by RA. Anderson and Skelton were both players of interest to the club post Olympics, but I hadn’t heard anything about Holland, so there was a natural fit there.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’d say there is a high probability the players are still contracted by RA. Anderson and Skelton were both players of interest to the club post Olympics, but I hadn’t heard anything about Holland, so there was a natural fit there.

Prior to COVID-19 (and Olympics being delayed) Skelton signed with the Rebels for season 2021. Due to the fact there is no sevens tournaments he was released a couple of months early (7s contracts were to end in August after the Olympics). Tim Walsh did say on Rugby Nation that they will have some conversations to see if they can get him back for the Olympics.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RE: Holland.........

Lewis Holland says his end destination was always to play Super Rugby but he's making an early pit-stop at Melbourne Rebels before next year's delayed Tokyo Olympics.

The world series sevens tournament and Rugby Australia Sevens program has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, leaving Australia's men's players either training solo or looking to hook up with Super or local clubs.

The Sevens veteran, who played in the Rio Olympics, signed with the Rebels ahead of their Super Rugby AU competition round one match on July 4 against the Brumbies in Canberra.
The 27-year-old said he always planned to return after Tokyo to the 15-a-side game, which he last played more than five years ago, so was happy to have a early crack.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...nd-gets-hang-of-15s-rugby/?cs=14240#gsc.tab=0

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
What position does he play, somewhere in the backs?
I don't see him cracking the match day 23, only way through would be mass injuries.
Absolutely no idea. I could see him playing 15 or even 12 but I worry he’d be too small for 12.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
NRL clubs are circling Koroibete anticipating RA won’t be able to guarantee his salary next season.

Melbourne would be the obvious choice, given he's on the record stating that he wants to stay in Melbourne.

Dont think RA will give up the reinng JEM to Loig, so it jsut puts more pressure on RA to get a TV rights deal done. Subtle pressure being applied from the Murdoch stable.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Melbourne would be the obvious choice, given he's on the record stating that he wants to stay in Melbourne.

Dont think RA will give up the reinng JEM to Loig, so it jsut puts more pressure on RA to get a TV rights deal done. Subtle pressure being applied from the Murdoch stable.
And Vunivalu is leaving Melbourne next year so they’re in the market for another winger. Agree though, RA will do their best to keep him.